MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my bike f4 750 1+1 2002 for its mot it passed but the examiner said he could feel slight vibration in the front wheel and said it could be the bearings, I have put the bike on a front stand and cannot feel any movement from moving the wheel from side to side but when the front brake is on there is some movement but only small. Do I need new bearings? or is this normal?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Today my bike f4 750 1+1 2002 for its mot it passed but the examiner said he could feel slight vibration in the front wheel and said it could be the bearings, I have put the bike on a front stand and cannot feel any movement from moving the wheel from side to side but when the front brake is on there is some movement but only small. Do I need new bearings? or is this normal?
If you want to check the front bearings Andrew, take the wheel off and spin the wheel holding the bearing races each side on your fingers. If you feel any roughness then the bearings are screwed.

The bearings are so cheap it isn't worth messing about with.

Go to " Simply bearings" who have an eBay store. I have used them and others for many years. Make sure you buy branded bearings and tell them they are for motorcycle wheels FAG SKF etc .

Don't buy the budget range..

joe

·
Registered
837 Posts
As said, for the cost (and piece of mind), it's just as easy to replace ......

I thought that (slight) bearing play was an advisory rather than a failure now?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody thinking steering head bearing ?
Would this cause the vibration? After another check there was some dirt on the pads so after cleaning them off the noise has gone as has the slight vibration. If the head bearings are loose how will this affect the handling as when I rode home there were no issues.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to check the front bearings Andrew, take the wheel off and spin the wheel holding the bearing races each side on your fingers. If you feel any roughness then the bearings are screwed.

The bearings are so cheap it isn't worth messing about with.

Go to " Simply bearings" who have an eBay store. I have used them and others for many years. Make sure you buy branded bearings and tell them they are for motorcycle wheels FAG SKF etc .

Don't buy the budget range..

joe
Thanks Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
If you stand the bike upright, pull the front brake, move the bike backwards and forwards, you might just hear/feel the steering bearings are loose, if it's them.
It might even be a tyre with a flat spot.

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Andrew..

This is how I check front steering bearings on MV's & Ducati's..

Place the bike on the factory paddock stand.. With a small plank of wood and a couple of rags under the exhaust pipes or sump on the Ducati's, lift the front of the bike using a hydraulic jack ( some times having a spare pair of hands near by could come in handy)..

With the load off the front wheel, you should be able to check for any play in the steering head races..

Considering the current condition of the UK roads, I wouldn't be surprised if more and more bikes steering bearings need checking and possibly a small adjustment..

The front suspension drop links on my car need replacing every two years nowadays because of all the pot holes on the roads...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts