MV Agusta Forum banner

Motorcycle brake squealing

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  airjawed 
#1 ·
After washing my motorcycle, my brakes started to squeal.
The motorcycle is relatively new, and only has 3000km on it.

Is there any way to get rid of this squealing?
Perhaps an easy way would be better since I am still a new rider.

#3 ·
What he said.....

Or take the pads out and sand the surface and clean the rotors....

Reactions: nigelrb
#4 ·
Is this the only way it could be fixed?
I will try a few hard braking and see if it fixes the squealing.

#5 ·
Squealing brakes are the result of the pads vibrating as brakes are applied. Usually caused by contamination on the pad or rotor surfaces.

Not using the brakes hard enough can result in glazing on the pad surface or rotors which causes vibrations in the pads during use.

How long have you had the bike, and how many miles are on it? when did the brake squeal begin? After many miles? Shortly after getting the bike? After riding in wet conditions?

Some brake systems can be problematic, usually those with large friction surfaces and weak calipers. Those systems frequently have anti-chatter shims between the piston and pad. Most car brake pads now come with a paste like coating to be applied to the back of the pads during installation. This material acts as a cushion to absorb the vibrations and stop squealing.

You can get this coating at any auto parts store and treat your brake pads if they continue to squeal after cleaning. Permatex Disc-Quiet is one such product.

#6 ·
Some pads are prone to squeal. What kind of cleaner did you use? Do not clean the brake rotors. There are lots of areas on the bike that should not be cleaned. Electronics and areas that have grease in particular should not be cleaned.... such as bearings and clutch cable.

#7 ·
Do not clean the brake rotors.
That is absolutely WRONG advice..... use a scotch brite pad and brake cleaner to clean the rotors.

One of the first steps in prepping a newly uncrated motorcycle is to clean the brake rotors...they come with a protective oil that will contaminate the pads and cause squealing if not cleaned off. That is an instruction found in every OEM assembly and pre-delivery guide I have ever seen.

Reactions: nigelrb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.