MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience or input concerning the MotoGuzzi Breva 1100? I've been thinking that an Italian cruiser would make a welcome addition to my garage, although the BOSS may not like the idea. :stickpoke

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hired a Breva for a week in July in Italy - cool bike, good for luggage etc. Then I took out a Griso and absolutely fell in love with it. I'd go Griso over Breva, but maybe change the exhaust - its BIG and seriously heavy - there's stuff available. And luggage is available if you want to tour.

·
Registered
503 Posts
thass right, I have one in my garage. It's not exactly a cruiser, it's more a standard/sport tourer...hard to categorize this bike.

I've had nothing but good things to say about it until my last road trip to San Diego. 1,000 miles in five days and then suddenly the front brake rotors warped (8,000 total miles on the bike). These are 5mm thick 320mm diameter Brembo rotors. I don't know what happened but I began to feel a grab/release sensation that quickly turned into my fork acting like pogo stick when stopping.

OK, stuff happens. The part that chaps me is this: I took the bike back to the dealer (8 months after purchase) and told them I had at least 1.6mm runout in the front brake rotors (I measured)they told me to bring the the bike back in a couple of days so they could confirm a problem then told me "yeah, it's 1.5mm on one side and 1.7mm on the other, we'll have to contact Piaggio for authorization to replace them". Bear in mind that this is a standard/sport tourer machine, I don't thrash it.

That was a month ago. My Breva is still in the garage waiting for parts and repair.

I could contrast this with my MV experience, but suffice to say my MV dealer (and distributor) did NOT treat me this way.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's a great bike and I like it a lot. My wife has a Breva 750 that she loves. But Piaggio needs to get their act together regarding parts supply and warranty repairs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I test rode the Breva 1100 and thought it was a good all around bike, but wasn't particularly impressed. I thought it was a tad underpowered. My friend just bought a new R1200R, which I like a lot better. More power, handling comparable, but feels lighter than the Breva. Maybe the Breva is slightly better for touring, but you can put bags on the new R. In short, I might suggest a test ride on the BMW - personal preference on liking one over the other - but they are both good all around bikes. On the other hand, I really like the look of the Griso. One of the best new designs I've seen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer network (Piaggio) does make me wary. I havent found one I like in the DFW area, so I would be doing most if not all of the maintanance. It appears from the above posts that parts availability is the problem? I agree that the Griso looks tougher and probably runs harder than the Breva, however I intend to use the goose as a tourer/commuter. I would think that I would want the extra weight, and to me, the Breva looks better for 2 up riding. I like the BMW, but the price is killing me, and since buying the MV I have aquired a disgusting stage 3 Italian fettish as far as bikes, cars and women apply. (you can keep the shoes) :naughty:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fazer, havent heard of the sport 1200, but I'll look for it at the mc show this weekend.
thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
756 Posts
gumption said:
The dealer network (Piaggio) does make me wary. I havent found one I like in the DFW area, so I would be doing most if not all of the maintanance. It appears from the above posts that parts availability is the problem? I agree that the Griso looks tougher and probably runs harder than the Breva, however I intend to use the goose as a tourer/commuter. I would think that I would want the extra weight, and to me, the Breva looks better for 2 up riding. I like the BMW, but the price is killing me, and since buying the MV I have aquired a disgusting stage 3 Italian fettish as far as bikes, cars and women apply. (you can keep the shoes) :naughty:
Good point on the price...the BMW is considerably more. Over $15k with all the options. I think the Breva 1100's were near MSRP at the start...but I think you can get a good deal now. There are financing promotions as well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Funny, if I were to by a commuter bike, the BMW R1200R and Breva 1100 would be tops on the list.

Just sitting still in the dealer, I like the feel of the Guzzi better. But BMWs tend to have more nice accessories like bags, etc.

Koop, doesn't your bike just have a standard Brembo caliper and disc setup? I'll have to look at the Guzzi at my dealer to be sure... But I think that's all VERY standard stuff, and it shouldn't warp or cause problems. And it's not like the parts are rare either. Maybe the carrier is unique to that bike? But the discs and calipers I believe are parts bin items for lots of Italian bikes. I think even the BMW has the same calipers, just rebranded.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Breva does feel more substantial. I haven't ridden many Moto Guzzi's so I also found the vibration from the engine odd. I guess I'm used to the BMW's. Also, the new R1200R is really nothing like the R1150R - vast improvement in the handling/weight dept. All that being said, the Breva is a lot of bike for the $

·
Registered
22 Posts
the only real problem with the guzzi's is that there distribution is horrible parts take forever eveen for us as a dealer, so if you break you will need to be patient as guzzi is slow, hell we are a guzzi dealer and we have all guzzi warranty suspended until guzzi can get right so our customers can be treated properly.

just my .02

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Nice... That's ugly. That right there is enough to turn me away then. I know the Guzzi and BMW dealers well in Tucson, and I haven't heard of any service issues with BMWs at all.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I used to have a Le Mans in the early 80's, not exactly the same animal as a modern Breva but the same engine configuration. Guzzis have bucket loads of character, but I prefer my V twins to be of the longitudinal variety these days. :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
errr, not exactly, unless they come wrapped in a Buell frame. :) I was thinking more of that other Italian firm beginning with a D. :moped:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts