MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joy, joy. My garage has been smelling way too fuely recently and I couldn't figure out where the hell it was coming from. Having already replaced the quick release fuel line, I didn't suspect the MV and kept cursing my old Chevy SS. My 910R is leaking fuel from two of the three left side embedded nuts that hold the tank bracket on. What a drag. We'll see how good the warranty is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you fueled the bike hot and then parked shortly afterward (did not burn much getting home) this happens...or has happened to me and others... I just make sure to ride some after fueling...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. That is exactly what happened. You actually had fuel seeping out of the bolt holes? I tightened them up a bit and it stopped. But with the bolts out it keeps leaking. Is it the fuel load? I have the tank off now, wonder if when I put it back on and the bolts take a load it will start leaking again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
BruteAli said:
Thanks Steve. That is exactly what happened. You actually had fuel seeping out of the bolt holes? I tightened them up a bit and it stopped. But with the bolts out it keeps leaking. Is it the fuel load? I have the tank off now, wonder if when I put it back on and the bolts take a load it will start leaking again.
Not the bolt holes - at least in my case and others... It was coming from one or more of the rubber tubes that exit the left side of the engine. I thought that yours might be dropping gas on the bolts, giving the appearance of a leak there. It does not sound like you are dealing with the same problem, though.

Perhaps someone else has seen this or you may have a more serious issue...

Good luck, SteveC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it is not coming from the tubes. I can see it seeping from the actual female nuts with the bolts out.. I think it is a defective tank. You got my hopes up there for a second but after a reread of your thread I believe that to be a different issue. I have left the tank off for now till day light and see if loading up the brakcets against the frame will make them leak again. Will see how it goes. Defintely not smoking near the thing presently. Thanks for you input Steve.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good luck to you and let us know what is at the root of this. Hopefully, it is a unique issue (if it is serious, anyway) and we will not see more of this amongst the others.

Sorry to get your hopes up, I should have been more specific in my post and paid more attention to the specifics you described.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Bad tank is right! The threaded tubes for those brakets are welded in and I've always wondered if overtightening could overstress a welded joint, pure conjecture though as this is the first one I've heard of doing this. Even crashed bikes have rarely split their tanks from what I've heard.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your as usual knowledgable input James. I was wondering how the threaded tubes were held in. Of course the dealer says that since I have wrenched on the bike they don't want to deal with it. Never mind that the first time I took the tank off was when it was already leaking or that I use a torque wrench, blah, blah. But that was just one phone call, I will pursue it more shortly. With the bolts a little over hand tight, it stops leaking. With the bolts out, the rear and top tubes seep fuel. Never seen anything like it in all my years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes soulrider, still under warrenty. The dealer is actually a nice guy. Don't blame him for not wanting to deal. The rep idea is good though. But I like James' idea, I will get some epoxy and give it a shot. That should work given that I can get in there and also that it is such a slight seepage. Of course a carbon tank could be nice too as would me evacuating gold coins to pay for it....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Prepare for the work with 100% stainless hose clamps at the ready and have some silicone grease for the fuel pump flange large o-ring and quick connect o-rings. Should be fairly quick job. There is also a drain with a copper washer that's supposed to be replaced if you use it. I normally just siphon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts