MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd agree with most of this but would question Iannone and Redding. Scott is in his rookie year and on an open rules bike so doing pretty well considering. As for Andrea, I don't believe he has the consistency. One week he can be fighting for a podium spot and then the next he's nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd agree with most of this but would question Iannone and Redding. Scott is in his rookie year and on an open rules bike so doing pretty well considering. As for Andrea, I don't believe he has the consistency. One week he can be fighting for a podium spot and then the next he's nowhere.
Think again, Scott is not in his rookie year, and not a open rules bike either. Andrea is on a very old beast.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Scott is in his rookie MotoGP season and is on a customer Honda RC1000V running open software just like Hayden. Not sure what your looking at Donsy.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hahahaha, sorry, my bad, I was referring to Bradley Smith, fucked that one up badly (Bradley).

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think Bradley could be good in World SBK. But I agree. Someone else should get his MotoGP ride. Would like to see another Brit get the ride. Perhaps one of the Lowes twins.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
What a sad state of affairs MotoGP is in? There are only four competitive seats in the series, three of those seats have been occupied by the same racers for the last 7 years, yes Rossi did have a two year break from the sharp end when he went to Ducati but he was on the bike for seven years prior to that and welcomed back with open arms, and assuming Jorge signs then there'll be no change for another two. The hopes for anyone on a satellite MotoGP bike or worse "that other grade?" progressing any further are nothing more than a pipe dream especially now since Honda had the rules changed so they could leapfrog riders straight onto the factory bike?

In two years time the majority of people on that list won't be in motogp, no matter how young or good they are, the factory seats are taken and when they're ready for new blood they'll pick riders straight from Moto2 and Moto3? You could say if your winning in the lower classes your better off staying there keeping yourself in the limelight until the Factory teams are ready for you rather than moving up and languishing around in 12th to be forgotten about after a couple of years?

Do you think Pol's going to be on the Tech 3 bike for another two years, by which time don't you think Yamaha will have their eyes on some new rising star?

·
Registered
305 Posts
That sums it up

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rate Bradl a bit higher than Bautista, being less experienced and making less mistakes. I think it's got to be hard for any rider and team, when you only have one rider to give or take feedback.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I like bradl. Imagine him on danis bike? Crutchlow made a big mistake should have stayed one more year at tech 3. Your right his done.

Its a real shame huh dons. Imagine the factory teams had two fully backed teams each yamaha suzuki ducati and honda. Now that would be real interesting.

How else can they level up the playing field with honda? Imagine the top ten riders on the same equipment. Now that would be racing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Crutchlow made a big mistake should have stayed one more year at tech 3. Your right his done.
I don't think he had much choice? I believe Yamaha had instructed Herve to sign Pol, Yamaha had given him a letter of intent back at the beginning of the 2013 season. Herve could have kept Cal but he would have had to cut Bradleys contract short, an option I think he put to Cal but he didn't want to do that to him, whether he would have had the Ducati contract not been on the table who knows?

Was the Pol situation brought about because of Cals flirting with Ducati the previous season, his frank criticisms to the press when things aren't going his way don't help him either? That could have put Yamaha's nose out of joint and made them sign Pol? Something I doubt we'll ever know?

Signing to Ducati was Cals best move open to him, yes its not as competitive as the Tech 3 bike but as good as it is its not going to win either but there was/is an outside chance that Ducati will sort their bike out? And if it doesn't come good then he can at least look back and say he was a factory rider in the premier class of motor racing, something many others on that grid won't achieve, couple that with the healthy bank balance he'll get out of it?

The one thing he does need to do though is shut his big mouth, you don't bite the hand that feeds you, we all know its a pig of a bike, tell that to your team, not the press. Especially when your team mate is doing so much better than you, Dovi has had an extra year on that bike but Cal won't get that opportunity if he doesn't button it. Sods law will be that they will terminate his contract and build an all new competitive bike for next year and if that happens he'll only have himself to blame. It just shows what a consummate professional Rossi is, during his awful period at Ducati he never slagged off the bike or the team, not until he'd gone back to Yamaha that the details started to come out about the team structure and problems at Ducati, something that Casey had said before but no one believed him?

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
And Nicky Hayden stayed the quintessential corporate spokesman regardless of the problems he faced, and frequently finished higher than Rossi.....so they booted him out anyway.

I think he will will follow Colin back home soon.....and there will be no American riders left on the grid.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Hello all long time no see . I have been an avid Road Racing fan for nearly 35 years ( im 49 riding since 9 years of age)And IMHO this has been one of the best I have had ever seen . EURO FANS : In comparison to Europe and Asia the United States is a Third World Country when it comes to Motorcycle enthusiasts . The USA is 20 years behind. The UK, Germany ,Italy ect have MORE riders , Spend 2 to 3 times as much on there bikes,accesories and upgrades.Also Europeans average roughly 4 TIMES the miles ridden on there bikes . LASTLY:( Until recently)For the past 40/46 years In the USA the Sport of motorcycle racing(WSBK-MotoGP ect)was a popular as PING PONG. YET.... for YEARS the USA dominated Roadracing in WSBK and MotoGP.
HOW??? Kenny Roberts/Freddie Spencer started out racing big heavy Flat track Motorcycles sliding/flat tracking these behemoths at 100/130MPH...THEN ... raced Big,heavy, crude Japanese inline 4 Superbikes that rode on hard thin tires which had to be muscled around the track sliding /wobbling on the edge of crashing. It created a style/lines in MotoGP that was said Could NEVER be used again because of new tech/electronics. Truth is riders ...Skipped... this poorly paid and hard training/career and went Strait to roadracing . Flat tracking entrants/events in the USA slowly died off and so did the fast Americans . What most do not know is Roberts /Spencer raced/competed against Rainey/Lawson/Schwantz/ Doohan and Gardner. Roberts and Spencer where Considerably faster than all the greats of the Golden Age. Roberts got old and retired, Spencer ended up retiring Very early due to Alcoholism. NOW that the USA and Austrailia flat tracking has all but died , THE SPANISH took up Flat tracking and progress to Moto2, which are much like the old inline 4 Japanese Superbikes . Until the rest of Europe /USA & Austrailia riders take up Flat tracking (paying there dues so to speak) THEN Progess to Moto2 the Spanish will continue to Dominate MotoGP

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
FYI I am a Rossi fan . He is unique as he Combines both New/Old arching Euro style and the sliding squared off lines of Marquez/Roberts Spencer. And his lap times have been INCREADABLY CONSISTANT. lap times never varying more than 2-3 10ths of a second for an entire race.(MCN=UK or Roadracing World=USA) Rossi is actually been riding faster than ever BTW the German race publication ..motorradden???(excuse spelling.Hopped from article in GPOne to german site then used google translate to read)
The publication compared the racing lines of Roberts/Spencer and Marquez and found then to be dam near Identical.(same corners of tracks all 3 have used )

What I don't understand is teams/Manufacturers Signing riders like Scott reading who are just TOO BIG?
When a rider is Lean and in good condition yet is 20-30 pounds heavier than other riders, they are at a great disadvantage. At 200mph-225MPH that extra 20lbs turns into 500/1000 pounds more of innercia when the rider is braking into a corner.
At the level of skill in MotoGP a rider needs EVERY advantage to succeed.

Scott Reading isn't the first Over Sized rider .I can remember Rob Macelnea was 30 pounds over the other riders in the field in the mid/late? 80s . If anyone else is old enough to remember he didn't do well either. A couple of good finishes but nothing consistant .

Why hire a rider so big at highest level in Road racing? Good for testing???? just a guess.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
...and there will be no American riders left on the grid.
Hoping PJ Jacobsen will rise through the ranks and get there in a few years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts