MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I just got "Motorcyclist" and the cover reads "Class of 09" and no mention of the new for 09 1078 RR. I guess you had to make a bigger change to the models to be mentioned in this article.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
They probably couldn't get one for the test or limited the test to bikes currently available which is why the KTM RC8, RSV4, and S1000RR weren't included.

On a side note, the Ducati v-twin's is just simply underpowered and outclassed again. :D

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I can't say I dislike Ducati, though I'm not what you would call a fan....

but looking at those graphs, and given Ducati's performance in WSBK, I can only ponder a couple of options...

- there is a lot more to those races than torque and hp (can't say rider now that haga has moved around and still does well)
- those graphs don't mean anything.

Another thought, is that for most people on the road, it is the first graph (torque), where the most fun is seen?

(these are really uneducated thoughts, just thinking out loud).

(oh, and bored, too)

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
yeah, i know!

one week left on my license suspension.... I can drive everywhere except Japan right now!

Just bought a playstation 3 today. Some folks had me pick up this SBK'09 game for them in the UK, so bought one for myself.... now i can try to play it....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most torque buy 10-14 ft lbs and smack dab in the middle of the horsepower hunt (they're not exactly getting killed now that they're enjoying that extra 200cc). I'm much more comfortable on an inline but I'd say the Duc is no slouch. Race bikes and production bikes are apples and oranges but apparently Larry Pegram's 1098 was just killing Matt Maladin's GSXR 1000 superbike down the straights at Road America last weekend.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
dont get me wrong I dont dislike ducati's just think that "everyone has one" and as like most people on this forum I would rather a MV, regardless of HP or torque. comes down to rider ability anyway.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Don't despair, MV made it into the Australian Masterbike test, and came in 3rd...there is thread on this somewhere. (It was a 312R not the 1078)

As for the Duke, the race bikes are still "special" allways have been.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
dont get me wrong I dont dislike ducati's just think that "everyone has one" and as like most people on this forum I would rather a MV, regardless of HP or torque. comes down to rider ability anyway.
A few weeks ago, I was in the position to choose between a 1198 or a seriously discounted 312R. After a lot of thought, I went with the 1198 because MV hasn't changed the design in 10 years, and after having 3 MVs over 8 years, and waiting for the "new" bike since 2005, the current design doesn't really excite me anymore. There's a saying, "no matter how beautiful a woman may be, there's someone tired of her." Just ask Hugh Grant. :)

In terms of exclusiveness, I've never really cared about that. But, if I put the "exclusive hat" on for a second, most MV's aren't exclusive anymore. Back in 2000 to 2004, you could go years without seeing an MV. Now, they're pretty common -especually when you can get a low mileage 2005/2006 F41000 for around $10,000 or a left over 2007 F4R for $15K, or a 2008 312R for $18K. And, if you really want exclusiveness, a $25K motorcycle isn't going to cut it. Bimota is the best bet.

As for the HP and torque, I never cared much for HP but the 1198 torque is very usable (more so than the Tricolore I use to have. At least with the 1198, I don't feel first gear is too tall). The 1198 is much lighter and easier to turn than the MV. So, on the tight canyons that use to get to and from work, I'm much faster on the 1198 than I was on the MV. BUT, the MV still makes that up in stabliity and front-end feedback which the 1198 (or 1098S) can't really match. Compared to the Japanese fours, once in the higher rpms, I think they'll have the advantage over the 1198 but in that case, shift up to a higher gear and you may be able to keep up until well into the triple digits (last 3 gears are taller than the 1098. At 70mph in 6th, I'm a little bit below 2,800 rpm and lugging).

In closing, the 1198 really surprised me since I didn't expect to like it much more than the Tricolore (which I sold only after 9 months). I originally got the 1198 as a "fill-in" until the new MV arrives but out of all the bikes I've ever owned (several Ducatis, MVs, R1s, and a few Kawasakis), it's one of my favorites (right next to my F41000S). But in closing, I'm hoping all my negatives against the MV will be moot by November when a new bike is introduced. And I'd love to have the 1198 and a new MV someday.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
You need to ride some Kiwi mountains lol:stickpoke
Hi quad...nice avatar.
I designed that Bee logo for Mrs B and Edu a long time ago !

Ed is yellow 900 on this forum[/quote]
I would love some more 'Bees' for the other Italians, that one is on the Tambo

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
A few weeks ago, I was in the position to choose between a 1198 or a seriously discounted 312R. After a lot of thought, I went with the 1198 because MV hasn't changed the design in 10 years, and after having 3 MVs over 8 years, and waiting for the "new" bike since 2005, the current design doesn't really excite me anymore. There's a saying, "no matter how beautiful a woman may be, there's someone tired of her." Just ask Hugh Grant. :)

In terms of exclusiveness, I've never really cared about that. But, if I put the "exclusive hat" on for a second, most MV's aren't exclusive anymore. Back in 2000 to 2004, you could go years without seeing an MV. Now, they're pretty common -especually when you can get a low mileage 2005/2006 F41000 for around $10,000 or a left over 2007 F4R for $15K, or a 2008 312R for $18K. And, if you really want exclusiveness, a $25K motorcycle isn't going to cut it. Bimota is the best bet.

As for the HP and torque, I never cared much for HP but the 1198 torque is very usable (more so than the Tricolore I use to have. At least with the 1198, I don't feel first gear is too tall). The 1198 is much lighter and easier to turn than the MV. So, on the tight canyons that use to get to and from work, I'm much faster on the 1198 than I was on the MV. BUT, the MV still makes that up in stabliity and front-end feedback which the 1198 (or 1098S) can't really match. Compared to the Japanese fours, once in the higher rpms, I think they'll have the advantage over the 1198 but in that case, shift up to a higher gear and you may be able to keep up until well into the triple digits (last 3 gears are taller than the 1098. At 70mph in 6th, I'm a little bit below 2,800 rpm and lugging).

In closing, the 1198 really surprised me since I didn't expect to like it much more than the Tricolore (which I sold only after 9 months). I originally got the 1198 as a "fill-in" until the new MV arrives but out of all the bikes I've ever owned (several Ducatis, MVs, R1s, and a few Kawasakis), it's one of my favorites (right next to my F41000S). But in closing, I'm hoping all my negatives against the MV will be moot by November when a new bike is introduced. And I'd love to have the 1198 and a new MV someday.

I went to a trackday in January '08...there where were 12 1098/848's........and one MV
I went to a trackday last week..........there were 8 1198/1098/848's..........and one MV
My bike is still exclusive enough for me, not that it was purchased for that reason.

Im suprized you bought an 1198 after just selling a 1098 Tricolor.
I'm also surpized the F4 shape doesn't excite you any more....it's still a better looking motorcycle than the 1198...

I've ridden an 848, a 1098s and the new 1198s...............I would have got the 312 :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
But isn't having more of your brand at a track day actually a good thing?

It's strange but the Tricolore and I just didn't click. As for the 312, I really gave it A LOT of thought but I just didn't see much befenit for me over my F4S (except for the ligther wheels and updated radiator) ;) .

·
Registered
104 Posts
But isn't having more of your brand at a track day actually a good thing?

It's strange but the Tricolore and I just didn't click. As for the 312, I really gave it A LOT of thought but I just didn't see much befenit for me over my F4S (except for the ligther wheels and updated radiator) ;) .
+1 I would hope that you would have a much greater Ducati vs. MV presence at the track--because that would mean the millions that Ducati spends in WSBK and MotoGP is actually paying off with it's customer base. Ducati and racing have always been synonymous with one another. It would make sense that this would trickle down to track day riders as well........

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
+1 I would hope that you would have a much greater Ducati vs. MV presence at the track--because that would mean the millions that Ducati spends in WSBK and MotoGP is actually paying off with it's customer base. Ducati and racing have always been synonymous with one another. It would make sense that this would trickle down to track day riders as well........
Oh for sure....they are so popular now. Ducati are a fantastic success story bringing Italian style and racing technology to the masses...
Of the newer breed of bikes, there were more Dukes at the track than any other brand.
The 848/1098/1198 is actually "common" these days.
Sheer volumes of each bike sold in Australia would determine than Ducati are going to outnumber MV at trackdays at east 6-1 everytime

I think if people expect MV to compete with Ducati on volume, new model releases etc etc, we'll always be dissapointed...Ducati are a wonderful template for a successful business if indeed MV want to expand...
For me, MV would have to race successfully to even begin to match Ducati

MV is a much smaller specialized manufacturer that really should be compared to the likes of Bimota and Benelli...Although the F4 gets put up against the 1198, the two companies are in 2 different leaugues...

I see Honda, Yamaha and Aprilia as more direct competitors to Ducati.
I see the 1198 as a massed produced superbike these days, that just happens to be built in Italy.
Still a great bike though..maybe one day for me:)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
For me, MV would have to race successfully to even begin to match Ducati. MV is a much smaller specialized manufacturer that really should be compared to the likes of Bimota and Benelli...
I agree. I think HD's stake in MV has me wondering more about the new models than previous years. I'm wondering if MV/HD is going to follow the route Ducati took with the 1098 and make the next MV cheaper to produce, cheaper to buy, and in more numbers. I think they will because it's hard to be a low volume brand and be profitable (unless your Ferrari) and with HD pushing for profit and an ROI......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a fan of the 1198 no doubt. I will have one next to my GSXR & MV as soon as I put the 2010 Shelby GT500 in the garage!

However, it looks pretty lame in this shootout. With all that HP & Tqe, the 1198 simply got spanked. It goes to show you how much tweeking they do to the race version....same goes for the R1. Honda and Suzuki still make very user friendly bikes with a bunch of power. Its nice to have all of them in the garage!

As for looks...If you can marry a tight 20 year old smokin hot Super Model that never literally ages, looks exactly the same for 10 yrs with an even stronger firmer body, wouldn't that be incredible? Welcome to the MV F4. :mouthwate

Quickest Lap Times:
CBR1000RR...1:56.09
GSXR 1000...1:56.02
ZX-10 Kawi...1:56.86
R1 Yami...1:57.58
Duc 1198...1:58.12

1 - 20 of 23 Posts