MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I was washing my Brutie and while degreasing an unusual amount of chain grease off my swing arm I thought, "Man, they should really have a guard to cover this!" Wait a minute...there WAS a guard to cover this! :jsm:

I know it was there before because a previous thread about it being a touch to short had me checking it out not long ago.
What a :nutkick:

Not sure if it worked its way off (did hear an metalic ping the other day riding, thought it was a rock off the rad guard) or if someone filched it while parked at work (seems unlikely due to low demand in area).

Sucks either way, but begins my slide into aftermarket poverty with a Design Corse carbon fire replacement (...and a few other items to make it worth shipping :naughty:). By any chance does anyone know if this comes with the hardware or will I need to source replacement fasteners?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was definitely thinking loctite. Thanks for the info on the fasteners, looked like only the top and front missing bolts, but thre must have been a third I missed, will have to look again.

Me thinks "common problems" should be "manufacturer mitigated" after a few years, ha. Oh well, I love my brut with all it's quirks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, looks like two rubber plugs (for vibration?), one pin to hold the front steady, and the top bolt to hold it on.

Wondering if I should just thread the swing arm hole and put a second bolt in instead of the front pin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
76 Posts
The new 2013 models have a redesigned upper chain guard, from what I saw at the Manchester Bike Show.

Basically, the front mount, where there's just a plastic peg going into a rubber hole has been replaced with another screw. So now there's 2 screws to hold it in place. Mine was always popping out at the front, so I modified the original by grinding off the plastic peg, drilling a hole through the resulting flat piece and then putting a bolt through.

Pics to follow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Busy day last (rainy) Monday: installed the Arrow collectors and mid pipe (de-cat), plus several pieces of CF on my 2010 Brutale 990. The stock radiator guard fasteners were so loose I took them out with my bare fingers. Several other fasteners were barely snug. Best to give everything on your machine a going over, use locktite, etc. where you can.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
missing pieces?

I remember someone losing a very nice lower carbon cover.
Yes indeed Andrew.
This one was jettisoned at Little Tally then run over by our man Randy.

:brutale:
yes, guys and David autographed it for me.......its hanging with a piece of Kyle's Father's Ducati that he so gracefully cartwheeled down the aforementioned Randy's driveway :stickpoke:stickpoke:stickpoke:stickpoke

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Busy day last (rainy) Monday: installed the Arrow collectors and mid pipe (de-cat), plus several pieces of CF on my 2010 Brutale 990. The stock radiator guard fasteners were so loose I took them out with my bare fingers. Several other fasteners were barely snug. Best to give everything on your machine a going over, use locktite, etc. where you can.
When I took delivery of Gina the salesman advised me to occasionally check all the small fasteners on the radiator covers and other bits with well nuts as they were known to loosen up and go missing.

He was correct in that I had to snug them down a couple of times over the first few thousand miles. Now they stay tight.

Word of caution using thread lock on well nuts....you may regret that decision later on. Just sayin'.......:smoking:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Word of caution using thread lock on well nuts....you may regret that decision later on. Just sayin'......."

I was thinking maybe lock washers since they're always removable and I've had bad luck in the past of using the wrong type of loctite, might as well have been nail polish. I'll definitely give the others a once over to make sure they're one there good and tight.

Darkcider - Did you happen to tap the swing arm for that screw or can you get behind for a nut and bolt combo?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Darkcider - Did you happen to tap the swing arm for that screw or can you get behind for a nut and bolt combo?
No, I simply replaced the plastic insert with a well nut. Holds really well and it's what MV should have put on in the first place really!

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
You can't get in the back Reckler, just break of the little tab that come's on the guard, drill a little hole in it's place, big enough for the screw you need to go into a wellnut.
The existing hole is too big to tap, you might end up with a 8mm screw in there.
You can put a little loctite on the second screw which goes directly into the swing-arm, but not on anything which screw's into a wellnut.

As a side note, I replaced all the rubber wellnuts on my swing-arm with metal rivnuts (crimped into place), this takes a bit more effort but nothing goes missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lost mine at 59mi...

Pictures below. Did not hear a thing. MV was kind enough to provide me with a replacement rear wheel, chain guard and associated mounting bits. I keep a allen key by the bike and give the bolt on the swingarm a tweak before each ride just ro be sure. I'd love to find a source for the gray paint on the swing arm...

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Problem is...

This is a photo I took of the redesigned top chain guard:

You can better see how to modify the existing guard now.
The pre 2013 guards dont have that cut out so that you can see the bolt. I wonder if the 2013 guard would fit prior years... Hmm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts