Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on design and user experience, which hub would you recommend
As i'm living in Belgium, Design Corse would probably be the easiest to purchase.

·
Administrator
19,553 Posts
You will be getting a lot a varying opinions with this question. There are strong supporters of Mitchy's hub and those who never had problems with the original. Design Corse is very new, so no much track record.

Pros and Cons to all options. Mitchy's is very strong and also weighs a bit more. Design Corse looks to be lighter but may still be susceptible in certain areas where the OEM is weak.

Me? I have not needed to replace the OEM hub on my bikes.....yet. I do, however, service them properly and use proper tools, torque settings and chain tension.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hub Hub Hub

You will be getting a lot a varying opinions with this question. There are strong supporters of Mitchy's hub and those who never had problems with the original. Design Corse is very new, so no much track record.

Pros and Cons to all options. Mitchy's is very strong and also weighs a bit more. Design Corse looks to be lighter but may still be susceptible in certain areas where the OEM is weak.

Me? I have not needed to replace the OEM hub on my bikes.....yet. I do, however, service them properly and use proper tools, torque settings and chain tension.

Yes,as Ed says there will be all manner of opinions guys. I guess in the final analysis it is the riders who have had a hub between their butt and the road for the last few years that will have the most constructive input here.

So lets hear from them !

Opining about how nice these things are is just irrelevant..They are both "nice"

Probably fair to say that the Mitchy hub is a proven product out on the road...with hundreds of thousands of miles of proven track record. The four rows of Heavy Duty ball bearings on the wheel side see to that.

It is all about putting a Super Strong Bullet proof bearing arrangement between the rider and the road. Mitchy and his engineer have done this with distinction. The Solid Billet aluminium construction ensures there is no possibility of external forces crushing the bearings.

That is why it has a 100% successful track record. It is "All about the Bearings" boys :)

I can't see anything wrong with the DC Hub..It is nice and I am sure it will prove itself in time.

They are what they are. Pay your money and take your choice.

The Mitchy Hubs are here in the UK for same day despatch to UK and Europe.

Joe

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The main problem with the stock hubs is the bearing arrangement on the right side of the bike. They are just too damn small. Noel has documented in painful detail why, offering evidence that the bearing was actually designed for a small electric motor. But it's the only one that will fit unless you completely redesign the hub the way Mitchy has. Mitchy's hub uses FOB bearings. His hub is heavier than Al's hub and that may be a consideration for some. I'm not convinced yet that two rows of smaller bearings is going to be better. We'll know for sure when some of the DC hubs have more miles on them.

I'm with Ed. I've never had to replace a hub or it's bearings on any of my bikes. Even the Veltrat which has hundreds of track miles on it.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I will just give you the advice I gave before: either way, it's a good and improved choice. So it will be base on preferences :)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Just to stirr it up.
My f4v 750 hub held 36000km, in my brut i had to replace twice, first after 11000km, probably due being it a demo bike and its abuse by journalists. second surprised me at 25000km of my own maintenance.
So my solution is some bearings on stock and a full replaceble Mg hub (lightest of all), for not having to wait for others to get parts. So last time it was swapped within hours after it broke.
Only calculate what is the chance to get stranded

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my rear hub is not running hot at all for the moment and i see no metallic flakes anywhere, so going on what I read on the forum here that should be a sign that for the moment my hub is in healthy order right?

I did plan on doing hub maintenance during summer or after this season, which would mean I could also simply replace the complete hub and be done with it forever.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have 3600 miles on my F4.
Just checked the rear hub and repacked bearings.
No Issues...yet.
Not impressed with the factory bearing set up, I am an aircraft tech by trade and hold several ASE certs.
I will be ordering a replacement hub soon as insurance.
Which one you may buy is up to you.

Ed:)

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I have 3600 miles on my F4.
Just checked the rear hub and repacked bearings.
No Issues...yet.
Ed:)
That things still brand new man. Which "bearings" did you repack Ed, only the needle bearing is service-able?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Well, my rear hub is not running hot at all for the moment and i see no metallic flakes anywhere, so going on what I read on the forum here that should be a sign that for the moment my hub is in healthy order right?

I did plan on doing hub maintenance during summer or after this season, which would mean I could also simply replace the complete hub and be done with it forever.
Not right as far as I am concerned; then it is really too late.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Needle bearing it was Donsy!
Between the weather and work, miles come a little slow, but...1500 were last fall in 4.5 days! that was a great ride!
I am leaning towards a Mitchy hub. Moving excess antique jeep parts to fund!

ed :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Erik's right, if you see metal, it's too late.
i did read multiple times that as long as your hub is warm, but not hot, after driving for some time the bearings should be ok

i do understand that if metal is found it's busted, but the heat from excess friction is a correct thing to base yourself on ?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Prices?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Design Corse is very new, so no much track record.
I'm not convinced yet that two rows of smaller bearings is going to be better. We'll know for sure when some of the DC hubs have more miles on them.

I'm with Ed.
Probably fair to say that the Mitchy hub is a proven product out on the road...with hundreds of thousands of miles of proven track record.

I can't see anything wrong with the DC Hub..It is nice and I am sure it will prove itself in time.

They are what they are. Pay your money and take your choice.

Joe
It may be of interest to any concerned that 'before' Design corse released their hubs ..
Al informed me that two race teams had been testing the hub prototypes for ........8 months!
I'd say that'd put a few miles on them..by way of feedback?!
Just thought I'd add a little perspective:)
Brian.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
i did read multiple times that as long as your hub is warm, but not hot, after driving for some time the bearings should be ok

i do understand that if metal is found it's busted, but the heat from excess friction is a correct thing to base yourself on ?
That is a good one. I am curious about this knowledge and you might be right about this. What is then hot and what is warm?? And how do you measure that, and where exactly.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.