MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Just a quick thanks to all on this forum that helped me when restoring my 350B.

We (me and the bike) completed the epic Milan - Taranto rally last week without a hitch and did well in the class. It was a marathon.

Some pics as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well done, mate!

Could you write a full story about it? Many on here will appreciate that.

Not a lot of Australians can say they took their old MV to the other side of the world to participate in a 2000km event. I take my hat off, Sir.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
My heavens - that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful, the little fortified township on the out crop, the old bridge - omg :mouthwate

I know safety comes first, but I would go with a period open face helmet & goggles & black leathers ;) Too much? ok...heck just get over there, wow that is.........WOW.

Please if you can, keep this thread going as oepie above said - I am certainly one of the 'many' who would appreciate it. :yo:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, thansk all for the comments.

I have a blog on the trip. www.milan-taranto.com Its a bit light on at the moment with regards to content, after a long day riding it was just another thing to do I'm afraid but there are more pics.

With regards to open face helmets - you are right - I was one of the few wearing full face but after I saw the face and head injuries of some of the competitors from the various offs I was sure I made the right decision (despite not falling off myself). I took period leathers but it was so hot and humid there I never put them on, again, all the old boys doing the race wore leathers - I guess I'm to soft.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congratulations!

A really great performance, truly enviable.

It's nice to see that there are MV lovers, which are not only polishing and collect rare bikes but also drive them, for what they are made.

Terrific attitude - deep respect!

Br
Helmut, Austrian biggest MV fan :)

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Congratulations!

A really great performance, truly enviable.

It's nice to see that there are MV lovers, which are not only polishing and collect rare bikes but also drive them, for what they are made.

Terrific attitude - deep respect!

Br
Helmut, Austrian biggest MV fan :)
This I can guarantee - Helmi is an MV lunatic straight out of my heart :)

Hi there, thansk all for the comments.

I have a blog on the trip. www.milan-taranto.com Its a bit light on at the moment with regards to content, after a long day riding it was just another thing to do I'm afraid but there are more pics.

With regards to open face helmets - you are right - I was one of the few wearing full face but after I saw the face and head injuries of some of the competitors from the various offs I was sure I made the right decision (despite not falling off myself). I took period leathers but it was so hot and humid there I never put them on, again, all the old boys doing the race wore leathers - I guess I'm to soft.
Yeah you're too soft but you're over there and we're over here so who's :laughing:?

Great blog - I'll keep following your adventure & I MUST get myself on one of those before too long.

I Loved the pic taken inside Piaggio's Vespa museum, I can't believe I missed that on my last visit, I am still crying about that but of course, it renders me the perfect excuse to return ;)

Also noticed you straighten up Pisa's tower, nice work, I hope the locals don't lynch you for destroying their livelihoods :laughing:

Ride safe, stay upright & enjoy!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Fantastic and well done Martin.

As you have found out, these event's are great fun, but bloody hard work.........although worth it.

What you need to do now is find a way of spending the whole summer over here. Thay way you can just go from one event to another.

Glad the bike went ok as it's a real bummer when you have to withdraw because of a 'mechanical'.

What's next, the Targa Panamerica?

All the best.

Dorian.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Nice Photos Fantastic

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Fantastic and well done Martin.

As you have found out, these event's are great fun, but bloody hard work.........although worth it.

What you need to do now is find a way of spending the whole summer over here. Thay way you can just go from one event to another.

Glad the bike went ok as it's a real bummer when you have to withdraw because of a 'mechanical'.

What's next, the Targa Panamerica?

All the best.

Dorian.
Hi Dorian, long time no see - hope you are doing great.

So what is that? when is it on? & How do I get there? ;)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Phantastic Helmi ! I wish I could participate in this anywhen by myself.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Dorian, long time no see - hope you are doing great.

So what is that? when is it on? & How do I get there? ;)
Hi Rob.

Yeh, doing great thanks, just busy with MV Spares stuff so don't get on here as often as i would like.

The Targa Panamerica was a short lived re-running of the famous Carrera Panamerica road race in Mexico. It's still going i think but bikes are not allowed any longer.

It was a non stop race on open roads (read pedestrians and oxen around every corner) and was bloody crazy. I believe this sort of thing is frowned upon in our modern health and safety world.

A friend of mine did it on a BMW back in the 80's i think. He averaged over 100mph down the Baja peninsular and lived to tell the tale.

All the best

Dorian.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Hello all.

Well its been a while but I have updated the blog that discusses my Milan-Taranto trip. Basically there was an article in an Australian bike mag about it that I have a link to for you all. Will also be adding some more pics shortly.

www.milan-taranto.com

Sneak peak here of some new pics to keep you all interested.

Attachments

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
All I can say is:mouthwate:mouthwate:mouthwate:mouthwate:

I MUST do that! I am looking at the Motogiro D'Italia at the moment for 2012.........we'll see.:popcorn:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nice work...... if you can get it! :green:

*Have* to try something like this myself one of these days.....

Very jealous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MV arrives home

Well, at long last my MV Agusta arrived home from Italy on Friday and I unpacked it over the weekend.

The box it travelled in is a little worse for wear but it has now gone from the USA to Australia and then from Australia to Italy and finally from Italy back to Australia; so its doing very well all things considered.

After cleaning the carbi’s and spark plugs the engine runs beautifully again, such a nice engine and good looking bike that took me the length of Italy and then over the Stelvio Pass. I am lucky to own something that has been that reliable – it would be very hard to ever sell.

I think I’ll take it for a ride this weekend, will be great to ride again.

Attachments

·
2,156 Posts

I MUST do that! I am looking at the Motogiro D'Italia at the moment for 2012.........we'll see.:popcorn:
R.................:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty: just keeping an eye on the smilie usage................................:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:
oh................. and great pics / story plus love the number on the front re the defacto fly screen:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
2,156 Posts

Perhaps we should look at organising an event in Oz:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo: I am sure we would have enough / dig up MV classics to make it meaningful:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts

Perhaps we should look at organising an event in Oz:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo: I am sure we would have enough / dig up MV classics to make it meaningful:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:
Count me in for BOTH :) :yo::jsm::stickpoke:mouthwate:popcorn::smoking: :love: :heart: :ahhh: There ya go J ... a selection of emoticons how am I doing? Getting the hang of the correct number usage???? :laughing:

·
2,156 Posts
Count me in for BOTH :) :yo::jsm::stickpoke:mouthwate:popcorn::smoking: :love: :heart: :ahhh: There ya go J ... a selection of emoticons how am I doing? Getting the hang of the correct number usage???? :laughing:
R, I am absolutely impressed:yo::yo: this is a significant event / moment in the history of .net:wtf::wtf: there has never been a smilie post that has complied "perfectly" with the rules and regulations as stated in the .net charter (for a copy just pm me:naughty::naughty::naughty:)
and I will treasure this day / post forever:violin::violin::violin::violin:(cant believe Im posting this:shitfan::jsm::jsm::jsm:) anyway, well done:drummer::drummer::jsm::jsm:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts