MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I'm guessing that those guys are NOT wearing the same types of armor we can buy. I saw a bit when Rossi was putting on his boots and they were nothing like the boots that i've ever seen offered.. it was more like a cast molded shoe then he slipped a leather boot over it. And when looking at the camera view from the bikes tail section facing the back of the rider.. the armor covering their backs looks much longer and thicker.

So.. i wanna know:

1) Who is the maker of the armor they actually wear?

2) Is it available to the public?

3) Where can i go to consider it?

I'm sure it's expensive but regardless i'd like to know.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
For boots check Frei Daytona ( Helimont is a US importer) They are pricey ($ 1000 USD) but are the best . you can also buy just one if replacement is neccessarry !!! They are iner shell and outher shell and all parts can be ordered separatelly if neccessarry !!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm very familiar with Frey Daytons.. i have the Security Evo boots.
I know about all the top suppliers of gear.. what i DONT know is where to find the stuff those riders ACTUALLY use.
The other racers for local or Isle of Man races are probably using the same stuff we do.. but i'm specifically reffering to MotoGp.. those guys are wearing things i've never seen available... the boots are not in any catalogue.. the outside shell looks the same.. but they are NOT the same at all. The armor is thicker, wider and taller then anything i've seen.. including the high-quality T-Pro flexible soft armor.

Anyone have any inside info here?

·
Registered
351 Posts
helimot store is pretty close to where i live, i actually tried their top of the line daytonas (with inner shoes) very pricey, they even custom made gloves, i just dont like the color combination, but very comfortable

·
Registered
516 Posts
My understanding is a good bit of the "key" safety gear these guys use is custom made based on personal preference (and company established standards) by the rider's gear company...made in a "custom shop" environment. Price isn't really the point, man hours, R&D, and materials are. Biaggi said his upper body stuff could cost tens of thousands, but he really doesn't know. He tells Dainese what he's wants, they take his need and comfort into consideration, then they figure it out, using standards already established by the group...a lot of what I'm talking about is based on boots & back protection, which he said, that T-Pro was the first to start bringing the kinds of back protection and materials used in SBK & MGP to the general public.

Apparently the inner suit stuff is very light and flexible based on which direction you want it to bend towards, using overlapping strips of carbon, kevlar and padding.

With this said, my understanding is that most of the field uses safety bits that are very close to what we can buy (The link below, somewhat backs this up) and the guys like Rossi have access to what ever they want, regardless of cost, and like with a Lance Armstrong bike, there is a team at "headquarters" that are constantly coming up with new, special and insanely expensive bits and pieces. We will see benefit in our suits, back protectors, boots and helmets a "few years down the road". Apparently, unless we're a Rossi or a major stockholder, we simply can't get the very same gear of those we follow and support, regardless of being able to afford it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehXyzeypYg

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Get to know some of the people at the boutique shops. Hint, hint. Much of the stuff - for US racers anyway - is made by companies other than the rider's sponsoring apparel company. The maker just puts the "official" sponsor logos on and makes it look (color, e.g.) like the sponsoring gear.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the companies that sponsor the GP riders do something similar since many of them are set up for mass production of relatively cheap garments not construction of custom, high-level goods.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Get to know some of the people at the boutique shops. Hint, hint. Much of the stuff - for US racers anyway - is made by companies other than the rider's sponsoring apparel company. The maker just puts the "official" sponsor logos on and makes it look (color, e.g.) like the sponsoring gear.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the companies that sponsor the GP riders do something similar since many of them are set up for mass production of relatively cheap garments not construction of custom, high-level goods.
Don't really agree with this at all.
My new suit is pretty dam close to what Casey and Nicky are wearing.

Apart from the GP guys running kangaroo leather and having their suits tailored, the actual construction and design of the new A* Race Replica suit looks very similar...

There's a video on youtube somewhere that takes you through the making of one of Troy Corser's A* suits....and how similar it is to what A* offer off the shelf...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts