MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have the opertunity to pick up a brand new Mondial Piega 1000 bike....as some of you may well know, this is an Itallian exotic using a Honda RC51/SP1 V2 1000cc engine....not many of these were built. They are/were hand made, and similar to the Bimota(s), put a Japan made engine (in this case a V twin Honda mill) in a top quality Itallian made rolling chassis.

Does anyone out there have one, seen one, or ridden on in person???...I have only seen photos and read articles on them. I have talked to one guy who owned one. Im currently trying to get some more feedback and information on this bike. Im looking at adding it to my very small collection of Itallian exotics.....

thanks for any assist
:conveyer:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow, I'd do it if the price worked for me.

Stunning bike I recall from the articles.

No "practical" help for you though. Other than that engine is very durable, and capable of lots of power.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Never seen one in the flesh, but if the price is OK I think that would certainly be a collectable/rideable machine that should hold it's value very well. :smoking:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Nope never rode it or even seen it in person, but i saw some "good" deals on those and if i had more $$$ to spend on more bikes i would have bought one. :toothless

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was watching one that sold on e-bay a couple weeks back. I just deleted it from my watch list and now don't see in on a completed items search. I don't recall what it went for. It was used.

I was a big fan of the RC51 so the Mondial was definitely one of my favorite bikes. If it had a single-side swing arm, it would be perfect. :)

The engine might be durable, but it's expensive to make good power. Promisses of HRC kit parts availability never panned out or were expensive and hard to get. That might not be a big deal if you're looking for a collector and not planning on modifying. The RC51 was built to compete against the 750s. I like the big twin, it's fun, but it's not competitive in that you can get a better less-expensive less heavy package and more power in an inline 750 or 1K.

If it's what turns your crank, I'd say go for it. It is a cool bike. I'm not sure it will appreciate or even hold its value. But it definitely would be fun and unique.

Can you tell us the price?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The bike has a trellis frame. the swingarm was trellis as well and then covered with carbon fiber if I remember correctly or they stayed with that design. There were a couple different versions of the rear under-tail exhaust that were made. It used the stock RC51 instrument pod but the front suspension looked to be superbike Ohlins forks, I don't recall the brakes. I assume you've found some info on the Web.

I always thought it was a nice culmination of a lot of the components I like and nice that it had a HONDA motor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just buy it. it's not something that will ever be considered a serious riders weapon...but as rolling art it is exceptional. Add it too the collection, park it in the living room, ride it to the shop on nice saturdays...enjoy it for what it is. I seem to recall a story about the RC51 motor making it into the Mondial as a matter of professional courtesy between Honda and Mondial...something to do with favors granted to Honda when they were a fledgling company? Anybody recall this or am I halucinating again? :smoking:

·
Registered
479 Posts
BDMF said:
I seem to recall a story about the RC51 motor making it into the Mondial as a matter of professional courtesy between Honda and Mondial...something to do with favors granted to Honda when they were a fledgling company? Anybody recall this or am I halucinating again? :smoking:
Yep, that is correct, I remember that distinctly.

I'll leave further discussion of the mod potential of the engine alone in this thread...I am sure your plan doesn't include a 150RWHP twin anyways.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cool, I thought it was that whole "parallel reality" thing rearing it's ugly head again...... :later:

I think the bike kept completely stock would be the coolest, unless you could actually get your hands on Offical HRC parts for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes...keep it totally stock. I think it would look good next to my New and totally stock Bimota SB8RS, and Benelli Tornado TRE LE.... :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have seen two different bikes in person. One here in Dallas TX a fair number of times. Never ridden but I've seen it up close several times and out in the twisties once or twice. Very very impressive collectors bike.

Second bike I saw was in the shop at Munroe in San Francisco. Same model.

I think it's a perfect addition to the collection!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rumor has it that benelli's can be had for about $14,000. Any truth to that? i wouldnt mind one myself. As for the SB8R...well...another bit of Italian art! We need some pics posted of them together! :stickpoke

·
Living the Dream
2,759 Posts
Just buy it!! :stickpoke you never know when you might get the chance to own such an exclusive bike! that is the other bike i would have bought if not for the MV. I thought i knew a few things about rare bikes, but when i bought the MV i didn't even know what a mondial was. Plus, it is a beautiful italian bike, just buy it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can pick up a std Benelli TRE for $15-16 K USD....The LE bikes are harder to find, they only made 150 of them. Mine is #101 of 150. The LE is all carbon fiber with sand cast engine, dry clutch, and Titanium and magnesium odds and ends...very trick. The std bikes are much lower end but still nice....similar to a limited MV vs the std models.

The Benelli TRE LE bike I have started a few time, but I have not yet decided if I will ride it....maybe occassionally. But it like a number of my other Specials/Limited edition bikes, I bought for my enjoyment more as a work of art, rather than a bike to ride. About half my bikes are collectors items, the other half I bought to ride and use.

The Benelli bikes are similar to MVs in the fit and finish...generally very well done bikes.

The Bimotas I have have a little bit more billet components and are just a bit rougher around the edges. I understand the Mondial Piega is similar to the Bimotas and more like a kit bike....but this is to be expected in a very limited hand made bike. The mass production bikes generally have less of that handmade craftsmanship of these limited editions. Personally I like the handmade craftsmanship and the slightly more unique quality of these extremely low production specials and limited edition bikes.

That is what also draws me to both the Itallian Exotic sports bikes, and also the Itallian exotic cottage industry off road bikes like my Vertematis, VORs and TMs.....lots of sand casting, billet and exotic details. These bikes are usually made on a work bench rather than on a production mass assembly line...and they have "the look" of a works/factory race bike rather than a stamped cookie cutter look like a mass produced bike.

I only own European bikes...and mostly Itallian....for these above reasons. No one blends both form, beauty and function like the Itallians....

:blah: :smoking: :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have to agree with you that the handmade ones are trick with billets everywhere. The first time I took all of the fairing off the SB8R to inspect and recharge the battery, I was very impressed (ie., Mg valve covers in 1999...etc). There are a lot of functionality/purpose that was built into the design of the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of Mondials stolen from the factory last year. Might be worth doing a bit of a Google or research and find out what the story is with the bikes.

Re the TRE, what are they like? A my MV dealer here in Brisbane has a brand new 04 plated TRE for $19,990... seems like fantastic value especially given the bike has the sports pipe which makes it sound just glorious!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The rumor is that the Mondial factory was looted by partners and/or employees trying to get compensation for lost wages......

It is a said fact, and a common practice for these tiny Itallian firms to be "looted" when they go into some type of "bankrupt/recievership" status...the Bimota factory in Rumini was "looted" when it when belly up too....

The Chinese now own Benelli, but the bikes will still be built in Itally...we should be seeing new bikes coming out this year from Benelli. Word has it that there will be only a handful of bikes out this year, as new owners/managers get the company up and running again.

There is a new USA Importer, a good friend of mine as a matter of fact; I dont know if he/Benelli wants this made public yet however...

Benellis are very sweet bikes....if the factory can get back on its feet to provide warranty, parts ans service support, it will be another nice Itallian exotic right in the mix with Ducati and MV...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts