MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
This is my first post on here.
I have to say, it's been fun reading all of your stories.

So, my situation is this....
32yo. Male. Limited experience with riding.
I have about 1 years riding under my belt. I don't ride everyday. I pretty much drive my car in crappy weather etc. I ride just to unwind and relax.

I was originally looking at a Ducati Monster 696 as my next bike. But after seeing the Brutale, I just can't get it out of my mind. I just love the look of this bike.

So my question is.... Is this bike too much of a handful for a rider of my experience?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Mort

·
Registered
851 Posts
Obviously I don't know your level of ability - + You didn't say what you have been riding - but I would be seriously wary of taking on a Brutale just yet. If you meant a Monster 696 that sounds like a much better route to take for now and then take out the Brutale rather than have a Brutale take you out...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mort, what bike have you learned on?

Your temperament, natural skill, concentration, alertness, maturity - are all factors in answering your question. Everyone is different.

It is certainly possible for a rider to control a Brutale after a year of riding. But not all riders! If you are uncomfortable with the idea at this stage, you could get an intermediate bike for another year to get your skills up. Brutales are very fast and capable bikes, but the bike won't kill you - you will kill you :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mort78, I'll tell you what my DAS instructor has told me.
Any motorbike you buy today have too much of a handfull for you.
It all comes down to what you do with that power.
Self-control, composure, that's what you need.
The Brutale 750cc is my first bike and I don't regret my choice but you got to respect it and decide if you want to ride frantic or for a long time especially while you build up experience.

It is too much of a temptation to follow very experienced riders and follow them the same way while we don't have the experience.
Just remember that they won't be responsible for you nor your bike when and if you slide.

Note: I don't know where you are from so I explain. A DAS is a Direct Access Motorcycle training. It means you get 4 days training and then from nothing you can ride any CC bike.
That's a great course. Getting the driving licence is just the beginning though. Consider BikeSafe if you are in UK followed by RoSPA or IAM and track days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys....

Totale: Sorry for the mistake with regards to the monster. Yes I meant the 696. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Rents: As you you know, Australia came out with the Qride program a while back. I have basically only ridden the Honda CB400 and I have ridden the Suzuki GS500 for the last year. Very basic bikes I know.
I'm not a hoon, but I understand the urge to give it a squirt every now and then :) I might take Totale's advice and wait for another year. As they say, good things come to those who wait.

Thanks again,
Mort

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xeorex.... I was replying to the others when you were posting yours I think.

I fully understand what your saying. I just wanted to get some advice from people who rode them everyday. I don't want to fall into the trap of buying something so powerful or hard to ride that the joy of riding goes away.

I think the problem for me is, I only ride once or twice a fortnight. My car is my everyday travel. So I don't get out to practice everyday. I hope that makes sense.

Again, thanks for your advice. I'm going to do an advanced riders course soon, so I will have a chat with the instructor there also :)
Cheers,
Mort

·
Registered
382 Posts
I only ride once or twice a fortnight. My car is my everyday travel. So I don't get out to practice everyday
This makes a lot of sense.
Consider an F4 :naughty:
She would be like a very beautiful woman you can touch once a year (for birthday), yet never naked.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I tend to believe the most significant input in this equation is the people you ride with.

If you ride with people who push the limit and like to ride hard, then I fear the Brute may be too much for you. It is riding in these situation where a bike like the Brute will bring you unstuck - quickly.

On the other hand, if you ride alone mostly or with sensible and conservative 'mates' then the Brute is a great way to learn. I believe that if sensible, a bike like an MV Brutale has enough suspension, acceleration and brakes to save you in many situations.

This is my view and experience - the people you ride with are an important factor in determining how safe a super fast (not fast) bike will be for you.

·
Registered
867 Posts
hey luke i like your avatar!!

that said i agree with you completely, your in control and the brute will do exactly what you ask of it, once you have been riding it for a while then you can start to push a little and then you will find out what they can do and trust me its alot!! ride it for while and then it to the track where can you can really feel the power in a controled envoiroment.

James

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mort, what bike have you learned on?

Your temperament, natural skill, concentration, alertness, maturity - are all factors in answering your question. Everyone is different.

It is certainly possible for a rider to control a Brutale after a year of riding. But not all riders! If you are uncomfortable with the idea at this stage, you could get an intermediate bike for another year to get your skills up. Brutales are very fast and capable bikes, but the bike won't kill you - you will kill you :)
Well said, but remember, she's already naked and you don't have a condom.
:mouthwate

·
Registered
14 Posts
For my two cents worth I've been riding 5 years and my first bike was a 600rr. I have been on the MV for 2 months. I love it but I believe it deserves respect. My riding has changed dramatically in the last 2 months (for the better i might add) because I have to be smoother on the mv. I think the problem with having an mv as a first bike (and I'm assuming here you didn't grow up thrashing dirt bikes all over paddocks) is little mistakes that you always make when you are new are a little harder to correct on the mv. Something like a honda is very forgiving (it will still hurt you if you are ham fisted) but the mv is focused and needs attention.
In the first couple of years its all about confidence and I'd buy something that gives you that. That may be an mv once you've ridden one. After all I had the same worries about the rr when I first started to ride but a friend of mine that taught me to ride said to me "its not the bike that gets you into trouble its your right hand"

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
After all I had the same worries about the rr when I first started to ride but a friend of mine that taught me to ride said to me "its not the bike that gets you into trouble its your right hand"
+1

Keep in mind if you are a gumby or just not the type of person who naturally takes to riding a bike, be super duper careful!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd say go for it I have only been riding 3 years and in that time I have gone through a CBR600RR, GSXR 750, KTM 990 Superduke and have not long got my 1090RR.

I am a great believer in self control when out on a bike, it's the bigger man that rolls off the throtle when it's getting to hot for his own abilitys.:brutale:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you like the bike, buy it.
Treat it with respect and you'll be fine.
Disrespect it and it'll come back at you with a vengeance.
It's a beautiful, fiery Italian lass after all.
Nothing but commonsense.

Looking forward to your pix and ride reports.

Cheers.

m

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi all,
This is my first post on here.
I have to say, it's been fun reading all of your stories.

So, my situation is this....
32yo. Male. Limited experience with riding.
I have about 1 years riding under my belt. I don't ride everyday. I pretty much drive my car in crappy weather etc. I ride just to unwind and relax.

I was originally looking at a Ducati Monster 696 as my next bike. But after seeing the Brutale, I just can't get it out of my mind. I just love the look of this bike.

So my question is.... Is this bike too much of a handful for a rider of my experience?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Mort
test ride a bunch of bikes, you will know which it too much and which is not enough.
I ride with a friend who has a 695, my wife rides a 620 Monster, I test rode the 1100, and Brutale 750, inline fours make power in a way I like. I like them all, but love my 910. Test ride them all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I tend to believe the most significant input in this equation is the people you ride with.

If you ride with people who push the limit and like to ride hard, then I fear the Brute may be too much for you. It is riding in these situation where a bike like the Brute will bring you unstuck - quickly.

On the other hand, if you ride alone mostly or with sensible and conservative 'mates' then the Brute is a great way to learn. I believe that if sensible, a bike like an MV Brutale has enough suspension, acceleration and brakes to save you in many situations.

This is my view and experience - the people you ride with are an important factor in determining how safe a super fast (not fast) bike will be for you.
I agree with the above...and who better to ride with than professionals who can help you understand what you may be doing incorrectly...

Training, training, and more training...every time I've done training I've learnt something new...

http://www.advancedridertraining.com.au/index.htm

Do the above, then get the bike! :mouthwate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys and Gals,
Thank you all very much for your input. It's been greatly appreciated.
I understand what your all saying. I think I will take a piece of information from you all and come to a conclusion. As Mz3boy said, it won't hurt to take several bikes for a ride and see for myself.

The advanced riders course is a great idea too. Cheers.

Again. Thank you all for your advice. Safe riding.
Cheers,
Mort

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don´t know if it´s a good piece of advice but Brutale 910S is my first bike!!!

It doesn´t matter if you ride a Brutale or a 250cc bike, you only have to be responsible for what you do.

And I agree with the guys when they say that it also depends on the guys you ride with.

Best regards,

Rapha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts