MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Champion filters on my Brutale but yesterday decided to buy a Mobil 1.....how the hell do you put it on there? It doesn't seem to clear the headers. I read Altoon put it on his 1000 and it fit fine, but whose put it on thier Brutale?

Reason it's so hard to fit is it's deeper/longer. More filter element, but jesus...I can't get it on for anything...is there a trick to it? I know the Champion ones take a little finagling to get in there...do i really have to take off the header to get the Mobil filter on there???

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after finagling it for an hour...I've found that you CAN'T use a Mobil M1-110 filter on a Brutale S (Maybe for the 910 as the clearances are a little different???)...you're stuck to using the shorty ones...so off to the auto store to pick up a "regular" filter....crap.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran all the way to the auto store on my BICYCLE, about 3 miles away in 90 degree weather, to find out that a PureOne Purolator oil filter WILL NOT WORK EITHER!!! :cussing: It has the same dimensions as the Mobil M1-110. It's taller than the other ones. My jack-ass didn't look to make sure, as I thought the Mobil1 was the only filter longer... So, looks like you can only put on "non-premium" filters on the bike, or $$$ OEM...greeeeaaaaaat.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no question as to "what fits" rather, which model. Damn autostores around here don't have the K&N. I don't remember the part # exactly, something like 1004....all the shops around here go from like 1002 to 1005...bullocks.

I've noticed the "permium" lines of the filters that fit, are longer, and there for, don't work. But thier "cheaper" line, is physically a shorter filter, and fits. Example, Purolator regular oil filter part # L14610 (I think that's right...off the top of my head) fits fine, but the Purolator 'PureOne premium filter'part # PL14610 is a longer filter, doesn't work. Longer (more, not necessarily better) filter element makesit premium I guess....oh well. That's fine by me, I save like $4 an oil change :laughing:

·
Registered
281 Posts
fazer6 said:
Use K&N for Yammy R6, fits like stock, easy to find, and has a drilled nut for removing and safety-wiring!
I am having a bear of a time identifying which oil filte will work on my 06 910R. Fazer6, are you using the KN-303 or KN-303C?

Thanks,
SteveC

·
Registered
822 Posts
Are you shure its a good idea to use a different filter than OEM? The "premium" filters often filter down to smaller size particles, but will actually change the oil pressure on some bikes. My example, if you use the later "premium" filter that is equipped on late model twin cam harleys on Evo harley's, the oil sysstem will build so much pressure that your oil cap my blast out of the bike like a rocket, I have seen it happen, but dont know if its an issure here or not.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ I've never heard of that.....

I'm sure that'd be intresting as hell to watch though.

"How'd you do that?"
"I bought a non-OEM oil filter..."

:laughing:

·
Registered
822 Posts
oicdn said:
^^ I've never heard of that.....

I'm sure that'd be intresting as hell to watch though.

"How'd you do that?"
"I bought a non-OEM oil filter..."

:laughing:
Thats the easy way out, I have also seen it cause base and rocker cover gaskets to leak prematurely also. The "premium" oil filters will filter out more impurites, which means a more dense media has to be used in the filter, which in turn will raise oil pressure becuase it has to essentially be forced through. I can only assume that no one has encountered this problem with this bike as the other filters dont fit it anyway.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i've been running the M1 on my F4 1k for 3k miles now - two VERY hard track days and LOTS of hard running and the motor is running great.

someguy - i'm having some trouble with your harley scenario. most oil filters, if not all of them, have a pressure relief valve, or bypass valve. the bypass acts to route oil around the filter element if the pressure drop across it is too great. this can happen during cold start, when oil viscosity is very high, or if the filter is clogged.

so, your telling us that the filter bypass valve pressure was so high that it blew off the oil cap?

you may have seen the oil cap blow off a bike. but i don't think it was an aftermarket oil filter that caused that to happen.

what do you mean by oil cap? is that the oil FILL cap?

if the fill cap blew off, maybe the crankcase was pressurized? that can happen if the breather is clogged.

btw, the bypass valve pressure for the M1 is 14psi, and it has an anti-drain back valve.

nate - try the M1-108. it fits the same as the M1-110, but is shorter (2.5" vs 3.5")

alex

·
Registered
822 Posts
altoon said:
i've been running the M1 on my F4 1k for 3k miles now - two VERY hard track days and LOTS of hard running and the motor is running great.

someguy - i'm having some trouble with your harley scenario. most oil filters, if not all of them, have a pressure relief valve, or bypass valve. the bypass acts to route oil around the filter element if the pressure drop across it is too great. this can happen during cold start, when oil viscosity is very high, or if the filter is clogged.

so, your telling us that the filter bypass valve pressure was so high that it blew off the oil cap?

you may have seen the oil cap blow off a bike. but i don't think it was an aftermarket oil filter that caused that to happen.

if the fill cap blew off, maybe the crankcase was pressurized? that can happen if the breather is clogged.

btw, the bypass valve pressure for the M1 is 14psi, and it has an anti-drain back valve.

nate - try the M1-108. it fits the same as the M1-110, but is shorter (2.5" vs 3.5")

alex
Well, I have seen it, and have solved the problem by swapping the oil filter. I have worked at the dealer level off and on for 13 years, and you are correct, crank case pressure can cause all sorts of deamons, but incorrect oil filters can do the same.

You dont have to believe me but the Harley Davidson Motor Company sent out a technical bulletin and changed the part's listing as a result of this problem. And yes, I am refering to the oil fill cap.

I did forget to mention somthing very important that you brought up, the bypass valve that is in the filter. That is another concern in swapping oil filters, do the valve pressure's coincide with oem, because if they dont you may have unforseen problems in the future by over stressing the oil pump.

Once again, this is from my experience with a totally different line of motorcycle, but its a line where people tend to take chances that commonly blow up (or off) in thier face. Its not a hypothetical situation, I have seen it happen.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
altoon said:

alex
I'm gonna go after that filter this upcoming oil change. I'm eager to see how it works out...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Are those of you with alternative oil filters willing to do some work for a FAq entry? We already have the OEM info and Champion F306.

I think it should entail cutting up your various filters, measure with scale the opening weight for the pressure relief valve, clearly display the contents of each filter and make filter measurements?

We can then come up with a quality as well as some quantitative data to reference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts