MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Really exciting.......a couple of stupid decisions made today!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
What a race, hope Rossi's okay. Marc was just a dumb shit today, he should have come in the moment Danny went down. Lorenzo showed that experience does count for something after all.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Pity Rossi went down, could have been his second win of the season... Well done to Lorenzo no doubt. Great racing this season that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Marc was just a dumb shit today, he should have come in the moment Danny went down. Lorenzo showed that experience does count for something after all.
To an extent it's a math calculation that should be part of team decision making, as far as I'm concerned. If a rider's wet lap on rain tires is, say, 4 seconds per lap faster than a wet lap on slicks, and the amount of time lost by pitting to change bikes is 'X', then someone calculates 4 times the number of laps remaining plus 'X', and the rider is given instruction as to whether to change bikes or not. Of course, I realize that there are levels of 'wet' that could be anywhere from 2-6 seconds a lap differential, but asking the rider to do a calculation in his head while riding is not a coherent team strategy.

Yes, I agree that once Pedrosa went down, the decision should have been clearer, but if a team had a solid calculation-based strategy, then the rider wouldn't have to make a judgement call.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They should have trackside sprinklers come on randomly for every race!
WOW!! Such a great idea and they could put astro turf on the edge of every corner. Everyone would have a chance to win. Love it!!!

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a race, hope Rossi's okay. Marc was just a dumb shit today, he should have come in the moment Danny went down. Lorenzo showed that experience does count for something after all.
He was up and about right after that

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
MM was pretty lucky with that fall. Should have released the bike earlier. If you saw when the bike flipped and caught his helmet twisting him with it, there was potential for neck injury there. Hope Vale is back in shape for next race.

MM did get that bike back up and got around for the change, not bad. You could see him cursing himself after he switched bikes.

What it took to get Cal on the podium :)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Vale looked like he was on the pace ...., shame he went down.
When I initially seen the crash I thought he got clipped by the bike ...,but from another angle I think it missed him.
Could have been much worse.

Exciting race though and bug respect to Jorge.
Strange that since his first defeat in Brno Marc does not look as 'invincible' as he was.
And I think that has made the racing all the more exciting.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
To an extent it's a math calculation that should be part of team decision making, as far as I'm concerned. If a rider's wet lap on rain tires is, say, 4 seconds per lap faster than a wet lap on slicks, and the amount of time lost by pitting to change bikes is 'X', then someone calculates 4 times the number of laps remaining plus 'X', and the rider is given instruction as to whether to change bikes or not. Of course, I realize that there are levels of 'wet' that could be anywhere from 2-6 seconds a lap differential, but asking the rider to do a calculation in his head while riding is not a coherent team strategy.

Yes, I agree that once Pedrosa went down, the decision should have been clearer, but if a team had a solid calculation-based strategy, then the rider wouldn't have to make a judgement call.

I'm not sure you're right on this Kevin. As I understand, there's no communication between the pits and the rider beyond the pit signage. Sure, the math is easy, but only the rider knows EXACTLY how the bike is performing in the wet.

Aragon illustrated the huge mistakes made by Mark and Dani.....both extremely skilled professionals. I think the decision is pretty much in the riders hands.

Am I correct?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Marques explained later that the team strategy was for him to decide when to come in, and he take's full responsibility for the crash. I think this is the second time this team stuffed up their strategy, remember last year at Philip Island ?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
I'm not sure you're right on this Kevin. As I understand, there's no communication between the pits and the rider beyond the pit signage. Sure, the math is easy, but only the rider knows EXACTLY how the bike is performing in the wet.
I realize the pit board is it as far as communications, and riders aren't paid for their math aptitude, and that there are varying levels of wet depending on the track and the amount of rain.

I just think that there should be a commonly understood team strategy that as the Team Race Manager is seeing his rider's lap times drop throughout the race (which is known data on every corner and every lap) due to wet conditions, there is a point at which he has calculations that determine that his rider is better off making the change to wet tires. And this could be communicated on the pit board.

I dunno. Just seems like an area where a little forethought could benefit a rider in a wet trace.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts

The problem with that "strategy" is that it doesn't account for accumulating water...as both Marquez and Pedrosa discovered. It only takes .2 seconds of lost front end traction to dump the bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Has anyone heard the outcome of the Marquez/Miller event in Moto3?

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
I watched the race. Marquez and Miller got together in a turn with Miller on the outside. Minor contact and Miller went down. There was talk of penalties later...but I never heard anything. It looked like a "racing incident" to me. Marquez finished second.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh, one thing I noticed with the Aragon race, and I may be remembering wrong (it's been a bit). In the turn where Rossi went down, it looked to me like Danny went wide on him suddenly in the turn and Vale had to get up and then went off. I wish I could see it again to be sure, it was pretty quick in my head, but figured I'd see if anyone else caught it to verify.

I find it hard to be clear because they played the Misano race immediately before and it's blending a bit. Not that I'd think Pedrosa would do anything like that one purpose, its just what I remember seeing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts