MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the bleak mid winter and I like to go out to the garage regularly and operate all the controls on the bikes,.turn the steering a bit and spin the wheels..just to keep the grease moving around..Can't hurt..
The F4 has Brembo Monoblocs fitted and the wheel is kinda hard to turn. Pads are dragging a little.
I know the bike like me will benefit from a good ride out but I'm planning on taking the calipers off and put a thin bit of plywood in as a faux disc then pump the pistons out a bit more than they would usually go without popping them out completely.
Then a spray and clean up with brake cleaner.

Is this about as much as I can do in addition to routine fluid bleed.

joe

·
Vendor
5,150 Posts
It's the bleak mid winter and I like to go out to the garage regularly and operate all the controls on the bikes,.turn the steering a bit and spin the wheels..just to keep the grease moving around..Can't hurt..
The F4 has Brembo Monoblocs fitted and the wheel is kinda hard to turn. Pads are dragging a little.
I know the bike like me will benefit from a good ride out but I'm planning on taking the calipers off and put a thin bit of plywood in as a faux disc then pump the pistons out a bit more than they would usually go without popping them out completely.
Then a spray and clean up with brake cleaner.

Is this about as much as I can do in addition to routine fluid bleed.

joe

Joe,just clean the pistons with hot soapy water and a cloth,no brake cleaner.

·
Registered
820 Posts
As Mitchy said hot soapy water. My boy did this on his track bike recently and said the difference in 'stiction' was very apparent afterwards and a big improvement.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just another little thing to consider, some brake have more drag than others... the M4 monoblocks, seem to get grimed up pretty quickly and start to drag, and if they sit for awhile you seem to get this as well.
with having M4, m50, and stylema for production calipers, the m4 were the worst for drag... best for not dragging or limited dragging is the R6 semi-monoblock calipers, at least out of stock bikes.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers fellas.

Yes, I'll pull the calipers off and clean the pistons with hot soapy water as suggested.

I'm fully confident a bit of tlc will bring them back to life.

I'm just aware that a dragging brake gets hot and I don't want it chucking me over the bars..That would be fooking embarrassing. !

Thanks V Much

Joe

·
Registered
14,203 Posts
?

Joe;
It's Brembos QC......if you have the 2 piece radial calipers, the torque on the 3 assembly bolts is all wrong
I had the same problem
On my '08 Brutale the middle bolt was screwdriver tight, one end bolt was at ~20 lbft the other one destroyed 2
T40 Torx bits .......I drilled the head off the POS ........want pictures?
Best thing for cleaning brake dust/slime .....20-25% Simple Green mixed with water......totally biodegradable
Except for the brake dust
All the runoff goes in an aluminum tray and goes in the toilet ........the sewage system can deal with it :wink2:
I don't use Brake Clean or anything like it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts