MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have installed the led turb singals but Now my turn singals are hyperblinking. So i orderd a set of load resistors from R&G (designcorse) of 21 watts. In the discription they say that if you have led blinkers you need this one. But in my maintanance manual its said that the turn singals are only 6 watts is this overkill? What load resistors did you guys use? And do i have the correct ones?

Thnx alot!

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Some needed information is missing, i.e. WHAT YEAR BRUTALE? Which model?

The 21 watt load sounds high to me. Standard incandescent bulbs run around 10 watts each so you have to replace that amount of resistance in each bulb circuit.

You can instal that resistance, but don't be surprised if the lights then don't flash at all.

I would think 6 watts per bulb channel is what you need.

Did you do 4 bulbs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some needed information is missing, i.e. WHAT YEAR BRUTALE? Which model?

The 21 watt load sounds high to me. Standard incandescent bulbs run around 10 watts each so you have to replace that amount of resistance in each bulb circuit.

You can instal that resistance, but don't be surprised if the lights then don't flash at all.

I would think 6 watts per bulb channel is what you need.

Did you do 4 bulbs?
I have the 2015 model.

The workshop manual says that each bulb works with 6watts. replaced the 2 front and 2 rear indicators. At designcorse there selling only 10 or 21 watt resistors and says that if you replace the oem bulb with led you should go for 21 watts.

Maybe put 2 resistors (each side of the rear indicator) and see how the flashing rate is?

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
The 2015 800, or 800RR???

If the bulbs were all replaced, and the bulbs were originally 6w incandescent bulbs, then you need 6 x 2 = 12w resistance per channel.

The bulb rating should be printed on the removed bulbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sorry the 800 hehe

I get it that you need to replace the load to same wattage but why are they selling the resistors made specially for mv agusta 10 or 21 watts?

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Im sorry the 800 hehe

I get it that you need to replace the load to same wattage but why are they selling the resistors made specially for mv agusta 10 or 21 watts?
Unless you are replacing load at the flasher relay (intermittency) then the load needs to be split left and right as those circuits are normally separate.

CAN BUS tech may be different, but I doubt it.

Why do they sell them that way? I don't know. Maybe it works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just to be sure.. If i put 1 21watts resistor on the left side (rear) and 1 on the right (rear) of 21 watts it should make a difference on the rate of flashing?

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
It will make a difference. Whether that difference is acceptable is a different story. Were it me, I'd use 10W per side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After replacing your bike's original 10 watt incandescent turn signals with R&G Micro Indicators incandescent turn signals (RG.RG370), OR after replacing your bike's original 10 watt incandescent turn signals with R&G Micro Indicators LED turn signals (RG.RG371), you may find that the signals flash too fast or too slow. Adding this resistor resolves this issue. No cutting, crimping or soldering required.

These are inline resistors, NO wire cutting or soldering required.

Includes one pair of 21.5 ohm resistors with bullet connectors.

Not for use if:

you're replacing original LED turn signals with R&G LED turn signals (do not use a resistor)
you're replacing original 21 watt turn signals with R&G LED turn signals (use resistor RG.RGR0001)
this is from the official R&G site. looks like i got the 10Watt inline resistors (RGR0002) the resistors for 21 Watt turn signals are the RGR0001 series. :laugh:
but still have to solder 1 resistor for each circuit?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had this same issue when I installed the NRC led indicators on all 4 corners. Each stock indicator bulb is 6W, find the wattage of the new indicators on each corner then use Ohm's law to determine the resistance. You need to make the LED indicators come close to using 6W to prevent hyperflashing. In my case, I could not find the wattage specs for the NRC indicators so I just estimated between 1.5 to 3W for each indicator. With the Ohm's law calculator, I determined that I needed between 40 to 48 ohm resistors. I found 47 ohm 10W resistors at Fry's electronics and wired it in on each corner and that fixed my hyper flashing issue.

I'm sure my total wattage is still less than 6W but it has been working pretty well. This is just my experience dealing and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had this same issue when I installed the NRC led indicators on all 4 corners. Each stock indicator bulb is 6W, find the wattage of the new indicators on each corner then use Ohm's law to determine the resistance. You need to make the LED indicators come close to using 6W to prevent hyperflashing. In my case, I could not find the wattage specs for the NRC indicators so I just estimated between 1.5 to 3W for each indicator. With the Ohm's law calculator, I determined that I needed between 40 to 48 ohm resistors. I found 47 ohm 10W resistors at Fry's electronics and wired it in on each corner and that fixed my hyper flashing issue.

I'm sure my total wattage is still less than 6W but it has been working pretty well. This is just my experience dealing and I hope it helps.

ahh this helps. doing some calc. the specs of the resistors said that he is 21,5 ohms.
So I = U/R gives 12 / 21,5 ohms = around 0,55 A
p = 12 x 0,55 = 6,6W but afcourse if have to add the 2 LEDs which are max 6W per circuit. so if im correct one load resistor should be enough per circuit?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It looks like that 21.5ohm resistor you have should be good enough to cover the right or left side front and rear indicators. You would need one for each side. I would wire that in on the rear since it's easier to hide. I never tested using a single resistor per side though as I just replaced each in line resistor in the NRC indicators. I cut open the heat shrink tubing and soldered the new ones and sealed it with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

If the resistance is too low the indicators would blink once and shut off, that would mean it's drawing more than 6W per indicator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why did you replace the original inline resistor? That ones is ment to limit the current going through the diode if im correct.

This resistor needs to be placed parralel at the wiring loop so i have to let the original resistor in place?

What happends when the blinkers shut off? A broken fuse or could it be a failure in the psu/ecu?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The original resistor was wrong, the NRC indicators came with 1W 100ohm resistors, when replacing only the rears it was working fine but hyper flashes when you apply the brakes. When you replace the fronts and the rears it hyper flashes no matter what.

In my case there was no damage to a fuse when the blinkers shut off, it worked fine after I put the correct resistor in place.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Alright i have installed one resistor per circuit and it is working fine now! So no more hyperflashing for me haha
What is the rating of the resistor you settled on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the rating of the resistor you settled on?
Well it said 21,5 ohms but when i meassured it, it was a bit lower. But after soldering it parralel to the LED`s the total resistance was around 14,5 ohms so it must consume about 10W for the rear indicators. adding the front indicators should be around 11 - 13 W, the same as 2 normal light bulbs

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
....Just like what was recommended in post 2....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had mixed results when trying to use resistors and having to wire them at each indicator was inconvenient. I ended up replacing the indicator relay. Much simpler, single place to wire and fix all indicators at once. Inexpensive also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am struggling with the same hyper-blinking issues right now. I have the New Rage Cycles LED turn signals on the front and rear (tail tidy) on my 2014 Brutale 800. I wired in the R&G 21.5 Ohm resistors on the two rear turn signals. I'm puzzled because it solved the issue on the right side, but not the left. I tried swapping the resistors around, and still it was fixed on the right side but not the left.

I had mixed results when trying to use resistors and having to wire them at each indicator was inconvenient. I ended up replacing the indicator relay. Much simpler, single place to wire and fix all indicators at once. Inexpensive also.

I think I actually have an LED flasher relay laying around from another bike build. Where is the relay located on the Brutale 800? (I'm away from home/ my bike for a couple days). 2-pin or 3-pin?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts