MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you bothered/worried about the mileage you rack up on your bikes?

The reason I ask is because there is a part of me that thinks these bikes(as with most)sell better with low mileage but there is a part of me that doesn't care, I just want to keep it and ride it and that's that.

What are you all doing? Thoughts please?

Also:

1. What bike do you have
2. How many miles have you got on it
3. What's your mileage plan with regards to sell, keep etc.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
I buy bikes to ride, therefore mileage is not a concern in any way. I have fewer miles on my bikes than I would like to have...haven't been riding as much in the last few years
I'll need to go look at all the odometers.......the SPR 750 F4 has the least, but they are all on the track.

I never plan on selling a bike when I buy it. Unfortunately, sometimes I find I need to. Regret selling every bike I have ever owned. Should have kept them all.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I consider my bikes integral to my life. I buy with purpose and inspiration, to continue with purposeful inspiration. Mileage is irrelevant to me. Experience measured is not a commodity nor does it depreciate. —just long day saddle time as one gets on with living. Sorry if a bit heady. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Always going to be a contentious topic and many posts and comments have arisen from this question.

Among my bikes, I have a 2007 F4 1000R. I love riding it and I love keeping it pristine. That represents a conflict, so, like others on this forum I have a 'daily ride' so that I can still enjoy motorcycling and at the same time save mileage on my MV which at present has recently clicked over 7500 miles.

As I have expressed before, for a lot of us, the enjoyment is equally in the emotion of ownership as it is in riding. I do not keep low miles for sales or investment value, because I have no intention to sell. I can not logically or satisfactorily explain this trait other than to say it is pride of possession. I concede one can have equal pride with a 50,000 mile bike. I guess I suffer a peculiarity that I also share with some of my other bikes including a 2002 VTR (RC51) SP-2 of only 4,600 miles, a 2002 CBR954RR with only 5800 miles and a 1985 VF1000R as second owner that's just turned over 10,0000 miles.

For the 'you should get out and ride' pundits, I still knock up over 5,000 miles per year.:)

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Currently 1,900-26,000 (embarassingly not all mine)

·
Registered
130 Posts
2014 Brutale 1090 RR 11200 just had valves checked. All in spec
1987 VFR700 47000 or so Original owner speedometer drive broken
Honda Grom about 8300

·
Registered
52 Posts
30,000 Klms all mine since new. Just want to continue to ride it. Keep the maintenance up and look after it. 9 years and people think it is only a couple of years old.🏍

·
Registered
386 Posts
I buy bikes to ride and not look at. Equally I never consider residuals as when i buy as I never intend to sell.

I have put about 5500 miles on my F4 since 2015. Bit that is pure fun riding as I have a commuter bike and 3 play cars to share mileage between.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did 85K miles in 11 years on my K3 750 GSXR before part exchanging I for another GSXR (1000 K7 this time, which is now on 30K miles - it had just over 5K when I ought it). My bikes are only toys as I have a car for main use / work.

I bought the F3 new last year (June 11th last year) and have just had he 7,500 mile service done on it. I've not ridden it since October last year (took it out twice this year to keep it running, for approx. 50 miles each time) so it would have been more if it wasn't for the world crashing this year.

As some have said, I also buy my bike to ride and not sit in a garage. I do enjoy tinkering and polishing them, but also tour so inevitably get caught out in the rain when abroad, but I enjoy detailing it when I get back. I ride on track a lot, and predominantly tour abroad - very rare I ride in this country (UK) as too much traffic on the roads for my liking, and idiots. Plus all the speed cameras we now have so for me, so I get my pleasure either honing it round a circuit / the Nurburgring (European tracks where I sometimes teach as a race school instructor - it's been over 15 years since I rode a UK track) or pulling on my crash hat, turning the key in the ignition, hitting the start button and going on a week or two week road trip into Europe with a bunch of mates - passport in one pocket, credit card in the other and we tend to aim for an area once into France, then take it day by day looking at the map over the evening meal, deciding where to go the next day (usually looking at how wiggly the road is), heading deeper into Europe and just blatting about. The F3 does it all for me, I still have the GSXR for track use only, but the MV has also been thrashed mercilessly round a couple (as well as 18 laps of the Nurburgring in a weekend when it was 8 weeks old).

I have no plan to sell it, same with my cars - I've not owned many cars or bikes throughout my life as prefer to keep them and run them into the ground before parting and purchasing a new machine, and repeating the process.

_DSC6211.JPG
20190720_133150.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
I own TV (‘16) and ride as much as I can. I’ve done 30tkm now and don’t plan to sell until there is a new 950 model out. Only thing that might get in the way could be potential issues with parts and maintanance but so far so good! Oh, and I love to look at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I couldn't justify owning one if I didn't put a few thousand miles a year on it. I have a 2015 Brutale 1090RR with 13k miles on it. I do have other bikes and do a few k miles on those and my sports car too. Im not a car/bike collector, I like driving/riding. Dunno how long I will keep this Brutale, maybe a long time if I dont feel like I can afford a new 1000RR Brutale. By the time it gets to 30 or 40k miles it will be worth so little it wont be worth selling anyway so will have to keep in the fleet forever :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
1. I have an F4 750 2000 model.

2. 25,000 miles.

3. Erm that is a bit of a worry not sure what plan I have. Had her 10yrs, plan on another 10, that may well be quite high mileage. If that means the value takes a big hit what can I do eh? I can't have a beauty like that in the garage and not want to get mi leg over, so sod it, the miles will clock up but I will of enjoyed them, and had a great many nice days out at the coast etc.
I can't easily afford a second bike yet, and if I did it would prob be a 500 2 stroke and clocking up the mileage on them is even worse when they need expensive rebuilds every 20,000 miles.
Although I quite like that new MV Rush, and I like the Triumph 675 Daytona, and the MV triple RC versions, so who knows the future eh?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have to admit that I put rather few miles on my F4 750SR -- I only ride it for pure pleasure and on the tracks .. Sometimes for short outings to bike-meets and to gain some street cred when going to look at other bikes, or do test rides -- Somehow arriving on the F4 makes it a lot less fuss to get a test-ride on some new superbike :cool: a classic F4 is so rare and exotic here, that you will maybe only see 1 or two others for a whole year .. I really do not care what the milage on the F4 is, or what it ends up with (only interest is service intervals) - I will never sell it, my kids will get it when I can no longer ride it .. Then they can decide..
Since I got rid of the Duke St4s I am very much looking for a new "everyday/commuter/longer trips bike" -- seriously considering a B4 -- preferably a 910S or R -- Which is best? Since the Duc did 10K miles plus every year, the new bike must be reliable -- so no 3-pot MV for me ... Just too much of a lottery ..

·
Registered
6 Posts

The reason I ask is because there is a part of me that thinks these bikes(as with most)sell better with low mileage but there is a part of me that doesn't care, I just want to keep it and ride it and that's that.

Also:

1. What bike do you have
14.800 dragster 20000 km. More or less problemfre owner shipp. I love to ride it, so I dont care mutch about the milage i putt on it. I Will kep it to the Day I sell it, and gett what the marked is wiling to give.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Also:

1. What bike do you have
Great topic: i have a Harley Road Glide, is in Mint due to very little riding.
i have a 2015 MV 1000 RR, has 350 miles on it and just bought it. Amazing bike. Will ride more off track than on.
i have a 2018 MV 675 RC with 1050 miles, its a limited Edition and my struggle is to put miles on it or not. Beautiful bike, rides like a dream and i cant just look at it. Performs amazing on track and is prepped for track at the moment.
i have a R3 track bike that is track only and it gets tons of track time. Last but not least is my 2017 Honda Ruckus... its my pit bike, mail getter, squirrel chaser etc.
The MV's are my favorite for many reasons but i don't have selling in my future unless its a trade for one of those " gotta haves" . I believe they are meant to be in motion. Unless its a one off collector, an increased value wont happen for many years. Saddle up and ride!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts