MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth buying? I'm familiar with rotational inertia, etc, but is buying the Magnesium parts like the wheels swingarm, lower triple, framplates, hub and spindle worth it? Does the ride change any afterwards? I'm talking rigidity, does it feel any different aside from feeling lighter?

I was also thinking of buying the complete Ti bolt kit...should lower a good amount of weight on the Brutale while looking pretty damn swank.

Any input?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I rode a bike with the cast mag wheels (made by Marvic instead of Brembo, but are the same design as stock, same as Oro) almost back to back with mine. The bike had some better suspension components and it was a race bike so that skews the results a little, but it definitely was noticeable how much better it turned and the suspension was a lot better. A lot of that was due to suspension work, but unsprung weight might have been part of it.

If cutting weight is your goal, I would start with the unsprung parts.

Really hard to say if the rest is worth it. If someone has done the replacement and has advice, I'd like to hear it too.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also readf somewhere lifespan is ~5 years??? wtf??? Is that true? Also, wth are you supposed to do about that?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I don't think it would be any stiffer, just lighter.
Also, you should replace magnesium parts periodically, because unlike some other alloys, they fail catastrophically, without any warning or stress cracks, so you must pre-emt them.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sounds like the answer to the original question (unless you have money to burn) is a NO then! :eek:

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
oicdn said:
Is it worth buying? I'm familiar with rotational inertia, etc, but is buying the Magnesium parts like the wheels swingarm, lower triple, framplates, hub and spindle worth it? Does the ride change any afterwards? I'm talking rigidity, does it feel any different aside from feeling lighter?

I was also thinking of buying the complete Ti bolt kit...should lower a good amount of weight on the Brutale while looking pretty damn swank.

Any input?
It depends by your money and how much you are a good rider!...I think....
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Great...Really looking forward to replacing my swingarm, frame plates, etc., for the purpose of preventative maintenance...Can't WAIT to get that bill!

Luckily I don't have Mag wheels!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
twoeleven said:
Great...Really looking forward to replacing my swingarm, frame plates, etc., for the purpose of preventative maintenance...Can't WAIT to get that bill!

Luckily I don't have Mag wheels!

Griff
twoeleven
That was my main fear....cause I mean, that would suck ass to have to do every coupla years....

Anybody else have any input? So it's just lighter? Not stiffer or anything else coming along with the reduced weight?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'd like to know if there is a difference between cast and forged as well. I believe most of the MV parts are cast mag. You can really see the casting marks on the stuff. I looked at a Brutale Oro really close for a while. It's really weird to see the casting marks on such an upscale bike... I guess it's in fashion or something?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
oicdn said:
That was my main fear....cause I mean, that would suck ass to have to do every coupla years....

Anybody else have any input? So it's just lighter? Not stiffer or anything else coming along with the reduced weight?
umm...it's also more expensive, and gold colored?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ahh, one more thing I just got reminded of when I read the new Roadracing World...

Magnesium triple clamps have a different feel. I talked with Dave Lambert who has done some development work for Marzocchi, and he said it's definitely noticeable between mag and aluminum. I think it's mostly in the top clamp though. The MV kit only has the bottom one, and as you point out in your signature, it's big...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't suspect so much in the feel in the swingarm...but I was thinking maybe the wheels and triple would do the most seeing as how the wheels are a different material, not only feeling lighter, but the physical properties of magnesium compared to al has to feel different. And I was expecting to hear it's a huge difference on the triple as that takes a bit of flex and torsional stress, the differences in AL and Mg should be REALLY noticeable on that...and the sideplates...meh I didn't know what to think on those, but those too see some torsional stresses....

I dunno, it was all speculation though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts