MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most famous Porsche?
I don't mean general model, like the 911 or, 356, but what is the most famous specific Porsche car?

My wife & I came up with our pick after a chat, but I'm curious to see what others might come up with...

Alex

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
I agree - in fact, right now I can't think of any other...

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I used to have one like this in the eighties: along with a filolfax and a mobile phone that was the size of a house brick. :jsm:

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
At first I was going to mention the 917-30 that Mark Donahue drove to win
the 1973 Can Am championship later driven to the close course record held for
many years-over 1100 HP less then 2000lbs. But I will say Twoeleven is
right-"little bastard" (Deans' 550 spyder) maybe the most famous(infamous?)
Porsche.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Haaaaa! RobP, that is EXACTLY the one I was going to go with!!! I decided on James Dean's because Altoon wanted a specific car, and that would have left it to this...

Griff
twoeleven

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, that was our pick as well - James Dean's 550 (aka Lil' Bastard). I didn't know it, but the car is actually missing!

My second pick was the Mark Donohue Porsche 917-30 "Can-Am Killer" (est. 1100 - 1500 bhp, adjustable via dash mounted boost controller).

Thrid was the 959 of Bill Gates (Paul Allen has one too), because that car couldn't be driven on the road in the USA for a while due to government restrictions. As you can expect, guys like that can have some laws changed...

Alex

oh - wanted to add that I thought it was interesting that the most famous Porsche isn't one of their race cars! Odd, how a company with so much success at racing, has a car driven by an actor as it's most known vehicle! Ah, the power of celebrity.

edit -"boots controller" - what the hell is that?! something that keeps your shoes clean? hahah - damn, sometimes even spell check can't help!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, you'll have to use the same label on MV designers.

Both Castiglioni and Tamburini have stated in the press that the model they want to follow is Porsche's development of the 911.

You gonna call them lazy too?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts