MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done nearly five hundred miles now, and noticed after about forty miles of continuous riding, that I start to get pins and needles in my hands. There seems to be a fair bit of vibration in the handlebars around 6k. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Also I gave the bike a good clean, and took the fairing off for a nosey around. I've heard stories of coolant and oil leaks, but everything was just fine!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I get the vibration, but not the pins and needles. Could it be you're gripping to hard? It's easily done with the throttle, fighting against the return spring.

Si

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I grip the bars too tightly, I'm quite relaxed on the bike, and I get it in both hands. I've heard people noting that the throttle is a little stiff, but I think it's OK. Also I've heard people mention that the throttle response is quite abrupt on the F4 1000, but I thinks it's fine.
It's really funny how peoples opinions differ!

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi my bike is set up for fast A roads you have to compromise on the best settings for your area. It seems to me that this machine is less tollerant than some bikes. Maybe because of the excellent feed back we feel we are more inclined to make changes?. It hates bumpy town roads and so do i, the price we pay ah. As far as vibration is concerned have you ever rode a tuned Norton Dominator? now thats vibration. The tingling in the fingers i think is caused by your tendons in your wrist putting pressure on the nerves wich run through the carpal tunnell, it might pay to maybe adjust the angle of your levers so that the wrist is straighter. This is something i am going to try.
Hope i am not wrong have we a Doctor on board that could enlighten us?
Alex.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Of corse there is our super Doc spalding12 - Greg.....but he just picked up his Brutale (today), so probably no way to catch him soon...... :naughty:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Alexaye said:
Hi my bike is set up for fast A roads you have to compromise on the best settings for your area. It seems to me that this machine is less tollerant than some bikes. Maybe because of the excellent feed back we feel we are more inclined to make changes?. It hates bumpy town roads and so do i, the price we pay ah. As far as vibration is concerned have you ever rode a tuned Norton Dominator? now thats vibration. The tingling in the fingers i think is caused by your tendons in your wrist putting pressure on the nerves wich run through the carpal tunnell, it might pay to maybe adjust the angle of your levers so that the wrist is straighter. This is something i am going to try.
Hope i am not wrong have we a Doctor on board that could enlighten us?
Alex.
Not a Doctor but I had both Carpel tunnels operated on about 7 years back now, I used to get pins and needles within about 5 miles of home on my 748Ducati, also when sitting at a table holding a newspaper in front of me, I have had nothing at all since the operation's.
I found my 1000 hard work down some roads, I chased a Firebalde through Clocaenog forest, he wasn't being shot out of the seat like i was :jsm: ! I got Maxton to make a rear shock and sort the forks, the bike is now very good :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Mike i had the same problem, being a fellow engineer it's quite a common complaint amongst those with hands on exsperiance. Only had the left wrist done after a break still not right though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe It could be me getting on a bit know, as I'm 41.
I used to get the same thing on my 996, but I don't have any problems with arm pump etc, when I ride dirt bikes, so it could also be the riding position, I might try adjusting the levers though!
With regard to the handling, I find that my F4, doesn't like bumpy roads. I backed off the suspension to the softest settings, which improved things a bit, but she definately prefers smoother tarmac! I would say the suspension at it's softest is an improvement over my Ducati 996, which liked to have me out of the seat on bumpy roads. I do quite a lot of riding in the peak district, as I live just north of Derby. I have a number of favorite roads that really suit the F4. Perhaps Valentino Rossi might like to have a ride out in the Peak one Day?

Best Regards

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
I have about 670 miles on my Senna now... I have noticed how different(extreme) the riding position is compared to my 03 R6, but still it is relaxing compared to riding my road bicycles where my back is almost completely horizontal.

I think the numbness is simply because there is too much weight placed on the wrist and perhaps too tight of a grip at the same time, kinda like holding a power tool too tight and too long(weed wacker, chain saw, massager, vibrator...), it is a common issue with cyclist, try bending at the elbow a bit more and rest your stomach on the tank a little. basically support the body weight with the core strength.

I have also heard of riders wearing cycling gel padded gloves under their riding gloves to help cushion the vibrations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice Odonata!
You've overtaken me on the mileage front, I've only done 500, too much rain!!!!!
Just about to go out and do some more though!
I've just ordered some goodies from Emoto, which should be here tomorrow!
Ain't life great!!!!
How are you getting on with the repairs? (Well I Hope?)
What happened about the paint rubbing off on your rear sub frame?

Best Regards

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Hank_UK said:
Thanks for the advice Odonata!
You've overtaken me on the mileage front, I've only done 500, too much rain!!!!!
Just about to go out and do some more though!
I've just ordered some goodies from Emoto, which should be here tomorrow!
Ain't life great!!!!
How are you getting on with the repairs? (Well I Hope?)
What happened about the paint rubbing off on your rear sub frame?

Best Regards
although I have a lot of miles on the Senna, I still have not taken it to places where I can scrub off those chicken strips... will do that next week.

so what goodies did you ordered from emoto? :naughty: :naughty:

thanks for asking, the repair of the Senna is on hold, although PI has the parts list now, they still don't have prices yet from CAGIVA USA last week.

I have touched up the little scratches for now, the lever has been replaced, so unless if you knew something was wrong and look for it, you won't notices the inperfections. also, since the bike was parked/not in motion when it was damaged, my insurance rate will not be going up... but still there is a $500 deductable, which is minor compared to the total of the estimate, I reckon.

I still don't have any news regarding the subframe situation, PI is aware of it and they agree that it is not right to have paint coming off and told me that they will check with CAGIVA USA.

I will call them soon to find out what they have found out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
odonata said:
I have also heard of riders wearing cycling gel padded gloves under their riding gloves to help cushion the vibrations.
Yop, or you can cut out the gel pads and glue to your motorcycle gloves you use for long rides...I'm thinking of doing that myself. The first method might stretch and loosen the leather in your gloves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts