MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just joined try try and get some advice from people that know. I need an F4! but which one? First thing it must have the round tail pipes, I am thinking 312 but R or RR. I dont need ultimate speed just the one that is the nicest to ride, it wont be used on the track but may go on long trips
Any advice out there?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Welcome, Odd that you mention round tail pipes as being the one feature you desire, you can get round tail pipe conversions for any of the later 2010 onwards F4's.

If you prefer the 1st Gen F4 model the best advice I can think of is seek out a bike that has been well maintained and has had an owner who took a keen interest in improving the bike with some choice add on's. I don't mean just cosmetic stuff but the mechanical stuff as well.

Not sure where you are on this planet but knowing your location would help. Also what is your budget.

jimboF4

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you´re not looking for ultimate speed and want to travel, the F4 range might be out of the context as what you get from it in confort and practicality. You should rethink your priorities. If you fancy the new triple exaust F3 range too, such as in the MV Brutale and MV Turismo Veloce, the choices will be far more interesting. The F4 is essencially a track bike.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Agreed on the F4 not being great for long trips. In Chicago I needed to ride (drone along freeways) for hours to even get to roads that bend. Torture. It's the best thing once roads get curvy, but the long trips are not fun. Brutale maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all useful advice. My long trips would be nice curvy roads in France of Spain, places where the roads actually have tarmac unlike where I am in the UK where they are just a minefield of pot holes. I am close to Wales though and they are not bad there. Are the 2nd gen bikes tamer?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi, are second generation bikes tamer? Don't think MV do tame bikes, not in their nature, MV definitely lean towards high performance. As for using an MV for touring I have done it, they cope well and if you throw in some twisty stuff they come up trumps. As your based in Wales maybe get yourself along to an MV dealer, most have a test bike on the fleet, used 1st gen and 2nd gen F4's seem to be in short supply, they never have been a lot of them around.

jimboF4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, yes long twisty roads is what I like. Best get a couple of test rides I think. I cant just say I wont have the most stunning bike in the world as it may be too fast, I love fast bikes I am just not good enough to use them to their full potential but at least I admit it! A nice day and a blast out through Wales or a few days round the Alps is right up my street but perhaps at 100 not 150.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
TBH I doubt that very many F4 owners can extract anywhere near the bikes full potential on the road, the bike can certainly flatter a lot of riders because it is so well set up. Maybe factor in a few trackday lessons, Llandow, Pembrey Anglsey, you are spoilt for choice. That will help on the confidence level and allow you to explore the bikes more dynamic traits in a blue light free environment.

jimboF4

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
TBH, there is not a huge difference between a F4 1000R, a 312R or a 312RR. they all offer a lot of go, maybe too much, all so easy to find yourself flying well into 3 figures and that gets the wrong sort of attention. As said before, not a huge number around, and if a certain colour is your goal maybe a task tracking one down.

If you do get around to some MV dealers do look closely at the F3, it might not have the the four pipe back end but they sure are a very pretty bike and may sway you with a test ride. Available in 675 and 800 versions it is a serious bit of kit.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The F4, any model from 98 to 10, is truly loving to go fast.
As faster You go the more they shine.
Sure You can drive trough crowded cities or high alpine mountains, crawl around at 35mph, all that they can do.
I rode my F4 for years on day long tours, I was in the alps for weeks with my F4.
But the greatest fun is if you have some fast flowing twists where You can exceed 70, 80, 90, 100+mph without having to fear that the cops are harassing you.
And naturally the F4 is in love with stretching her legs on a race track.
But be aware that a day long, sun raise to set, trip with an F4 is physically exhausting.
Especially if You have to go slower and are a thousand times braking for downhill turns.
Or being backed up behind harley's, caravans, trucks and all kinds of four wheeled cages.
Riding my Brutale is way less physically demanding and I return home way more relaxed.
But the feeling being on the F4 is unparalleled and worth some sore muscles, believe me.
Now I'm talking about a 750, but I rode the 1000s, the 312R, the 312RR or the modern F4 on different occasions.
So I would say the displacement shouldn't be a factor, get the one You fall in love with.
They are all awesome.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yeah, I would go more for the F3 instead of the F4, due to easiness that the first has over the second one. And they´re beautiful too. If you insist in the F4, you´ll certainly see yourself in a near future trying a track day. Which is an awesome experience, and will help you dealing with all that power with more control. Twisty roads with tight corners aren´t easy to do with the F4, requires a lot of physical work and concentration, due to the stiffness of the frame and the geometry of the bike, the F3 will deal with those corners much easily. So try an F3 AND an F4, if possible, and don´t just go straight on the test, try to corner with both and you´ll see the difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went from a litre bike (an S1000RR, so not an F4, but in performance terms, much of a muchness) to an F3 and it's the best thing I have done for road riding. With the S1k, I was always knocking it off to avoid jail time. There was the odd couple of seconds here and there where you felt like you were really using it on the road, otherwise, it was an exercise in either frustration or paranoia. Even my closest track (Knockhill) was really too small to stretch its legs.

With a newborn son in my life now, my chances of Euro trackdays are out of the window for a few years, so my biking is exclusively road based. With the 675 F3, you always feel involved. You can stand wringing it out a little without hitting 140 on every straight (although believe me, it's still quick in the real world) and the lack of inertia turning into corners - even compared to the S1K which feels like a 600, apart from the power - always impresses.

But I'd wholeheartedly agree about getting all the test rides you can to make your own mind up too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts