1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
:stickpokeWe need a SQUID emoticon.....:stickpoke

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Please excuse my silly question, but what is the meaning of "SQUID"? I have seen it being thrown around on here from time to time and apart from the sea creature, i'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

·
Registered
134 Posts
To me it always meant riding without protective gear, but they are wearing it in that video so I can only assume it includes reckless/dangerous riding in the defination in the US?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Seams to me that this will be a mind blowing movie. Thanks! Another movie less on the list to watch.

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Please excuse my silly question, but what is the meaning of "SQUID"? I have seen it being thrown around on here from time to time and apart from the sea creature, i'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

What is a Squid? Someone who assumes more risk when riding than the person calling the name thinks is reasonable.—saddlebag at aol.com squid (skwid) n. 1. a motorcyclist who exaggerates his riding ability by attempting dangerous tricks. 2. a motorcyclist who wears grossly inadequate safety gear, typically shorts, T-shirt, and flip-flops. [Naval term for young sailor; typically one on leave with money to spend on a motorcycle. Believed to be an acronym for Stupid, Quick, and Inevitably Dead. Or Super QUick, Inadequately Dressed. Which is why I don't mkut much faith in acronyms as sources of words.] Yes, “squid” is a pejorative term, whether in its original usage for referring to members of the Navy by other members of the armed forces, or in its current usage of referring to those riders of sportbikes of limited talent and overarching recklessness. Should you be concerned that he’ll bust you in the chops? No. He’s wearing sandals, shorts, a T-shirt and baseball cap on backwards: if he tries to punch you, grab the hem of his shirt and pull it over his head. While he’s blinded, stomp on his unprotected feet with your own engineer boot-clad real-motorcyclist feet. Now that he’s hopping around on one foot with his shirt over his head, knock him over, pants him, take his bike for a spin and dump it in a ditch. You’re saving him the trouble of running it into the ditch himself, and a lot of road-rash besides, and you get a ride on a nice bike out of it for your trouble! Source: Timberwoof's Motorcycle FAQ
http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
For the record...I am a "fairly responsible rider and a bit of a wise ass" according to the survey!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
What is a Squid? Someone who assumes more risk when riding than the person calling the name thinks is reasonable.—saddlebag at aol.com squid (skwid) n. 1. a motorcyclist who exaggerates his riding ability by attempting dangerous tricks. 2. a motorcyclist who wears grossly inadequate safety gear, typically shorts, T-shirt, and flip-flops. [Naval term for young sailor; typically one on leave with money to spend on a motorcycle. Believed to be an acronym for Stupid, Quick, and Inevitably Dead. Or Super QUick, Inadequately Dressed. Which is why I don't mkut much faith in acronyms as sources of words.] Yes, “squid” is a pejorative term, whether in its original usage for referring to members of the Navy by other members of the armed forces, or in its current usage of referring to those riders of sportbikes of limited talent and overarching recklessness. Should you be concerned that he’ll bust you in the chops? No. He’s wearing sandals, shorts, a T-shirt and baseball cap on backwards: if he tries to punch you, grab the hem of his shirt and pull it over his head. While he’s blinded, stomp on his unprotected feet with your own engineer boot-clad real-motorcyclist feet. Now that he’s hopping around on one foot with his shirt over his head, knock him over, pants him, take his bike for a spin and dump it in a ditch. You’re saving him the trouble of running it into the ditch himself, and a lot of road-rash besides, and you get a ride on a nice bike out of it for your trouble! Source: Timberwoof's Motorcycle FAQ
http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm
Thanks for the clarification S.S.
I am much the wiser now, and can also admit that I have more than likely fallen in to the "Squid" category in my younger biking days, and cant guarantee that doing a lazy coastal beach run in my home town in jeans, runners and a t-shirt (helmet of course) doesnt happen on occasions.... But the crazy wheelies etc dont happen any more.

Thanks again....I'm keen to use my new found word as soon as possible:laughing:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i think that this may be the only documented footage of a stand up on a 312!

the 'busa is the official 'big boy' bike. :laughing:

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
I don't have sound on my computer at work.... was there a "Master P" or "Rough Ryderz" song playing?

I think that ti needs more Mv and less "busa's" :stickpoke

Good job editing though. I really don't have any problems with someone burning tires and riding wheelies and/or wrecks.... it makes for good entertainment! Who doesn't like carnage? As long as it isn't my bike or me.... I say go for it!

·
Living the Dream
2,762 Posts
you guys are pretty damn funny!! i always enjoy laying back and reading the posts for something like this.

For the record, i can' stand to see people in shorts, let alone flip flops, and to make matters worse, if they are riding two up, both him and her have matching flips to match the inevitable matching road rash!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:stickpokeWe need a SQUID emoticon.....:stickpoke
What is a Squid? Someone who assumes more risk when riding than the person calling the name thinks is reasonable.—saddlebag at aol.com squid (skwid) n. 1. a motorcyclist who exaggerates his riding ability by attempting dangerous tricks.

WOW!!! They even have a definition for it... INSANE!!!:stickpoke

Usually "they" never tell the squid to his face.....:stickpoke

For the record...I am a "fairly responsible rider and a bit of a wise ass" according to the survey!
I was in it for the FUN... I've done WORSE.... Believe me you don't want to KNOW!!!! LOL!!!!

I try to stay on the racetrack.... Its what I mostly do now!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't have sound on my computer at work.... was there a "Master P" or "Rough Ryderz" song playing?

I think that ti needs more Mv and less "busa's" :stickpoke

Good job editing though. I really don't have any problems with someone burning tires and riding wheelies and/or wrecks.... it makes for good entertainment! Who doesn't like carnage? As long as it isn't my bike or me.... I say go for it!

No Master p music for me.... Its by an artist named Rodney Kieth called Bring it don't sing it... Carnage is good..... as long as i don't hurt too bad.

Wait a minute.... I did do a few videos for DMX way back when & I do have an official RR vest in my Closet.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts