MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The above bike is here in Michigan and I have a few questions if you could help me here in making a decision.

The dealer wants 15K for the bike. Is that a fair price for a year old bike?

Are there any inherent issues with this motorcycle? Is it reliable?

I plan on using it as a 2nd bike. It will never be redlined, road hard or anything other abuse. I just have always admired MV's and this seems to be a good choice. Primarily as a ride to go to bike nights or local events.

Is it rider friendly for city driving?

To give a little background on my riding style I have a Honda ST1300 with 106K on it. I am 60 yr. old. The bike has never been redlined or for that matter much over 6K in revs and for the high 90 percentile I am in 5th gear by 40 mph.

The Brutale really caught my eye. The seating position is comfortable for what I will be using it for. I doubt I will breach 3K a year on it.

So any insights, info, warnings or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
22,663 Posts
The 1090 is an excellent all-around bike. I think you will surprise yourself and put many more than 3k on it in a year. I don't think $15k is unreasonable for a year old new bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a new 2013 1090 ABS, not an RR. No miles on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is a new 2013 1090 ABS, not an RR. No miles on it.
$15K is the MSRP, so basically there is no discount for it being a 1 model year old bike. Given this is the price range for the 2013 1090RR (MSRP around $19K), I would expect the 1090 ABS to be less than $13K. I'd keep looking.

The 1090RR I pointed you to on Ebay would be the same price when you add in the ~$500 for shipping.

-steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$15K is the MSRP, so basically there is no discount for it being a 1 model year old bike. Given this is the price range for the 2013 1090RR (MSRP around $19K), I would expect the 1090 ABS to be less than $13K. I'd keep looking.

The 1090RR I pointed you to on Ebay would be the same price when you add in the ~$500 for shipping.

-steve
That is 15k OTD. He is asking 14k for it.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Still sounds high Gug. Send your dealer these links below and get him to drop the price another $1K. Good luck.

2013 Mv Agusta Brutale 1090 R Sportbike = $13990 - http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Mv-Agusta-Brutale-1090-R-110459545

2013 Mv Agusta Brutale 1090 Sportbike = $12998 - http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Mv-Agusta-Brutale-1090-110794118

2012 MV AGUSTA BRUTALE 1090 R = $11498 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MV-Agusta-BRUTALE-R-2012-MV-AGUSTA-BRUTALE-1090-R-BRAND-NEW-SAVE-5000-/171276976668?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e0e7421c&item=171276976668&pt=US_motorcycles

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree the 1090 ABS (they don't sell the R) is a good choice for your style since it's power and torque is lower in the rpm range than the RR. Though I think either would deliver impressive performance for you and may "inspire" you to push a bit more :) Regardless, you won't be disappointed in performance.

Heck, with the exchange rate, you might want to look North of the border and get a "10% Discount".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was browsing the forum and came across what appears to be an issue.

Is this an inherent issue in all the Brutale's?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was browsing the forum and came across what appears to be an issue.

Is this an inherent issue in all the Brutale's?
I wouldn't worry about this. The first time I rode a 1090RR (same engine tune as the 2013 1090 I believe) is after I bought mine. I was expecting it to be a snatchy throttle beast. It's not. It's actually fairly docile around town. You do have to be precise with the throttle control, though. I find this to be the case on a lot of fuel injected bikes, like my 8V Guzzis. The only time it can be a bit snatchy is if you are coasting off the throttle to a low speed in 1st gear, then crack the throttle open a little. I find it best to use some clutch control for this situation.

I'm finding it to be a fairly comfortable, and easy to ride, gonzo bike. I love it!

-steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't worry about this. The first time I rode a 1090RR (same engine tune as the 2013 1090 I believe) is after I bought mine. I was expecting it to be a snatchy throttle beast. It's not. It's actually fairly docile around town. You do have to be precise with the throttle control, though. I find this to be the case on a lot of fuel injected bikes, like my 8V Guzzis. The only time it can be a bit snatchy is if you are coasting off the throttle to a low speed in 1st gear, then crack the throttle open a little. I find it best to use some clutch control for this situation.

I'm finding it to be a fairly comfortable, and easy to ride, gonzo bike. I love it!

-steve

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
To be fair, I have been considering a slipper clutch for my 1090R as the engine braking is pretty severe, which lead me to overtaking some cars from a light in 1st to change lanes, letting off the gas and having the rear lock up for the next 20' to the light. Early downshifts to 2nd have the same result. I don't mind it , which is why I'm only considering. If you don't care for engine braking lockup, the 1090RR has a slipper equipped or you can get one for the 1090.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow! You've had the rear lock up merely by letting off the throttle? I wouldn't have thought a slipper clutch would have done anything in this situation. My 1090RR definitely doesn't do this. Now downshifts would be a different matter. My RR is the first bike I"ve ridden with a slipper, and I really like the smooth downshifts.

-steve

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
David;
start downshifting without the clutch......you won't be sliding the rear.....:drummer:

only bike I have with a slipper is my Aprilia RSVR with its pneumatic slipper, its fun to play with.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Compared to my 910S my 1090RR was leaps and bounds more refined. Be forewarned it not a docile bike by any means, 15K for a non RR seems steep. I paid 12k for my two year old left over RR. I live in Colorado and it may be the same bike as in that link but Fay Myers has a brand new RR for less than that and I'm sure they would smoke you a deal for a much better bike than a standard 1090.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Congrats Multipass!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts