MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
So..... bought Henrik's Microtec for my 910R. Installed it last October and she started right up, ran OK. :smoking:
Went for a quick short ride and seemed good to go. :brutale:

I learned a few things like the neutral light stays on and I need a diode to turn it off, meter cycles every time starter button pressed, etc....and then the weather turned to crap...then work got in the way, and she went to sleep for a couple of months.
Finally had a nice day and went to exercise all my bikes (a little winter wake-up) and Gina would NOT start. :wtf:
Engine would hit like it was about to, but never caught. Ran the battery low trying so put her back to sleep on the tender.

This weekend I woke her up to try again. Realized there wasn't much fuel in the tank and thought that must be it. Added 3 gallons of non-ethanol high test...hit the starter button...nothing. Not even an attempt to start. :banghead:

So I put the MV Corse ECU back in, and she started immediately. Looked carefully at all the connections whilst doing the swap and saw nothing amiss. :confused:

So Randrew's Mona Lisa is sitting there (with a freshly installed set of race camshafts he had acquired :smoking:). We lift the seat, plug in my Microtec.....and it starts right up !! :wtf: (wish the Brutale's ECM was that accessible)

So now I'm perturbed. I don't want to go through all that work to plug it back in until I understand what happened.

Any ideas out there?? Was Gina just mad at me for not paying attention to her for a few months? Was she mad that I made her the last bike to get exercised that day. :thewife:

And before I reinstall the Microtec...does anyone have an up-to-date map for a 910R with MV Corse exhaust and BMC air cleaner?
Was hoping to get Chris (X-Bikes) to look at the one I have, but we all know the man is way busy, and I haven't heard back yet.

Looking for advice from the family. :nerd:

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sent Ed an email - Have you guys got the software handy on a PC or Laptop @R1andrew ?
check camsensor connection.
and with putting back 5sm, you might have cleaned a connection, so when microtec is put back , big chance it will start.

Before taking it out you could have checked all signals by PC software!!
I have a PC with the software....but I don't know what I'm doing !!!! :tongue:
I need instruction!! I have the book (thanks Randrew) but need to spend time studying that I just haven't had (taken). :eek:
I did manage to set the TPS. :p

I figure it must have been a bad connection...but all there is are the 2 big locking plugs and a ground!!!

When I first installed it I played around with the software and looked at the installed maps and made copies of them. I wonder if I screwed up the maps at that time?
So I am going to go to that old shop PC and grab my folder with the maps and send it to Donsy for inspection. :confused:

Would love to get another good map from someone who has the same bike and set-up, just for comparative purposes. ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Only non-starting issue I had with Microtec was when the map was too rich. Cleaned the Plugs with a wire brush and had the map leaned. Was Brutale 910 too.... Same symptoms you described, getting fuel and everything else, trying to catch when the starter cranking, but not quite getting it.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I have a PC with the software....but I don't know what I'm doing !!!! :tongue:
I need instruction!! I have the book (thanks Randrew) but need to spend time studying that I just haven't had (taken). :eek:
I did manage to set the TPS. :p

I figure it must have been a bad connection...but all there is are the 2 big locking plugs and a ground!!!

When I first installed it I played around with the software and looked at the installed maps and made copies of them. I wonder if I screwed up the maps at that time?
So I am going to go to that old shop PC and grab my folder with the maps and send it to Donsy for inspection. :confused:

Would love to get another good map from someone who has the same bike and set-up, just for comparative purposes. ;)
Maybe you should set up a Skype chat session Ed, I'm no expert but can talk you through the basics quite easily.

Only non-starting issue I had with Microtec was when the map was too rich. Cleaned the Plugs with a wire brush and had the map leaned. Was Brutale 910 too.... Same symptoms you described, getting fuel and everything else, trying to catch when the starter cranking, but not quite getting it.
The bike ran fine before the problem popped up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The bike ran fine before the problem popped up.

That's right. The takes a few miles for the spark plugs problem to manifest itself. I don't want to waste his time, but it might be worth popping out the plugs to inspect and giving them a good wire brushing just in case, it's not that big a job hey.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's right. The takes a few miles for the spark plugs problem to manifest itself. I don't want to waste his time, but it might be worth popping out the plugs to inspect and giving them a good wire brushing just in case, it's not that big a job hey.
I'll go with squibby. They don't like rich. They'll run lean and idle good but run on 3 when you try to ride. You didn't say how short the original ride was but I suspect not long enough to get a good feel. If you then played around with the maps I'll say it's a simple problem that's map related. Can't help there as mine's a 1078.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I don't get it, explain to me how a bike runs fine, and Ed would have noticed if it was overly rich, to not wanting to start because of fouled plugs, only to starting instantly with nothing but a swap in ECU @squibby :popcorn:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't get it, explain to me how a bike runs fine, and Ed would have noticed if it was overly rich, to not wanting to start because of fouled plugs, only to starting instantly with nothing but a swap in ECU @squibby :popcorn:
No idea. Maybe because his bike & ignition on the one hand is controlled from a Magnetti ECU made in Italy, and other the other hand it's controlled from a low volume programmable knock off of one.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
No idea. Maybe because his bike & ignition on the one hand is controlled from a Magnetti ECU made in Italy, and other the other hand it's controlled from a low volume programmable knock off of one.
Good response, sorry if I asked you to reveal some state secret.

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She's a very jealous girl. I am sure she was punishing me, and forced me to spend time with her and undress for a little massage.!! :p

On another note, I found the little locking bar on one of the ECU plug clamps broken (I am sure I must have done that without notice :( ).

So the locking lever doesn't clip in. It wasn't dislodged and I don't think it can unlock anyway without pulling...but maybe there was just this tiny bit of loose connection????

This bar is part of the cover on the plug. Anyone have a junk harness I could get that piece from??? or know of a source for the connectors? I think I found a kit in the UK on fleebay...but it's $75 and all I need is the one part. :confused:

I have to remove the cover to install the neutral light diode anyway. I'll take a photo when i get around to it.

Sent you my map files, Donsy !! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
...high test...hit the starter button...nothing. Not even an attempt to start...

You said this so my theory about the spark doesn't fly. missed that the first time over.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
This bar is part of the cover on the plug. Anyone have a junk harness I could get that piece from??? or know of a source for the connectors? I think I found a kit in the UK on fleebay...but it's $75 and all I need is the one part. :confused:

I have to remove the cover to install the neutral light diode anyway. I'll take a photo when i get around to it.

Got the clips for you Ed, just take a pic and show me exactly what you need, even if it's easier on Facebook.
I took a screen shot of the 2 maps you sent me in 3D, Base map, then yours I think then the one from Henrik.
Phew - be good if other would share theirs, especially USA based guys.
Looking at Configuration differences now.:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Joe to Ed

She's a very jealous girl. I am sure she was punishing me, and forced me to spend time with her and undress for a little massage.!! :p

On another note, I found the little locking bar on one of the ECU plug clamps broken (I am sure I must have done that without notice :( ).

So the locking lever doesn't clip in. It wasn't dislodged and I don't think it can unlock anyway without pulling...but maybe there was just this tiny bit of loose connection????

Ed,

I have a 5sm pair of connectors in Ireland. I'm back there in a couple of weeks and you can have whatever bits would be of use...

atb

Joe..

edit sori ..I see Mr Donsy has ya covered !

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll get the tank off and a pic of the part today. You guys are the best!
Those 3D maps are pretty. I'll have to try and figure out what I'm looking at !

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Photos of the ECU plugs with the broken lock bar circled in red (one photo with it, one missing it).
It's the body of the plug!!! I'm in process of disassembling to install the diode. Looks fairly simple :nerd:
We'll see :tongue:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts