MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Tuesday me and my friends visited the Moto Guzzi museum at Mandello del Lario ..

I’ve never been a great fan of Moto Guzzi models, with the exception of the MGS 01 Corse, but the visit to the museum was a great eye opener, and these guys were the Daddy of their day.. :king:.. Respect is due !!!

Their racing history is phenomenal and the level of engineering and development in aerodynamics was pioneering.. These guys were at the frontier of cutting edge technology and they produced the legendary V8 motorcycle in the 1950’s which only weighed 150kg and capable of 190mph. :jsm::wtf::jsm:

I highly recommend you guys take a trip to the Guzzi museum, but my fears are that it won’t be there for much longer.

The factory is located a stone’s throw from Lake Como, and surrounded by beautiful mountains. The regional food is wonderful and the local people are very welcoming and laid back.

My mate summed it up in one word “fantastico” even though he does sport a beard. :laughing:

Hope you guys enjoy some of these pixs.

Have attached a few links about the V8, and have started work on a purpose built alter in my garage so I can pay homage to the Great V8 once a week. :yo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_7zwGFGwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxI3faucvM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TG7f2imRQo&feature=related

Attachments

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moto Guzzi Museum visit Oct 2009

Few more pixs.

Attachments

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
wow, very cool!

thanks for the pics....

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Very, very nice JDS. I was almost two Years in Italy, several times at the Lago di Como and was never there. What a shame that I missed it. Really impressive. By the way Lago di Como is only a hour away from Cascina Costa and the Museo GLA Agusta.

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Man, just beautiful!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Nice pics John, thanks for sharing. The V8 Guzzi is a hell of a machine, sounds superb:mouthwate:mouthwate

·
Registered
5 Posts
mille grazie !!!!

Thanks so very much for those spectacular photos.

The museum looks fascinating and the surrounding countryside is awe inspiring.

I too have spent a lot of time in Northern Italy but somehow managed to miss a visit here!

It seems a nice week in the region with visits to both the Moto Guzzi museum and a trip to MV Agusta might be just the RIGHT thing to do!!!

Best regards!
:f4:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Admittedly Birmingham can't touch the scenery aroud the MotoGuzzi museum, but I'm betting the Barber museum has that many, if not more significant Moto Guzzis in their collection.

BTW, that was a great post! very interesting.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Great post!!! People either forget or don't realise that Guzzi were a real powerhouse in racing until they pulled out at the end of the '57 season(along with Mondial & Gilera). MV initially planned to follow suit, but the Count had a change of heart because of his love of racing(much to the annoyance of the other marques).
Imagine the difference in MV history if they had left the Grand Prix arena! It doesn't bear thinking about!!!

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Stephen.. .. You are very diplomatic with your description of the way MV behaved after the major Italian motorcycle manufacturers had a gentlemanly agreement to cease racing due to escalating costs..

MV appeared the very next season on the Grand Prix grid with the wording privato” under their logo. They resumed racing under the woeful pretence that these bikes weren’t factory entered machines. This was as you said to the great annoyance of the other manufacturers. Corruption is the mantra under which some of MV’s past racing victories were won.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks Stephen.. .. You are very diplomatic with your description of the way MV behaved after the major Italian motorcycle manufacturers had a gentlemanly agreement to cease racing due to escalating costs..

MV appeared the very next season on the Grand Prix grid with the wording privato” under their logo. They resumed racing under the woeful pretence that these bikes weren’t factory entered machines. This was as you said to the great annoyance of the other manufacturers. Corruption is the mantra under which some of MV’s past racing victories were won.

"Corruption" may be a bit strong! I think the difference was that the other manufacturers were dependent on their bike sales to pay for racing; this at a time when cheap cars were making inroads into bike sales.
Mv, of course, had their aviation business to prop up the bike production and race shop.
While MV had an easier run for several years until the Japanese appeared, I think racing would have been even poorer for their absence- British singles and twins don't have quite the appeal of an Italian multi with open pipes! I'm sure they brought a bit of much needed glamour to the paddock
Here in Northern Ireland, anyone lucky enough to have seen the "fire engine" beauties at the Ulster Grand Prix, still recalls them with great fondness(& Guzzi's, etc).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts