MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need a bit of help, my mirror glass cracked due to poor design of the housing and i have had no luck finding one here in the uk. The official importer 3X do not supply the mirror only, only the whole mirror unit at a cost of over £200!!!???? which is ridiculous :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: .
I have approached the usual channels such as emoto with no luck and tried the relevant breakers......next is to find a glass cutter nearby perhaps.

Before i go down that route i want to know if any of you guys and girls out there have a scratched up unit with a good glass for sale? :stickpoke
Hope you can help as my MOT is round the corner and it will fail without it....Cheers all. :yo:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JamesC said:
These guys manufacture and sell MV mirrors but doubt the glass seperately.
http://www.barrac.it/

What poor design of the housing? If it were a poor design it seems to me we would have heard of this before ;)
Thats great thanks for that, the basic design problem is in the plastic housing behind the mirror, there is a plastic square lug which has the screw threaded into it, on both my mirrors now the spring has torn the plastic lug from its housing and pushed the screw against the mirror glass from the back, luckily the left side just forced the glass away and i was able to fix but the right side actually split the glass in two. Its as if the spring is too strong for the plastic housing. I modified the spring by removing 2 coils and pit a bigger screw and washer through the assembly. My bike is a EVO3 2003 model so the design may have changed by now. I will try the above link cheers

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ste a said:
sure i have just seen a pair on ebay uk check it out
Thanks anyway but £190 for a mirror glass is a bit excessive, i will keep looking

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
EVO Chris said:
the basic design problem is
Very strange. I don't remember more than a couple of mirror complaints relative to a failure in any bike MY2000 to present. One of them was on here and complained of a plastic housing seam split IIRC. Do you try to adjust the mirror glass often or..what else could be causing your problem? In all these years with all the distance of bikes it seems we would have heard of this more often if it were design?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi James, no i have not adjusted them at all but they are on the maximum outwardly setting, maybe thats got someting to do with it, i must admit the spring wire diameter and compression rate is a little OTT for the housing and wonder if they were put in by mistake, but on both!!?? hmmm, i would say looking at the housing stress marks that its been going for a while. The fix seemed to have sorted them, just need the glass now for the right one now. The left one went last year and has been fine since then.
I have emailed the link above as i cant find a section on the site to purchase just the glass........i will keep you updated

·
Registered
21 Posts
try these

hi chris i needed just one mirror, after a long search got orriginals from /www.spareshack.com the cost was around £90 for the whole unit incuding wiring.hope this helps.they also stock loads of duc stuff for anyones whos interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts