MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been looking through the registry and people's posts around here, and I'm left thinking that there are very few people who actually ride their bikes often. The registry might just never be updated, but there are a lot of bikes with less than 1000 miles.

I bought my bike a month or two ago with 12,000 miles on it, and I've already put 2000 more on it. And this is in NYC, where I can't really use it as a daily commuter. The point is, I'm pretty sure this bike is reliable, or it wouldn't have gotten this far.

So what happens to bikes that people buy as an objet d'art and put 1000 miles on over the course of 5 years? Are these bikes ever broken in properly? If you buy an "Art piece", will it be more prone to have problems since it never was really broken in?

Anyway, I'm going to Paris for three weeks on Sunday so my season is over at 2K miles. The bike is already in the garage.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
psperl said:
So what happens to bikes that people buy as an objet d'art and put 1000 miles on over the course of 5 years? Are these bikes ever broken in properly? If you buy an "Art piece", will it be more prone to have problems since it never was really broken in?
I've always wondered this with Ducs. For some reason, everyone that I know who rides their Duc hard has fewer problems than those who hardly ride their bikes.

My Duc has been thrashed on the track, beaten on the dyno, and I once ran a trackday with less than a quart of oil in the cases. Still, I've never had 1 mechanical issue. Nor an electrical gremlin that required me to put the bike in the shop.

So I would say yes. Healthy bikes are bikes that are ridden hard and serviced at the proper intervals.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else but I've put about 2300 miles on my F4 since buying it in February this year. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turbo329 said:
and I once ran a trackday with less than a quart of oil in the cases.

WOW!!!!! I don't even know what to say about that. I blew up a porsche engine once because I was half a quart low!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
style_one said:
early 911 motor huh?
I wish. It was a 924 Turbo that I bought for $1800 while I was in high school and nursed through 5 years of driving. The turbo started burning oil in the third year which caused the engine to drop a valve seat. I didn't think these things were related, but the mechanic said the extra heat and friction can cause a valve seat to drop. Lucky for me, my company paid for a new engine since I told them I was forced to quit and they couldn't find a replacement for me who would accept a high-school wage.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I use my bike almost every day to commute to work - nice canyon roads.

But I'll confess, I'm a bit reluctant to drive it to Phoenix next week and rack up 1,000 miles driving through (yawn) desert. I mean, that's like a waste of tires.

PS: I have no seasons. It's all year riding here. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
9 motorcycles...Mileage gets spread out, they are all riders including the Tambo which just turned one year old with 2,500 miles on it. I ride all year long here in So Cal, both days every weekend and I commute two or three times per month. The freeways of LA are deathtraps during rush hour, not the best time to ride.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
166 Posts
In 6 months I did:
> 6000kms on my F4.
> 5200kms on my Brutale S.
Even if I would like to ride more I can't. I need to use my car sometimes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bought it first week of July and putted 9000km (5500Miles) on since then.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I passed the 1,800 mile mark yesterday and I bought the bike new in July. Just not riding it that much because of the weather in Houston this summer.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I took a look at the registry and yes, most of us don't update the mileage. Mine says 20 miles -which was the drive home from the dealership.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts