MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've now about 500 miles on my bike, and the "clicking" sound is more frequent, beginning to bother me. Never have I heard such a noise on any of my other bikes in the present or in the past.

The clicking sound is much like the sound you hear when you are driving in your car, and your tire picks-up a rock, throws it into the wheel well and makes a loud 'TICK" or "CLICK" sound.... but this is no rock.... this sound is definitely coming from within the engine of my 1000R.

At first, I only heard the sound just after a downshift, now I hear the sound in other situations, goes like this:

1) Blip-Downshift, roll throttle slowly.... CLICK!

2) Roll throttle to about 4-5k RPM, decelerate... roll throttle slowly again .... CLICK! (this is when it happens the most now)

3) Up-shift, roll throttle... CLICK!

It's driving me nuts wondering what it is. What could it be? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Surely I am not imagining it.

I will be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I will not be able to take my bike in for service until next month.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
I've now about 500 miles on my bike, and the "clicking" sound is more frequent, beginning to bother me. Never have I heard such a noise on any of my other bikes in the present or in the past.

The clicking sound is much like the sound you hear when you are driving in your car, and your tire picks-up a rock, throws it into the wheel well and makes a loud 'TICK" or "CLICK" sound.... but this is no rock.... this sound is definitely coming from within the engine of my 1000R.

At first, I only heard the sound just after a downshift, now I hear the sound in other situations, goes like this:

2) Roll throttle to about 4-5k RPM, decelerate... roll throttle slowly again .... CLICK!

It's driving me nuts wondering what it is. What could it be? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Surely I am not imagining it.

I will be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I will not be able to take my bike in for service until next month.
When I had my R1 it made a sound like that. the dealer couldn't figure out what it was.:ahhh:It sounded like a pebble in a cylinder or somethihg.:jsm:

I did notice on my rides today that this bike does make a bit of noise, just not as you discribe. Mine is more like a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz like a vibration. Maybe one of the Dzus fasteners are loose?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brandon -- it really does feel like there is a pebble or something in the engine, hate it.

About the buzzing... mine has a buzz coming somewhere in the nose fairing, probably from the windscreen buzzing against the fairing, or if not the windscreen, then the headlight or perhaps the right sidemirror. I'm guessing it's the windscreen... I'm thinking when I have the time, I will put something there to make it shut up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would ignore the sound and ride the bike little bit harder. Sounds like intake popcorns:yo:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would ignore the sound and ride the bike little bit harder. Sounds like intake popcorns:yo:
Yes, FSL ... in fact it does sound like exhaust popcorns, except that it comes from under the tank... I didn't know there is "intake" popcorns??!!!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I wonder how the valve clearances are? Have the dealer check it out for the first service since it is just about due.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
I never thought about that, but it makes perfect sense!:ahhh:
When I put an air filter and velocity stacks on my R1 there was a bit of dirt in there and even a Bee.:jsm:

Check it out Sig, that could be an easy fix!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
It's the EBS valve under the tank, get your bike set up properly including a TPS reset, you will need to check if your dealer has the MV Agusta software to do this, i'm 90 odd% certain that is what you are hearing, my mates 1000S used to do it all the time when riding slowly in the smaller throttle openings.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
While we are on the subject of noises.

I changed my oil a few days ago, went for a ride and when I stopped outside my garage, my neighbour noticed a mad rattling sound. Of course I said thats the clutch, when I pulled the clutch lever in it was a little quieter.
I have to admit the rattle is far louder than before the oil change. I use Silcolene 4T race 15w 50 oil.

Anyone use this oil and notice the engine becoming noisy?

My guess is, the viscosity of this particular oil won't hide engine noises in much the same way as a lower viscosity oil, does that sound right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
the important factor is the SAE rating ie 15W-50, the spec ie ACEA or API and mineral or synthetic

SAE relates viscosity to temperature cold and hot so

15W means that 0 degC the oil behaves like a SAE15 oil ie thicker when cold than a 10W
50 means that at 100 degC the oil behaves like SAE50 oil ie thinner than 40

API grades should be either SL or SM
ACEA grades should be either A3 or A5

The very best oils are fully synthetic and should be labelled group 4(PAO) or group IV(PAO)

if your Silkolene oil which I can't find on their website meets the above spec it will be perfect, if not it's not necessarily bad but it is not the best oil available.

only Amsoil and Mobil do a group 4 synthetic. Some of Amsoil's oils aren't api certified which doesn't mean they're bad but does mean they could invalidate your warranty if you use them.

ultimately your owners manual should specify oils and standards that you should comply with but as in most things buying a recognized brand name and paying as much as you can afford is the best guarantee

you get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Brandon -- it really does feel like there is a pebble or something in the engine, hate it.

About the buzzing... mine has a buzz coming somewhere in the nose fairing, probably from the windscreen buzzing against the fairing, or if not the windscreen, then the headlight or perhaps the right sidemirror. I'm guessing it's the windscreen... I'm thinking when I have the time, I will put something there to make it shut up.
yeah the buzzing is coming from the top of the headlight rubbing on the nose cone. i finally found it after about ten miles of riding whilst hanging over the front of the bike!!!!! its had actually rubbed the paint of the inside of the fairing. I just took my nose cone off and put it back on again so it didnt rub - job done.
:f4:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah the buzzing is coming from the top of the headlight rubbing on the nose cone. i finally found it after about ten miles of riding whilst hanging over the front of the bike!!!!! its had actually rubbed the paint of the inside of the fairing. I just took my nose cone off and put it back on again so it didnt rub - job done.

Great advise, thank you, gracias, xie xie ni, merci, salamat, grazie, arigato, danke! :yo:

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts

Thanks It' was beginning to drive me crazy!:ahhh:

·
Administrator
18,853 Posts
the important factor is the SAE rating ie 15W-50, the spec ie ACEA or API and mineral or synthetic

API grades should be either SL or SM
ACEA grades should be either A3 or A5
VERY IMPORTANT....If the API grade is higher then SG it must also be JASO classification MA...This oil is suitable for wet clutch motorcycle engines. Some oils with API grade SH and higher have additives that are bad for our clutch friction plates.

Motorcycle specific oils also have anti-shear additives to help them survive the constant mesh transmissions that share the engine oil supply.

Like the man said...you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
23 Posts

2) Roll throttle to about 4-5k RPM, decelerate... roll throttle slowly again .... CLICK! (this is when it happens the most now)

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and mv,s, all jap bikes till a month ago,
I bought an 07 f4 1000 r from kjm superbikes just changed the oil (castrol edge sport 10w60) and filter, put an after market air filter in aswell and went to a mates house a mile away,he wasn't there so I literly stopped the bike and started it again, it seemed heavy to turn over and started after the third attempt.
Road it for about 6 miles and noticed a clicking in it, much the same as the clicking use guys r talking about, its still in her and im scared to ride it incase I do damage. Any advise as there are no MV dealers in Northern Ireland that I can take the bike to.
Thanks Doug (Northern Ireland)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did notice on my rides today that this bike does make a bit of noise, just not as you discribe. Mine is more like a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz like a vibration. Maybe one of the Dzus fasteners are loose?
Mine has one of those sounds when you roll off the throttle (similar to a playing card in the spokes when you were a kid only not as loud) It's driving me up the wall so if any one has any ideas it'd be much appreciated. - I'll try the head light/fairing to see if it's that

D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts