MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question for anyone who has used the Microtek software.

I've installed my Mictotek ECU in the brutale 1078, however I can't get the TPS calibrated as I can't get a connection from the laptop to the bike. When I click the 'open' button on the software to get this process started all I get is a message saying either 'USB failure' or else 'Connection?'. I have tried selecting both USB and Com Port modes, and tried a variety of com ports, but cannot get the software or the computer to actually recognise that the bike is connected.

I have phoned Chris Wells from Xbikes and he said my USB convertor/serial port cable is probably not compatable with the the microtek ECU. However the cable is the correct kind of cable; USB to serial port. But apparently not all after market UCB/serial port convertors work, and there is no way of knowing which ones work before you buy them. The microtek one will work but it is around £150 which is a bit too much for just one operation. Does anyone who has installed a microtek ECU on their bike and done the TPS calibration successfully know the name/make of the USB/serial port convertor they used and maybe I can get one on ebay or something.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi
I tried various USB adapters but the one that worked for me was from Maplin. It is an Express card serial port adapter by ST labs. I have used the Microtec USB adapter it is very fast and easy.
Chris and I were mapping my bike, before we had the Microtec adapter, using the express card and it popped out and we couldnt communicate anymore.
I got hold hold of an old laptop that had a real serial port and use that now with no adapter, its abit slower but works fine.
£150 against a damaged ECU might be worth the expense

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use a keyspan USB serial port adapter that only likes to work with one of my laptops with my Microtek and not the other. With one laptop it would drop out all the time but with other its rock solid even though all the setting are the same as the other one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IOGEAR part number GUC2322 (supplied CD with drivers is part number M1053) USB 2.0 to 2-port Serial RS-232 Converter worked fine with the XBikes Microtec (xbikes.cc) for my 2008 Brutale 910r on a Toshiba laptop running Vista through the PC's USB port. About 30 to 50 US dollars from your friendly computer parts supplier.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to try and get an old laptop or desktop computer that has a serial port and fit the Microtek ECU cable straight in. Do you think this will work OK or do you forsee any problems?, as I'll probably be running windows 95/98!. I Know a guy who might be able to fix me up with one of these.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right,...just back (before the snow) from Moto-Tech (Brian Jones). Thank you Brian for being so obliging and opening your shop on new years eve when you're closed for holidays and doing my TPS.... free!!. Looks like this IS the guy to take your MV to in this neck of the woods!. Well that microtek ECU has certainly smoothed out the 'snatchy' throttle, however the idle is quite high (as others have found) mine is at about 2100 and I feel this is TOO high, so it needs further investigation, even 1700/1800 wouldn't be too bad....any suggestions?. Thanks again Brian (Moto-Tech) and all the others who recommended various serial port/usb convertors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you purchased your Microtek ECU from Chris at X-Bikes, you should e-mail or call Chris to work out the high idle. Chris has been very helpful in getting my bike running well while I look for a local tuner.

I have a Microtek ECU from Chris at X-Bikes in my 2008 Brutale 910r. Via e-mail Chris was able to help me reset the TPS and was able, based on my feedback on how the bike was running, to supply me with config files and maps that got the idle between 1,450 and 1,550, get rid of the snatchy throttle, start well and run well. Chris still encourages me to have the bike tuned by an experienced tuner in my area and seems willing to speak with and e-mail the tuner of choice to help them with the Microtek.

Perhaps between Chris (X-Bikes) an Brian Jones (Moto-Tech) you'll get a great tune and a great running Brutale!

I'd be happy to share my config file and map but it's for an 08 910R so I am not sure this is right for your bike.

Right,...just back (before the snow) from Moto-Tech (Brian Jones). Thank you Brian for being so obliging and opening your shop on new years eve when you're closed for holidays and doing my TPS.... free!!. Looks like this IS the guy to take your MV to in this neck of the woods!. Well that microtek ECU has certainly smoothed out the 'snatchy' throttle, however the idle is quite high (as others have found) mine is at about 2100 and I feel this is TOO high, so it needs further investigation, even 1700/1800 wouldn't be too bad....any suggestions?. Thanks again Brian (Moto-Tech) and all the others who recommended various serial port/usb convertors.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bob....yes I'll have to give Chris a call and get this sorted out. As I said the 'snatchy' throttle is gone but it's idling its head off and riding home yesterday with it idling so high, slow bends and right turns were 'interesting'!! especially when the snow was starting to fall! Lets just say I was glad to get home! What exhaust system are you running as mine is totally standard (with cat). It cant be removed as it's an integral part of the exhaust and the only way round it is to fit new replacement manifold pipes and a separate mid pipe. could this be the cause of the unusually high idle?? Just a thought?

·
Registered
250 Posts
My solution for the high idle.....

reset break points in the timing map so you have one around 1500 rpm, one 200 rpm lower at 1300 rpm and one around 500 rpm for start up. Start them from 2000rpm up after that. You have plenty of break points available as the map goes to well over 12500rpm as is so re-jig the table so the highest column is just over the rev limit (about 13000rpm). Use 250rpm steps in the lower end for good low speed drivability resolution. You now have a timing column right at around idle speed and one just below it.

Set the 1500rpm closed throttle (2.3 degree TPS) to around -10 degrees or to suit so the bike sits there when warm. The column 200rpm below set to higher timing (like -5 degrees). My bike idles rock sold at 1500 rpm like this and idles strong while cold (rpms drop a little when cold but timing below 1500 ramps up accordingly to stabalise). I also have few degrees added in the adv/temp map which diminishes at 60degreesC. I never have to use the choke and can drive off straight away with no problems.

Alternatively, on xbikes's map just drop timing at 1/2000rpms at closed throttle and reset CO. don't really like this myself as it then impacts very low speed throttle response at above idle. Best to use new break points for idle specifically and one at 2000rpm to ramp timing up steeply for normal running there and not impacting idle (if you know what I mean....)

Set idle CO to suit and you done. I have completely revised the timing for the throttle response I like and have the bike set up with 2 timing maps (soft and hard throttle response) with a switch on the bike.

Timing is way more important for stable idle than just AFR. Its often used in this manner to help engines idle that dont have idle bypass valves or TPS steppers (on cars and bikes).

Microtek is a brilliant ECU.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I replaced the entire stock exhaust with a full titanium system which removed the catalytic converter and O2 sensors.

I do not think your high idle is related to your exhaust.

For me, the high idle was due to the map in the Microtec ECU. I sent Chris my config file and he replied with an edited config file and new map which got rid of the high idle.

Give Chris a call or e-mail. Chris's replies are very thorough and very helpful. He can send you maps via e-mail once you tell him what is going on with your bike.

Be careful in that snow!

Thanks Bob....yes I'll have to give Chris a call and get this sorted out. As I said the 'snatchy' throttle is gone but it's idling its head off and riding home yesterday with it idling so high, slow bends and right turns were 'interesting'!! especially when the snow was starting to fall! Lets just say I was glad to get home! What exhaust system are you running as mine is totally standard (with cat). It cant be removed as it's an integral part of the exhaust and the only way round it is to fit new replacement manifold pipes and a separate mid pipe. could this be the cause of the unusually high idle?? Just a thought?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I just got a message from Chris at Xbikes about a new map for the high idle. Looking forward to get this and hopefully get things sorted out. Oh by the way I'm gonna leave riding in the snow to someone with a big red coat and a white beard!!....I wonder how fast 'Rudolph' idles??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts