MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the mirrors off my 2006 F41000 having to clean the contacts to get the indicators to work, no issue.
My problem is those stupid looking ferrule things that that push into the mirror mount that keep pulling out every time you tighten the bolts to secure the mirror to the fairing.
I've looked through a few posts and other than a suggestion to epoxy them in place ( not sure how this could be done easily without creating more problems ) there doesn't seem to be a real fix for this, in principle they seem like a good idea, however once the mirror has been removed it seems like this is an ongoing problem.
Has anyone here had the same issue and come up with a permanant way of fixing this.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Just don't thighten the bolts too much. That is the actual problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just don't thighten the bolts too much. That is the actual problem.
The problem is not the "overtightening" of the bolts as when the bolts start to take to take any sort of tension you can immediately feel the ferrules pulling out of place, it seems like the ferrules don't have the abilty to expand out sufficiently and "bite" into the plastic when the bolts are screwed in place which I assume is the way this was designed.
I'm sure there are others who would have encountered this......has anyone else come up with a solution ?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What about vibration in the mirrors, any suggestion to minimize it? After 220 km/h it starts and never stops until full speed.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
The problem is not the "overtightening" of the bolts as when the bolts start to take to take any sort of tension you can immediately feel the ferrules pulling out of place, it seems like the ferrules don't have the abilty to expand out sufficiently and "bite" into the plastic when the bolts are screwed in place which I assume is the way this was designed.
I'm sure there are others who would have encountered this......has anyone else come up with a solution ?
Well... Overthightening causes the pins that are supposed to be there to break off. Once gone it becomes a bit difficult but not impossible.

The only thing that you can do is find an alternative for the pins so it works again. The trick is to do that with headless bolts after you made thread into the metal parts. I hope I make myself a bit clear as I notice that it is quite difficult to find the right words ;)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
What about vibration in the mirrors, any suggestion to minimize it? After 220 km/h it starts and never stops until full speed.
Yup. Go less than 220. And once you go over 220: who the hell needs mirrors???

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... Overthightening causes the pins that are supposed to be there to break off. Once gone it becomes a bit difficult but not impossible.

The only thing that you can do is find an alternative for the pins so it works again. The trick is to do that with headless bolts after you made thread into the metal parts. I hope I make myself a bit clear as I notice that it is quite difficult to find the right words ;)
Hi Erik, I understand what you have tried to explain and that is pretty much what I was thinking, something like a helicoil arrangement where I can get a thread to "bite" into the plastic where the ferrule would normally be, I have got an engineer of mine looking at this now unless anyone else has done something like this before and can tell me what they ended up doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts