MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got to remembering how naughty I've been over the years, and I thought it would be fun to see how I compare to the rest of you misanthropes! :D

So - here goes. All speeds in Miles per Hour, not km/h.

1999 - 130 in a 35, Middletown NJ, on my CBR1100XX. Three points on the license, naughty-boy traffic school and $540 fine. :smoking:

2008 - 145 in a 25, Las Vegas, NV, in a rented Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. Hired "Ticketbusters" for $150 and that was it... :yo:

Got away with it:

1989 - 180 in a 60, Worcestershire, England, on a borrowed turbo ZZR1100 (called a ZX-11 in the USA). Cop car crashed trying to catch me... Changed jacket/helmet, rode back the other way on my own bike rubbernecking at the upside-down cop Ford Sierra Cosworth chase car that was being recovered. No injuries, but the cop driver was almost puce with rage as I rode past. :naughty:

1991 - 150 in a 70, then a 40, then a 30, Bristol, England, on my VFR750F. Hid in an abandoned house's back garden for four hours, nearly crapping myself every time I heard a siren. :jerkoff:

So - what are your stories?

EDIT - I almost forgot: I got the Z1000, and then the Brute ('cos the Z was a bit crap) to try to slow me down a bit; naked bikes let you feel the speed a little better than faired bikes. My CBR feels like it's doing 60 at 120... I'll let you all know how that works out for me, eh? :D

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Man-o-man... how can I ever compare to those numbers?! I was chased once as a ripped past a 25 mile zone. Classic hiding behind the barn trick. Since I've had my B4 I've had a handful of close calls. I do agree feeling the speed helps.

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
i have run from the cops two times for passing them doing wheelies (6 years ago) and one time passing two cops going the opposite way, with their lights flashing for me, doing about 110 in a 35 (also about 5 years ago when i was young and stupid). No tickets thankfully and none of them on the MV!

The guy at the top wins hands down!! 145 in a 25!!!!!! Nuts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I feel very fortunate to have nothing to contribute to this thread because I have had more close calls in two years on the Brutale than all previous bikes combined. The same holds true for crashes. I thought I was a good rider when I got it but the MV has been a reality check.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I have an exceedingly large penis does that count??:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Does it belong to you or are you just holding onto it for someone?

J/K:jerkoff:
That would be telling Rob, but as this thread seems to be about who's got the largest Ego I thought I'd get in early!:stickpoke

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Speeding in a 25 mile zone is not something I'd want to boast about :jerkoff:, and getting the ticket that goes with it just makes you stupid. Then again, the 25 mile zones in the US might be different from the ones I know.

I like to ride fast (on an F4, not the Brutale which'll make you lose your licence even faster) and I like to hold on to the licence that enables me to ride.

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Fair question. Good question.

No. I got bagged in my truck in Virginia for 70 in a 55. No professional courtesy at all.
I'm glad some of those guys share the love. Civilians shouldn't be the only ones who get to experience the joy of a BS ticket :naughty:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Police officers are civilians too. Unless you fall under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, you're a civilian.

But I get your point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speeding in a 25 mile zone is not something I'd want to boast about :jerkoff:, and getting the ticket that goes with it just makes you stupid. Then again, the 25 mile zones in the US might be different from the ones I know.

...which they are. I was out on Mount Charleston which is a lovely, empty mountain road with capricious speed limits of 65, 55, 45, 35 and 25. I later learned from the cop that this is for the purpose of raising revenue, as the cops love to prey on the bikers and sports car drivers who come out to drive the curves at a reasonable pace. The speed limits are set to encourage you to break them; my 25 sign was hidden behind a tree, just after a bend - and came just after a 55 sign.

Over here in the US, speed limits - especially those on country roads - are often absurdly low. This is for - as far as I can gather - the following reasons:

- Americans can, in some states, drive a car alone when they are as young as 15
- Most (nearly all) cars in America are automatic, and most drivers do not learn proper vehicle control unless their parents encourage them; there is no separate test for manual vs. automatic
- Especially in the 70's and 80's, domestic American cars had the handling characteristics of a greasy hippo on a waterbed - not especially conducive to spirited cornering
- Many country roads are not well served by ambulance service, so the cops would rather just keep the speeds down to minimize the need for emergency response
- Low speed limits = higher speeding fine revenues

With all this in mind, plus the remnants of the Gas Crisis of the 70's, many speed limits remain absurd. On the other hand, in parts of Texas, Montana and other states, the daytime speed limit is 85 on the freeway.

And - as far as ego or boasting goes - that wasn't the intent of this thread. A certain amount of self-excoriation was intended, since I am quite sure that I'm not alone in having done some spectacularly stupid things when I was younger. I live in a constant state of mild astonishment that I've made it to the advanced age of 40, and I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up.

Sure; we all regret some things that we've done. I was hoping to generate a few laughs by sharing some of my stupidity and hoping that others here would be able to do the same.

To be sure, I'm quite disappointed that the grown-up joy-killer in the thread hails from the land of legal prostitution, "Coffee Shops" and what used to be one of the very best biking events and tracks in the world - Assen.

:crazyeyes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be telling Rob, but as this thread seems to be about who's got the largest Ego I thought I'd get in early!:stickpoke
Oi, John - we'll have less! 'Ave yer seen yer arse, or what?

And from a Yorkshireman, too! As my wife (a Doncaster lass) says - "you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much"!

And if I started this thread to determine the biggest of anything, it would have been to see if I was the biggest prat on a bike (or used to be, at least) - or if there were others around to make me look and feel a little better...

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
60mph in a 40 in my Tacoma pickup. 2points and a $130 fine.

Almost 160 on the track...don't think there is a speed limit there.:naughty:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
How about closest calls re: collisions? I almost met an early death last Friday when a M-B came barreling around a blind corner traveling the down the wrong side of a divided parkway :jsm:
Didn't help that I was doing 75 in a 40, and he was probably doing around 50.

Definitely in my top 5 of near-death experiences.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts