MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model specific Maintenance & Technical issues

Is it possible to have model specific Maintenance & Technical issues, thread headers.
The threads on the Models are more often than not either a technical or maintenance comment, observation or questions.
Some get moved some don't, but isn't it easier for us to scan through the threads related to our model of bike.
I have little interest in wading through new posts not related to my model at the time.
Surely Models should include technical and general comments, questions and advice related to that type of bike.Or is it just a post your pictures here thread line.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Now if you where part of this forum aiki, you would notice another section near the top which is related to suggestions etc for the forum.
The main reason we have these common sections, is because many of these bikes share parts and issues, so guys would ask a question about say a B3, somebody else has already asked the question in the F3 section, and guys have helped him too.
Can you see how many duplicate pots this causes.

I'm not trying to give you the shits here mate, this is an MV forum, with a lot of combined experience, which we all like to keep going as the new models grow.

Otherwise we could all just nip off and join a narrow minded F4 or B3 forum, don't you think?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still think it would be better to have a separate maintenance section for the 3s & 4s, they are totally different animals. Wading through the maintenance would be way more efficient than it is now & it would make it easier for users to post under the Models thread line, which mostly contain technical or maintenance threads.
If we didn't embrace change we would all be riding 4s, now how sad would that be.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On this page alone most of the posts are on a technical or maintenance issue. Eg Arrow mid pipe , Dyno results, Handle bars, bulge in tank etc etc.
So my point is that the Model section is used as a more general topic section. The Maintenance should be for the hard out questions on how to Maintain your 4 or 3 cylinder bike.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My two pence, there are very few MV bikes sold, they are spread very thinly across the world. It is not a chore to log in here and seek advice from the small band of posters who know how these bikes work and can offer well informed advice.

MV have basically three platforms, gen 1 F4 and gen 1 brutale, gen 2 F4 and gen 2 brutale, and the 3 cyl bikes. Problems and fixes tend to be generic. Yes you could have many sub sections but over complication is not the way to go. What "we" have works, just enjoy it.

jimboF4

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jimbo, I agree in much of what you say. Where I feel it doesn't work is how confusion lies in what a thread encompasses. I don't want to waste time looking through all the varied sections in search of a topic that I can't work out where it might be nor do I want to see people harangued for allegedly posting under the wrong section/sub-section. The search engine here is often very inefficient.
Please let me simplify my point with this example if moderators are going to be pedantic about topics.
" hello forum how do I change my oil on my MV B3" this is a Maintenance question.
" hello forum what type of oil does my MV B3 use" this is a technical question.
" hello forum anyone notice their B3 oil is black after a short period of use" this is an observation on a specific model.
" hello forum does anyone else use their motor oil as hair cream" best to see this under General Talk for simpletons.
So really being pedantic and inconsistent doesn't really get us anywhere. I think it would simplify things if there was a "Model" section & a "Maintenance" section as a great proportion of posts in the Model part are of a technical nature. If the Maintenance section was 3 & 4 cylinder specific even better as they share very little.
Anyone can take a quick glance at any of of the Model threads and you see a high proportion of the posts could be classified as Technical questions/comments.
It seems ironic how the users of this forum buy bikes from an innovative and forward thinking company that seem to strive to better their past efforts, embracing the new to enhance their product.
My opinion anyway, and as we all know opinions are like farts, we all have them and most of them stink.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
A lot of questions posters ask could be easily answered if only folks did read the owners hand book, or as my instructors used to tell me RTFM, read the f__ging manual.

Donsy does provide a great resource in hosting most of the manuals curretly available, I for one have downloaded many of them and they are really a great resource. Where questions should be listed and where they get moved to is always going to be subjective, but as said before, MV info is all on this one small forum and be thankful it exists, it is free, and is visited and contributed by a small passionate band of posters.
jimboF4

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
You don't seem to get it mate, mid-pipe in the B4 is unique, so is their plastic tanks, at least till recently, they don't share handlebars with other models and we often let things go even if they might be more applicable in say the performance section etc.
It's when things are common to almost every other bike on the forum, that things get relocated, if everybody took a bit more responsibility for what they do, specially longer time members, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I still don't know how you think your oil would be any different to any of the other bikes on the forum in general wear and tear, or most modern bikes for that matter, but here's a suggestion I've given many a times.
Post your question in the appropriate section, with your bike model as a heading - btw, oil colour and wear is a Maintenance and Technical issue and is not B3 only related.
So "My B3 oil is black after 6k, anybody else have/make the same observations?" - Just a thought.

Things like asking questions on rear wheel nut torque, bike stands, polish and oil ....... Do you really want all these questions asked in every section on the forum?
Trying a bit of a search would do miracles for some .....

Just take at where we are having this conversation at the moment, yet this has been discussed very recently in the appropriate section towards the top of the forum when we started a whole new group of section, and yet I have to go throughout it again. Have you tried reading about this topic before posting this thread ?

Here's one example aiki - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93473
The systems not perfect, but we try and if everybody did their bit, it will help everybody.

I'm sorry if you feel you're wasting your time having to look for things or topics in places other than where you think they should be, lucky we have all the time in the world to try and please everybody else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts