MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Mv Agusta Dragster RR 2019
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!!
Here's a short video of turning my 2019 Dragster RR on.
Your help is appreciated...!! Could it be Sprag Clutch going bad? I thought they solved the problem....
I had a 2015 Brutale RR and changed 3 of them!!! :)
Thank you
https://youtu.be/hq2Ib5Nu1rQ

·
Registered
544 Posts
Check your battery voltage. You should know the sound and feel better than anyone if you've replaced three of them already. Euro 4 is the updated sprag so the battery is where I would start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your battery voltage. You should know the sound and feel better than anyone if you've replaced three of them already. Euro 4 is the updated sprag so the battery is where I would start.

Yeah, doesn't sound like sprag... Battery is always attached to tender....I have the bike only from June even though I clocked 9000 miles...The bike will go to sleep until spring very soon. And service first thing in the spring. I will change the battery with a lithium one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Starts to quick to be the sprag I think.

·
Super Moderator
22,829 Posts
That slight struggle is a battery going bad.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
no matter how long the battery is attached to the tender, if the battery is going bad the tender will not help

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
Batteries are subject to so many variables..... Brand quality is a big consideration. Initial set-up and maintenance prior to installation is another big factor.
Since MV uses pre-serviced batteries (they come in the bike with filled with acid and initial charge), they are subject to damage if the dealer does not conscientiously do maintenance charging while the bike is in their possession prior to sale.
The dealer may put a recovery charge on a neglected/damaged battery to make the sale delivery, but the battery will not last very long after.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello!
An update to my cranking/starting procedure of the bike. The battery and charging system has been ruled out by my mechanic at Rockwell as the voltage is very good at 14.5-7 Volts. The sprag seems to be fine as the bike starts up fast and so far is not worsening.
At the end even having talked to a tech at Mv USA, the cause is a mystery. When I will wake the bike up in the spring a more careful diagnose will be required. An hypothesis was losing compression to one of the cylinder, the bike though, once started up, runs fine and doesn't lose any power.
Thank you to all kind replies....Any other thoughts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
22,829 Posts
Voltage is not the parameter that you need to measure...unless you are measuring it DURING the start sequence.
You need to measure your battery capacity via load test.
A battery can indicate full voltage at rest, but when load is applied during the start sequence the voltage will lower to an unacceptable level.

On a side note, your bike is starting fine according to the video. What are you chasing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Voltage is not the parameter that you need to measure...unless you are measuring it DURING the start sequence.
You need to measure your battery capacity via load test.
A battery can indicate full voltage at rest, but when load is applied during the start sequence the voltage will lower to an unacceptable level.

On a side note, your bike is starting fine according to the video. What are you chasing?
Thank you to clarify that!!
I didn't know about the "DURING" start sequence and WORST is my mechanic doesn't know...!
I have been having these triple engines since 2015 and 38000 miles on them and I can tell you that the sound is definitely NOT normal starting it up.
Here's another perhaps clearer video...
Thank you

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds ok to me. Maybe a little slow initially cranking over but seems to catch and start fine???.
Sounds very much like my dragster starting up.
Usually turns over 3 or 4 times before it starts.
Never failed to start so far in just over a year of ownership.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello everybody!
An update on my problem starting the bike... Unfortunately it has been diagnosed that it is an exhaust valve leaking in cylinder #3... It would have dropped very soon!! The bike has 5 months and 9100 miles. Yes, I ride it :)
Let's see if Mv decides for a new head or the whole engine.
My previous bike had the same problem (Brutale RR 2015).
I am getting fed up with all these problems. (Changed exhaust valve, 2 leaking gaskets, CLUTCH gone without abusing it and the bike was stalling...) I spent the whole summer back and forth to and from my mechanic ( Thank God if it is part of a great ride!!! :). It cannot happen in 2020.... Love the bike when it works, but it is a big test on my patience. Seriously considering selling the bike...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sounds like a normal start to me. My Dragster RR always takes a couple cycles, then runs fine.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Valve issues on a 2019? Wow...Did you mechanic do a leak down test?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts