MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I watched this yesterday. I really can't stand Ari Henning. How that guy got the job he has baffles me. Either way they trashed the F4 yet again. Clearly the F4 has its warts but the way they trash it is uncalled for. There seems to be some personal bias towards MV from Ari Henning and that other goober from Motorcyclist. The tester Bradley Adams from Sport Rider even got in on the F4 bashing when just last year he gave the F4 a pretty positive Review.

2012 F4RR review for comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWBs27CCOg&list=PL45DFF3B80447C44E

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
I watched it as well also and my mouth just dropped. I mean before I got my MV last year I have always had Japanese bikes and I knew it would ride different but to say the bike sucks as much as they say and have it come in dead last is just a joke. Don't get me wrong the BMW HP4 is awesome machine with the latest technology but thats about it.. Im not a fan of the looks of it and how its put together but I wouldn't trash it as much as they trashed the MV..

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Great video. A shame the F4 ended up last. Again. :/

As for the trashing. I don't really think they are trashing the bike. Most of the stuff they mentioned are real flaws. The point of the "head to head" videos is to compare the bikes to the competition. In comparison to some of the other bikes the F4 has some pretty major issues that have been brought up time and time again over the years and never addressed by MV.

At the same time though these tests don't leave a lot of room for the human element. If you take all of the qualities besides just performance and street ride into factor it's pretty easy to see why so many of us have old and new F4's in our garages. For me and my older F4 some of the flaws that it has are actually part of it's charm. Yes it's heavy, No it's not terribly fast but it's one of the sexiest motorcycles ever made and a lot of fun.

Why do we ride anyway? I know I generally ride for pleasure. The MV despite it's flaws is a simply wonderful machine to ride.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They didn't 'trash' it badly. They just didn't like the clutch action and the ride by wire throttle. That's not trashing. Trashing is if they said ZOMG SUCKS! Just because we are MV fanatics and think they look great does not in reality make them better than the rest does it?

And rchase pretty much said what I wanted to say so props!

All that aside I am most impressed to see that the Aprilia with that much of a horsepower deficit set the fastest time. Also did anyone else notice but the Panigale really is nowhere near the output it's supposed to have?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Motortrend? A bastion of credibility. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motortrend? A bastion of credibility. :rolleyes:
They did provide numbers of all their data. Now it is up to the viewer to draw their own conclusions. The Aprilia in my mind should have won again hands down :smoking:but they went with the HP4 which is fine too because with a near 15 hp deficit at the end of the day the Ape set the fastest lap time. I do agree however that on the street the BMW is a better bike, which is probably why they gave it the nod. The really tall gearing makes the Ape a bit of a handful though after the 2013 map update, launching the bike from standstill is MUCH easier.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh, and Ari is an idiot. When reviewing the 2011 he said it was in need of an update and that it hadn't been redesigned in years.

He's clueless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
review

Not sure, but by looking at the way they tried to launch F4 , I think they had the TC set to high or on and not turned off?Thats what they do when its turned up, fueling can be corrected.
Oh, and Ari is an idiot. When reviewing the 2011 he said it was in need of an update and that it hadn't been redesigned in years.

He's clueless.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Ha ha :laughing:

So funny reading some of the responses, on so many of the management courses I have attended over the years we keep getting told..''Feedback is the breakfast of champions''

Hopefully MV will take this ''feedback'' graciously and do something about it. Take the positives and improve on the negatives :)

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Ha ha :laughing:

So funny reading some of the responses, on so many of the management courses I have attended over the years we keep getting told..''Feedback is the breakfast of champions''

Hopefully MV will take this ''feedback'' graciously and do something about it. Take the positives and improve on the negatives :)
Do you think they are listening? So many of the problems that the current F4 suffers from it's had year after year. Don't get me wrong I think some of the issues are kind of charming in strange way and I like the way that the Italians "do it their way" and don't rely on design by committee. The end product is usually quite beautiful because of that and not the watered down designs that many other manufacturers produce. But at the same time they could really benefit from listening just a bit more to customer/press feedback. :)

Was anybody else shocked by the HUGE difference in HP they reported in this test and the 201hp that MV claims?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I think they should give me and Rob (MVista) the SBK comparo job....MV would win every time.
I don't doubt the outcome of that for one minute :laughing:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Do you think they are listening? So many of the problems that the current F4 suffers from it's had year after year. Don't get me wrong I think some of the issues are kind of charming in strange way and I like the way that the Italians "do it their way" and don't rely on design by committee. The end product is usually quite beautiful because of that and not the watered down designs that many other manufacturers produce. But at the same time they could really benefit from listening just a bit more to customer/press feedback. :)

Was anybody else shocked by the HUGE difference in HP they reported in this test and the 201hp that MV claims?
I think they do listen yes: I think they are also always looking for different ways to do stuff, maybe to gain an advantage?: like the F3 contra rotating engine: The Eldor electronics etc.

But:

Imagine if they had just 'stolen' (from the RSV4) or gone with Magneti Marelli for the F4 FBW and TC, the Mototrend test may well have had the F4 a lot higher up the results

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Yeah if they just had Rob, the MV would come 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Wouldn't it be a case of there would be no worthy competition to include :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
So the BMW HP4 is the best sportsbike in the world right now.

Congratulations to BMW.

But answer me this.
If offered a ride on the HP4 or a 2005 F4 1000 Tamburini which would you choose?

And as time goes by and the HP4 and its performance is a distant memory in 7, 14, 21 years time as its performance is eclipsed by newer evolutions from other manufacturers the HP4 will remain stagnant in history as a leader of the performance pack in 2013.
It's not a classic. It is a flash in the pan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts