MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let me start off by saying I tried the search function (a few times over) and had no luck. Please forgive the newbie question.

With that said, I just swapped out my 910R's stock mirrors with the CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors, mounted to Motovation's MV specific heavy bar-end weights for mirrors. Overall, a very easy and significant upgrade which should make weekend rides more pleasurable.

The only thing I ran into is that with the bar ends installed, the mirror mount on the right side causes friction with the plastic throttle grip housing, which keeps it from springing to neutral.

I read in a different post that the bar-end simply needs to be pulled out until it no longer makes contact, but I'm not able to tighten it (using the supplied bolt) without it coming back into contact.

Other posts have mentioned moving the throttle control in towards the center, but I've had no luck trying to move it after loosening the throttle control housing bolts.

So....I'm clearly missing something here. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What I did was fab up a nylon ring that fit within the tube and against the bar, but stuck out just past the tube end. Then tightened the bar end against it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Pull the bar end off completely and reinstall it, making sure that you do not push it all the way in.
The threaded clamp part inside the bar actually pulls the weight in as you tighten it up and you need to allow for this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Reckler, shouldn't this have just worked without modifications? Seems unusual that you would have to go through the trouble of fabbing up an additional part.

@ revhead1957, what you're describing jives with my problem. Once I put the bar-end back in (not all the way) and begin to tighten, the bolt pushes the bar-end in until it's tight, and up against the throttle.

I assume by the replies so far that there is no easy way to just move the throttle controls inwards (away from the bar-end)?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think I understand your issue. The bar end should sit against the end of the bar just shy of the mirror bracket contacting which allows the nut to expand the rubber without pulling the bar end in any further.

Since yours is contacting the end of the throttle it doesn't matter where you start from, it's going to pull it in till it hits something firm. There is a pin that keeps the controls in place, so loosening and pushing will do nothing, I think you'd have to pull the controls off, remove or grind down the pin and re-install where you want it.

Personally, I think it's easier and less permanent to just find out the spacer you need and find or make one up. Universal fittings aren't always perfect fit. You'll forget about the extra hassle once it's working and looking great :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, these bar ends are made specifically to work with MV's. The bar-ends themselves don't make contact with the throttle, but it seems the cut-out for the mirror clamp is just a hair too small for the CRG Arrows. Ideally, the cut-out would be just a tiny bit wider to accommodate the mirror clamps without pushing them into the throttle.

I'll contact Motovation to see if there's any easy solution. I know they've sold a lot of these kits for this exact setup.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
I had the stock bar end rubbing the throttle grip when Gina was brand new. Same thing happened with CRG lane splitter mirrors and Motovation bar ends.
Hold pressure outward on the bar end while tightening the bolt. You only need a very tiny bit of clearance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I wrong in assuming that the threaded receiver inside the bar is fixed? This bar-end design does not use an expanding wedge inside of the bar to secure into place. Instead, it is a 1 for 1 swap with the stock bar-ends, using a screw to engage with the receiver inside the bar and tighten against the bar.

As such, i don't see how holding pressure on the bar outward could allow it to tighten correctly. My outward pressure would certainly be defeated by the screw and receiver pulling the bar-end towards the bar. I see how a washer or spacer could alleviate this, but just bummed having to resort to such a modification.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Mine is an expanding rubber lock. I had to swap them over from the stock to the Motovation bar ends.

See the shot from the parts catalog.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
All the controls on my 2012 model 1090R were pinned to the bars, making positional adjustments impossible as they were, this also included the centre top handlebar clamp.
The metal ones use a split or spiral dowel whilst the plastic ones have a brass pin located in them, knurled at one end. Not sure if they pressed these pins into the housing or if it was actually moulded into them.
I have upgraded my bars to Renthal Fatboy bars after much research, to get a slightly higher and much wider bar and I have managed to do this quite successfully.
I fitted the Oberon Performance Oval Bar end mirrors which are exceptional in both quality and viewing clarity.
To move any of the controls or reposition the bars radially means all the pins concerned will need to be removed.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Reckler; said:
There is a pin that keeps the controls in place, so loosening and pushing will do nothing, I think you'd have to pull the controls off, remove or grind down the pin and re-install where you want. :)
You're right about the locating pins keeping things in place, DO NOT grind the pin away on the throttle housing. You can drill a new hole in the handle bar and relocate the throttle housing though.
I've removed these pins from switch housings without issues though, there's an easy fix to keep them from rotating after removing the pins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're right about the locating pins keeping things in place, DO NOT grind the pin away on the throttle housing. You can drill a new hole in the handle bar and relocate the throttle housing though.
I've removed these pins from switch housings without issues though, there's an easy fix to keep them from rotating after removing the pins.
Donsy,
Why NOT Grind, if you take care so pin does not overheat you shouldn't have any issues. I managed to pull them after a bit of a struggle, but I did try grinding with the Dremel but too much time waiting for cooling.

What was your easy fix please for anti movement fixing.
My clutch and brake fixings have still a tight clamp on the Renthals.
The plastic housings were not as tight so were clamped down on some high strength double sided tape which has locked down really well.
Didn't want to start drilling for pins yet as the final positioning of both the bars and controls is still work in progress.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
Pull the bar end off completely and reinstall it, making sure that you do not push it all the way in.
The threaded clamp part inside the bar actually pulls the weight in as you tighten it up and you need to allow for this.
+100

:naughty:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Donsy,
Why NOT Grind, if you take care so pin does not overheat you shouldn't have any issues. I managed to pull them after a bit of a struggle, but I did try grinding with the Dremel but too much time waiting for cooling.

What was your easy fix please for anti movement fixing.
My clutch and brake fixings have still a tight clamp on the Renthals.
The plastic housings were not as tight so were clamped down on some high strength double sided tape which has locked down really well.
Didn't want to start drilling for pins yet as the final positioning of both the bars and controls is still work in progress.
Because you need a really secure anchor point or you will twist/rotate the throttle around on the bar, I'm talking throttle housing only.

On the other switch assembly's, to prevent them from rotating if needed, I just put some decent fibre or duct tape around the bars, then tighten them up. Keep in mind that I don't have mirrors which can rotate the whole lot.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
pins?

the only bikes I've ever seen with pins are my Aprilia RSVR and my 2 MVs (an Italian disease?)

the throttle and M/C pins are gone

that way you rarely break levers or throttles

I safety wire the screws at the tension I want

:naughty::naughty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts