MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Flollowing this with interest...., do you have a link to where you bought the cables?.
Also looking forward to some photos if the 'install'.., and the 'results'

Photos please!
Brian.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a bunch of pictures I took when I installed mine on the 1090RR. I'll add them during my break if possible.

The site is http://www.motolectric.com/contact_us.html

You will need to shoot Michael an email since they do not have a section for MV Agusta yet. They have great customer service and I will actually be sending some of the pictures I took to them to potential add to the install section.

Edit: I should add that I'm holding off on posting results due to having a dead battery by the time I finished the install. I only charged the battery for about 45 minutes (if that) before I took the bike out and tried a hot start. I still had trouble starting the bike once warmed up but I feel like the battery not being fully charged could have contributed to that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here are a few pictures as promised. I apology for the picture quality.

Here is what came with the cable kit

Comparison of OEM (right) and Motolectric cables

Motolectric cables routed to the starter and ground

Battery to solenoid and starter to solenoid

How the OEM lines were routed

I have some more pictures showing the exact mounting points that I will show when I have time to type the step by step install.

I recommend also having a bottle of this to ensure a smooth install

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
485 Posts
Figured I'll add the explanation for why people are putting these cables on for those of you who are wondering. This is the detailed explanation Jones525 provided:

"I have the same year, same color Brutale as you do. The solution was to have three cables upgraded.
Battery to solenoid
Solenoid to starter
Negative to chassis ground.

Common wisdom is that a new battery is the cure, and in most cases will be... For awhile.
The true issue is that with the factory battery cables there is too much resistance and anything but a battery that is 100% will cause this condition.
Why?
Because the solenoid is actuated by a signal from the ECU rather than a pure mechanical connection from the handlebar starter button exclusively. Its a poor design IMHO.
When the battery is less than 100% and you hit the starter button the ECU sends a signal to the low current side of the solenoid energizing the coil and closing the high current gap between the positive terminal and the starter motor.
The huge draw in current, coupled with the resistance in the factory cables, causes the voltage to dip and the ECU "browns out". When this happens, the signal form the ECU to the solenoid is interrupted as the ECU resets (Which is why you see the dash cycle) then the process can begin again until you've had enough and walk away frustrated or replace the battery thinking that the issue has been resolved.
I was frustrated, having spent 20K on a motorcycle and having it exhibit this condition within days of taking delivery...
I found these guys http://www.motolectric.com/

I purchased a kit for my Streetfighter S and had them custom manufacture a kit for the Brutale.

In short. Problem solved. For good.

No I am not affiliated with them. Just extremely happy that my issue was resolved.
Hopefully you'll find this info helpful.
"

May also want to include something in the title of the thread about hot start/difficult starting to assist with members that may search this issue.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice post.

I've never had that Bourbon. How is it?
As of right now it is probably my favorite Bourbon. I'm also trying a bottle of Four Roses single barrel bourbon. I find the Four Roses is a little bit sweeter.

Back on topic, here are the steps to installing the Motolectric cables.

Tools needed:
12mm socket
10mm socket
8mm socket
8mm wrench
Bourbon (optional)
Tools to remove the tank. I'm not going to go through all of those steps because they can be seen in the service manual on Donsy's website.

Step 1: Remove the rider's seat, passenger's seat, ignition cover, tank and side covers. As mentioned above, these instructions can be found in the MV Agusta Manuals (http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/manuals.php)

Step 2: Disconnect the battery cables.

Step 3: Unbolt the two cables connected to the solenoid with the 8mm socket (Cable from the starter is still connected in the picture)

Step 4: Unbolt the cable to the ground with the 12mm socket if my memory serves me right (Bolt right in the middle of the picture)

Step 5: Remove the cable connected to the starter. You will have to use the 8mm wrench for this one as the socket won't fit down in there. Be careful not to let the nut fall down in the motor bay like I did or you will be fishing it out with a magnet/tweezers. (The cable with the red heat shrink on it)

Step 6: If the rubber boots are not on the ends of the cables already you will need to put one on the end that connects to the starter and on the ends that connect to the starter.

Step 7: Bolt on the new cables and apply the dielectric grease to the terminals. The only down side to the more robust cables is they are a little difficult to manipulate in some of the tight spots. Here is how some of my cables were routed.

Cable from the ground to the battery

And that is about it. If you guys have any questions feel free to hit me up. Steve might be able to add anything that I missed after he has done his install.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Motoelectric is a Ducati site sponsor and has a stellar reputation for quality product, design and customer service. Nice to see him developing mindshare over here as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smoker,i doubt it ! your description and photo's are spot on,and i haven't worked out yet how to upload photo's.Michael produces a professional kit.Cheers Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
H Guy's,i went ahead and fitted the upgraded starter cable kit,quite straight forward,thanks Smoker for the tip about the starter motor terminal locknut being hidden under the cable,the lube makes fitting the boots all the easier,yes the cables are bulkier, but with a little manipulating it fits in quite nicely,they certainly look substantial.Cheer Steve

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks to be a high quality kit. I recently upgraded the three wires as well to 4 gauge. Immediately noticed stronger and shorter cranking times when starting the bike. Hot starts much more easier, as before the change it would crank over slowly and then just stop cranking. Headlight does not dim at idle anymore, even when the fans come on. I'd say if upgrading your electrical system, I would change these cables before getting a new/upgrade lithium battery. I was going to get a new battery, but after the cable upgrade, I don't think I need to anymore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fitted the kit on my 990 this weekend. One problem though, the terminal end on the engine ground. Hole wasn't big enough to accommodate the M8 bolt so had to enlarge with a stepper bit (5/16"). Also, the terminals on my Shorai are opposite normal lead acid. Positive lead was a bit tricky but manipulated well enough. Just about had a meltdown when I tried to start it the first time. Pushed the starter button and nothing! Turned it off then on again and she kicked to life. Thought it might have something to do with the PCV. Either way nice piece of kit.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just a little hint when doing this pull out the clear plug on the soleniod so you can work on the cables safely,in otherwords you don't fry everything,push it back in when you have finished checking everything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guy's,with the new cables she fires straight up from hot,and i'm running the original Koyo battery,Feb 2012 till now,don't do many short rides.Cheers Steve

1 - 20 of 46 Posts