MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing Muzzy's on my fans. Going over the fan blades I find that all of the edges of the blades have burrs. Because the blades are curved they are to be considered airfoils, same as wings or propellers. The leading edge of an airfoil is critical in that any roughness whatsoever will cause the airflow to break away and create turbulence as it passes over the blade which then reduces it's efficiency. Witness Aircraft going in due to ice on the leading edge or just frost on the surface. This may seem to be nit picking and maybe it is but anything that can be done to increase the airflow through the radiator is worth it.

I lightly sanded all of the edges (leading, trailing and tips) to remove the burrs. Don't be heavy handed about it for if you take off too much there's the danger of imbalance. I also waxed the fans 'cause they appear to be raw Aluminum and that'll corode pretty quick if not protected.

I have no question that it will increase the CFM of the blades.

I also notice that the inlet for the upper rad is at the top left. The outlet is 1/2 way down on the right. The coolant moves horizontally from left to right through the tubes. Someone like to enlighten me as to how the coolant below the outlet gets to the outlet? Is the pressure/flow strong enough to flush it through the whole rad? Seems to me it'll just sit there and stagnate.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use whatever I happen to have around at the time. All I wanted to do was stave off oxidation for awhile as the wax won't last forever.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had the chance to use mine yet but as I recollect from posts on here it's a mixed bag. Muzzy claims an increase of 30% over the stock fan airflow which I believe after looking at the stockers.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
RECON8541 said:
are people seeing good results with the muzzy fans?
They help, maybe knock a degree or so off the temp, but they are not the holy grail of cooling, but there again being aluminium they won't melt like the originals

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do the stock fans actually melt?
Just wondering if it has happend to anyone because I will have my bike soon and am wondering if I should spend the money on fans but for one deg.... don't know.
I am going to try the impeller though see if that does anything.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
three-one-two said:
Do the stock fans actually melt?
Just wondering if it has happend to anyone because I will have my bike soon and am wondering if I should spend the money on fans but for one deg.... don't know.
I am going to try the impeller though see if that does anything.
The tips of the fans melt, reducing their efficiency.

They also make an annoying scratching sound on the fan guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Geeez, that fan WAS totally fooked Stirls:jsm: But you reckon the Muzzy is not making any difference temp wise?? Maybe that indicates the fans do very little to actually reduce temp.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
lee said:
Installing Muzzy's on my fans. Going over the fan blades I find that all of the edges of the blades have burrs. Because the blades are curved they are to be considered airfoils, same as wings or propellers. The leading edge of an airfoil is critical in that any roughness whatsoever will cause the airflow to break away and create turbulence as it passes over the blade which then reduces it's efficiency. Witness Aircraft going in due to ice on the leading edge or just frost on the surface. This may seem to be nit picking and maybe it is but anything that can be done to increase the airflow through the radiator is worth it.

I lightly sanded all of the edges (leading, trailing and tips) to remove the burrs. Don't be heavy handed about it for if you take off too much there's the danger of imbalance. I also waxed the fans 'cause they appear to be raw Aluminum and that'll corode pretty quick if not protected.

I also notice that the inlet for the upper rad is at the top left. The outlet is 1/2 way down on the right. The coolant moves horizontally from left to right through the tubes. Someone like to enlighten me as to how the coolant below the outlet gets to the outlet? Is the pressure/flow strong enough to flush it through the whole rad? Seems to me it'll just sit there and stagnate.
I'm no fan of the F4 cooling system myself mind you and I'm speculating a bit here Lee, but I would assume that it is the end cap pieces of each radiator that carries the fluid through from each row, column. I mean it probably would be more efficent with a more progressive / linear design, but I would assume it is still flowing this way none the less.

·
MV Cellist
4,593 Posts
RECON8541,

they work like the factory ones, I have not notice the running temperature to be lower if that's what you are asking, but I can tell you that I no longer worry about them melting... and that is worth something.

BTW, another little thing I noticed is the Muzzy fans sound differernt, a bit more metallic ring to the way they spin I guess?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The claim of a 30% increase in airflow may be correct but that won't cool things down any better in the city because THE WATER PUMP DOESN'T WORK VERY WELL AT IDLE.

·
Registered
271 Posts
lee said:

Intresting point you make about the cold water intake being half way down the tank wall.
i wonder if it was at the bottom of the tank if it would help make cooling any more efficient.
We all know that hot water will be at the top and cooler water at the bottom.
Is there room inside the fairings to make a radiator with a bottom pick up. ??
Anyone else had any experience with this type of modification.??

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Broms said:
Geeez, that fan WAS totally fooked Stirls:jsm: But you reckon the Muzzy is not making any difference temp wise?? Maybe that indicates the fans do very little to actually reduce temp.
I haven't replaced the upper fan Craig, which you would presume would make all the difference, being set behind the large rad.
Its not melted so it stays on, the temp today was over 100c at every stop.

So you would assume the lower fan is making no real difference in temp, but a huge difference in the " its keeping me sane factor".
Man I hated the sound of the OEM fan scraping the guard! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
odonata said:
RECON8541,

they work like the factory ones, I have not notice the running temperature to be lower if that's what you are asking, but I can tell you that I no longer worry about them melting... and that is worth something.

BTW, another little thing I noticed is the Muzzy fans sound differernt, a bit more metallic ring to the way they spin I guess?

Mmmm metallic ring, yes they do sound nice ... for a fan ... ok I'm outa here :later:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts