MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, new SPU bought, everything works well. I went for a ride the other day and I noticed my battery light came on as well as noticed my dash light wasn't on and had no ruining lights. Luckily the fuse was blown. Any idea what popped the fuse?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Do,the battery lead change.all 3 leads,might help.Mine used to blows fuses occasionally,but have had no issues since the change over,just a thought .

cheers eddy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, well.... Last night was riding and I turned the bike off to turn it back on and popped the fuse put a new fuse in and ran forever until I turned the bike off and then let it sit to turn back on and popped. This time it popped twice. Got it going and fine. When stopped again let it sit for a bit this time it was fine, I started the bike up let it run put it into gear and pop it blew the fuse. I tried changing it out and ended up going through 10+ spare fuses until I had to call a buddy to come and get me. I love this bike but Im fixing to get rid of it. Ive owned it now 5 weeks and its been broke 5 weeks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would suggest that you search for the problem, rather than continually replace fuses. Eventually the fuse may not protect the bike, and you could fry the whole electrical system, or worse, you could have a fire and loose everything.

A fuse is gods gift to the electrical world. They don't blow unless there is a reason, and anything connected to that circuit may or may not be the cause of the problem. But at least they prevent the entire electrical system from burning up.

Try downloading the electrical manual from Donsy's website (link in the maintenance forum), and find the fuse that blows in the diagram. Then look at every piece of electrical that connects to the fuse, and of course, look at the wiring too!

If you can unplug relays, lights, devices, etc and then put a new fuse in, all the better. Removing all or some of the loads is a good way to narrow down the search. Start plugging in parts until either the fuse blows, or everything works. If the fuse still blows with everything removed, it is likely a wiring short, and not a bad / fried device.

I have seen something as simple as a bad light bulb cause the fuse to blow. Sometimes a small area of wire insulation is chaffed / rubbed bare / cracked and is grounding out on the frame / engine. Occasional faults are the hardest to find, but if you are popping the same fuse continually, it is likely something really simple / easy to find with a little time, a ohm-meter, and some luck (or skill).

Good luck.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
ok, well...... I started the bike up let it run put it into gear and pop it blew the fuse.......
I'm assuming the stand was already up......

2 things were involved......the clutch switch and the neutral switch......sounds like a short to ground :naughty:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes stand was up and clutch in. I let the bike sit a few days so plenty of time to cool. I believe its the wire gauge is too small at the battery. It's building too much resistance and causing to pop the fuse. When it cooled it fired right up no issues

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Yes stand was up and clutch in. I let the bike sit a few days so plenty of time to cool. I believe its the wire gauge is too small at the battery. It's building too much resistance and causing to pop the fuse. When it cooled it fired right up no issues
If the bike cranks its not wire gauge......its a short

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Anthony

Would be good if you got a multimeter..They are cheap and will save you alot of hassle.

Your bike is a Brutale 910s ?

Your fuses are numbered.

If you post up a picture of the fusebox or the fuse number would help in diagnosing your problem. Below is a fuse list off the 910s manual.

F1 5 Instrument panel warning light
F2 5 Side lights
F3 5 Speed sensor
F4 5 Right direction indicator
F5 5 Left direction indicator
F6 15 Electric cooling fan
F7 5 Rear headlight/stop light
F8 15 Latch relay
F9 7.5 Starter switch
F10 15 Dipped beam headlight
F11 5 Instrument panel clock
F12 15 Main beam headlight
F13 15 Injectors-Fuel pump-Coils
F14 40 Battery recharge
F15 40 Spare for battery recharge

I'm guessing F13 is the one causing the problem but there is no need for guessing when you have the fusebox in front of you ; )

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts