·
0 Posts
wow thats intersesting
not sure how i feel about it, i tend o agree with you though
thankks for the post

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too have mixed feelings about this case. What is really bothering me is did the trooper really think he was going to catch a sportbike while driving a sport utility vehicle in a high speed chase. :confused:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
1st of all, this is an horrible event, I feel terrible for the trooper's family and friends.

imho, bad decisions on all 3 parties mentioned in the article...

the rider, for speeding and evading on public roads.

the trooper for driving over his own limit and putting other motorist and himself at risk during the pursuit.

the Onondaga County Court jury to find the rider guilty of aggravated criminally negligent homicide.

hopefully we can all learn something from this unfortunate event.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ok, time for another crusty acruhl opinion on the matter.

One's own actions need to be accounted for in both cases here.

The cop died in the line of duty, as many do, and sometimes in not the most glamorous of ways. This is what cops do, and this is the sword they live by. This is highly unfortunate, the same as if a cop is in a faultless traffic accident and dies.

To say that the motorcyclist is guilty of homocide is a bit of a stretch, but there is definitely some responsibility to be pinned on him for this. I think his prior convictions mean this time he needs to have a serious punishment laid out, including a long stay with a large convict in a small cell. Screw that guy, he is a jerk of the highest magnitude. Grand larceny? Come on. Strike three. Any escalation in the punishment they lay out to others who flagrantly run from the cops is fine with me, although murder is too much.

The cop may be guilty of not obeying his rules, who knows. But these things happen. He was doing his job. The motorcyclist is guilty as hell, but not homocide. If it was a different cop with better driving skills, this may not even be an argument.

If I'm on the freeway doing 85 or something sometime (hey, it happens), and a cop is behind me but I don't hear it (hey, it has happened) and he gets his panties in a bunch and makes some stupid move to get my attention and then dies... This seems dangerously close to calling me a murderer. I know that's a stretch, but with a lunatic prosecutor, is it really?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If thats a crusty acruhl opinon Andy it might as well be a crusty John one too. I totally agree with you, the biker is an arsehole but not a murderer :eek:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My condolences to the Officer's family, far too young for that to happen in any situation. The motor cyclists is definitely quilty and should get the stiffest felony penalty and longest jailtime for the crime he commited. I guess the question is which crime?

To take acruhl's post a bit further and if that is possible, is this? You are rolling down the interstate with the family let's say 73 in a 65, a leo guns you fom the median, puts down the radar gun and pulls onto the interstate in the path of an 18 wheeler. Are you guilty of murder or simply a minor speeding ticket? Without your actions, which did break the law, there would have never have been a reason for the officer to enter traffic. My point is where will the courts stop? I know that sounds like a stretch and is far from fleeing from police, but where is the line?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A rediculous perversion of common sense. If I lived in NY I would be writing to my legislators to complain about the precedent this judgement sets.

The motorcyclist was stupid and deserves punishment for failing to stop, but as for any responsibility for the police driver's death, no way. Don't they teach police officers judgement? Shouldn't he, as a highly trained driver, be aware of both his limits and that of his vehicle?

The motorcyclist certainly started the chain of events that led to his death, but by no means caused it to be a certainty. This is a major miscarriage of justice in my opinion and one that everybody who values their freedoms should be concerned about.

Si

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
there are 2 sides to this issue....... or more

but......
someone has got to MAKE A POINT
there has to be SOME PENALTY FOR RIDING LIKE THAT
of course, this is extreme.... but, maybe...... just maybe it'll make the next crotcheteer think twice about endangering himself/herself and others for a moment of "thrill."

yes....
the LEO was a jackass for disobeying all common sense by chasing this dick

i can surely agree with that

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
someone has got to MAKE A POINT
there has to be SOME PENALTY FOR RIDING LIKE THAT
Respectfully: There already is surely? Aren't there penalties, fines and imprisonment for extreme reckless riding, disobeying police direction to stop, fleeing, etc? The one thing he's not guilty of is causing the death of the officer. Or what's next, a cop pulls you over for a broken tail light and gets run over as he's striding up to your window, and you're made an example of for causing his death by disregarding your vehicles minor unroadworthiness?

Si

·
Registered
39 Posts
So if the motorcyclist had died would the trooper have been guilty of homicide?
No I thought not.
We are each responsible for our own actions (and the motorcyclist was a dick) and as far as I can see if the trooper had the number of the bike what was he trying to gain by catching him. Wouldn't it have been safer to go to his house and arrest him there?
In the UK pursuits are stopped if there is an increased danger of harm to the general public if they continue and it is unlikely that an officer would put himself in harms way just to be able to issue a ticket in person.

It is sad but not homicide.

Bob....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looks like we have established:

The bikie is a 'dick' and an idiot and deserves a severe sentence!

The trooper was a poor judge of his own abilities, but didn't deserve to die!

I'm sorry for the family of the trooper and sad for the US state that may have made this a precedent for other cases to follow AND where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I feel sorry for the officers family. Good thing neither rider or officer ran over some
innocent person in their way. To me it obvious the local police are out vengence.
I try & stay off the radar on the street-its not worth it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
This sets a dangerous precedent.

BTW, anyone notice that the LEO was only 25? Perhaps both of these individuals were suffering from the indiscretion of youth.

I fail to see how the motorcyclist actions were directly responsible for the pursuit vehicle’s crash. And the officer was driving an SUV?!!! I’m sorry for the harsh words, but that’s pretty bone-headed. Perhaps the officer was asleep that day at the academy when they talked about vehicle dynamics? The officer made a big mistake in thinking his vehicle could sustain a chase with that sportbike. And that cost him his life.

The biker was wrong. But my standards for him are pretty low.

For the officer, on the other hand, I’m setting the bar a LOT higher. And his judgment was way off the mark.

Alex

1 - 15 of 15 Posts