MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike in for its MoT test and was informed that it had failed on both fork seals, which the examiner said we're leaking badly.:jsm:

It came as a bit of a surprise is as I never noticed anything when prepping the bike for the test.

So I booked it in for a re test 30 mins later as I was going to do the usual trick of packing tissue behind the dust seals just to get the pass.:naughty:

To my surprise when I popped the dust seals off I found there was no leak, but a load of grease packed around the oil seals which was the source of the misting on the forks.

I even left the dust seals off to show there was no leaks when it was re tested. The examiner looked a bit embarrassed especially after telling me how bad the failed seals were and was ready to quote for fixing them.

Glad I found this before going through the hassle of dropping the forks out for new seals.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oil seals are for oil, not grease. Why would someone pack grease around them. Tends to attract grit and the like, and when grease eventually goes clumpy then you have problems.
Had to change the seals on the MV at 4000 miles. Close inspection revealed nothing, so why they leaked was a mystery. Even used a seal scraper just incase there was a bug or suchlike trapped, nothing there either.
The old 998 Ducati had a similar problem around the same mileage, entrusted that to Ducati dealer, big mistake, got the forks back with 2 lovely scratches in them in exactly the same place on each fork. Wasnt us came the reply. :ahhh:
Always do my own servicing after that episode.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting point on using grease to hide leaking oil seals, never seen that before. I checked on mine after cleaning the grease off and they seem OK.

I can only assume that they came out of the factory like that, but can't think why. The bikes only got 4k on it and has had no work done on the forks that I am aware of in its service history.

I ruled out the shop doing it as an MoT con, to get work, as they are very genuine and they know I do my own work. Anyhow, at least there was no rebuild required and they are not leaking, well not yet anyhow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found that putting silicon valve lubricant grease under the dust seals on notoriously leaky Ohlins forks stops them leaking by keeping the seals lubricated. The seals seem to collect dry packed in dirt otherwise, and this stops them sealing, especially when work means that my bikes sit around for weeks unused.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting point on using grease to hide leaking oil seals, never seen that before. I checked on mine after cleaning the grease off and they seem OK.

I can only assume that they came out of the factory like that, but can't think why. The bikes only got 4k on it and has had no work done on the forks that I am aware of in its service history.

I ruled out the shop doing it as an MoT con, to get work, as they are very genuine and they know I do my own work. Anyhow, at least there was no rebuild required and they are not leaking, well not yet anyhow.
A minute amount of assembly grease is used, virtually nothing at all. MOT shop wasn't Colwyn Bay Motorcycles by any chance.
Had mine from there, fully serviced etc etc 2k on the clock. Happened to call in at my mates place, the now defunct Motocorse in Wrexham, low and behold the front steering bearings were loose, very loose, very lucky indeed. They can cause cracks, how that could miss on the service....now I do all the servicing and make sure its cleaned before re assembly

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Safety inspections in England are done by independent shops, not a government agency? Couldn't that lead to all kinds of fraud by unscrupulous inspectors?

·
Registered
249 Posts
A minute amount of assembly grease is used, virtually nothing at all. MOT shop wasn't Colwyn Bay Motorcycles by any chance.
Had mine from there, fully serviced etc etc 2k on the clock. Happened to call in at my mates place, the now defunct Motocorse in Wrexham, low and behold the front steering bearings were loose, very loose, very lucky indeed. They can cause cracks, how that could miss on the service....now I do all the servicing and make sure its cleaned before re assembly

I was wondering what happened to Motocorse. They are still down as an official MV service centre. I was going to get the F3 serviced there but when I popped in they had gone. Shame I'd heard they were really good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Safety inspections in England are done by independent shops, not a government agency? Couldn't that lead to all kinds of fraud by unscrupulous inspectors?

Well, that would be like termite damage inspectors here in SoCal that also happen to repair termite damage…..:wtf:

When I lived in NY, it was the same way repair shops did the safety inspections.:bandit:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was wondering what happened to Motocorse. They are still down as an official MV service centre. I was going to get the F3 serviced there but when I popped in they had gone. Shame I'd heard they were really good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
No unfortunately Tony had to throw in the towel, not enough support so the business went pop. Last rumour I had heard, was that he had disappeared to the US of A. Shame that , he was a nice chap and his service was top shelf.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

The MoT station was Jonesies in Kinmel Bay, I have put many bikes through there and I find them firm but fair with the testing, they don't
let much through if it's not right.

I do see the conflict in interest when they offer to do failure repairs.

I Never been happy with Colwyn Bay. MC just because of their attitude.

Moto Corsa where good but very track focused. I believe Tony has set up shop in SoCal, doing trackday services. Our loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts