MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buyed this engine from italy but i am won1dering which model excatly is this head and why is it gear driven. I am restoring one old mv discovolante and this was best motor that i found to buy. Can someone tell me more from what they see.
Thanks
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Rim
Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Welcome to the family !! Where in the world are you?
That engine has an external magneto !!! I don't think that is a normal street bike engine from MV. Never seen one with the magneto like that. Looks like an ex-race bike engine? Any numbers on the crankcase?
There are some knowledgeable members here. I hope they will provide some information for you.
There are some clubs in Europe that have libraries available. You might contact them for advice too.
MV AGUSTA CLUB SWITZERLAND
MV Owners Club of Great Britain
Classic MV Agusta - The Bike Museum

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 175CS was (as far as I know) a chain driven OHC not bevel or gear driven...

The engine number is on top of the carter on the RHS
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Building Automotive lighting Rim

What are the 1st 2 digits?

as for the frame, what are the 1st 2 digits on the front of the headstock? The numbers should be stamped horizontal

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's quite a find- at least the engine cover is from a Squalo, possibly the entire engine. If it's a Squalo it will have a 450xxx/5v engine number- if the engine will turn over you could shift through the gears, the Squalo is the only 175 with a 5 speed transmission- the flat/horizontal intake studs are also found on the Squalo heads. The gear drive assembly was probably done outside of the factory, but it's possibly a race shop item- I know of at least 1 shop that built a spur gear camshaft drive for the 175 MV. If you disassemble the engine take lots of photos- I'd like to see how it was done. I'll attach a photo of the camshaft drive from the MV four cylinder 750- yours is probably a similar cassette assembly- you'll want to note any punched 'witness marks' on the gear train if you take it apart.
Rick
Product Gas Machine Auto part Cylinder

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
That engine was obviously from a race bike..... You could check for number of transmission gears by simply shifting manually on the bench. You will need to rotate the drive sprocket to allow the different gears inside to be selected, as the engagement dogs must be moved to allow meshing as you shift.

·
Registered
181 Posts
@Danielcetinic What are the 1st 3 digits of the frame?
132 = 175CS ('53-'58) OHC
148 = 175 Pushrod '58-'59

1 - 10 of 10 Posts