MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, today I did the a.m. part of the track-day on my Pilot Powers and was biggining to slide the rear out on some fast sweeping turns. I could have gotten about 2K more miles out of them on the street, but decided not to push to get the last $10 of rubber out of them on the track. So I went to our Michelin man and ask for his recommendation. He put me on soft front and medium rear. :popcorn: The pressure in the rear tire for track use is supposed to be 22psi, street use is 28 psi! I asked him how they were going to feel and was told the carcass is much harder than the Pilot Powers and thus the lower pressure. :popcorn:

So I took the bike around the parking lot to scrub the sides off a bit before the session and pulled back in the pit. I rode only 1/2 mile and the tires were already warm! :popcorn: He told me to take the first lap or two easy to get the feel of them. So I did. Then I gradully started to put the hammer down (for my level :popcorn: ). Just to give you an idea of our track condition, our track is very old with not so good a pavement. The track itself is very technical with a back to back hair pin turn while dropping about 100 feet in elevation right after a high speed sweeping turn, and some blind uphill turns and potholes/cracks glore! In fact one of the sweeping turns has a nasty crack and pot hole that you really have to double apex it to miss the crap for the fastest line on thetrack. :ahhh:

So, now the tires... As I gradually started to pick it up, they felt very confident. The traction felt the same in/on all parts of the track, over cracks/potholes, sharp turns, sweeping turns, straights...everywhere. Very consistent feel throughout the track. There are a couple of very fast sweeping turns where I drag my slider, but as time went by, I started to actually pull my knee up in one of the turns to get more lean angle on the bike (Power Race was tested for 63 degree in the dry and mid 40's in the pouring rain in 45 degree temprature) :popcorn: . In the past I had only pulled my knee up while dragging in the two back to back hair pin turns, not on the long fast one! I kept getting more confident and kept pushing them from session to session. Finally I got a little too cocky and tried to gun it while still in full tilt as I hit the apex to get under a guy in front of me for an inside pass out of the apex. I went full throttle in second gear, when the bike stepped sideway big time...did a little fish tail and grabbed back on...I thought ok, time to take it easy a bit from here. There are some racers in our group, and I was getting passed on the staights, but I felt I was about the same speed as most of them in the turns while faster than many others...but had to accept the straight away lack of power with my measly 03 749 against the Japanese liter bikes... :conveyer: At times it'd piss my off for getting passed on the straight only for them to hold me up in the turns...I'm used to it now, but that's a typical problem when Ducatis are up against Japanes bikes... :violin:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good writeup Kamran, I've been contemplating getting the Race for my next trackday, but I've heard mixed things about them. My Powers still have maybe another couple of thousand kilometres but they've gone beyond the better part of their life. So I definately will try the Race out next time, I just hope their road manners are as good as the Powers

Did you find any clearance issues with the Race?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks...

No, no clearance issues; and I do use a hugger. I rode the bike home 40 miles, on the streets (with only 22 psi for track in the rear) and felt fine. I have since increased the pressure to 28 psi in the rear.

I think the mixed reviews may be due to the incorrect tire pressure as they all vary drastically between the grades of tire e.g. soft/medium/hard. The carcass is quit different between them, so if someone puts in the wrong pressure, they won't perform right.

I had at least 2,000 miles left on my Pilot Powers too. But when you need traction, it is not the amount of rubber left on your tires that is important, it is the number of heat cycle. That's why, I think, my Pilot Powers started to slide under hard cornering on the track. I already had 3 track days + 5,000 street miles on them. I am smooth with my throttle and don't jack-rabbit. So my tires typically last long. On the track, I use the V-twin so the power delivery is also very smooth.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. The grip was as good on bad pavement as it was on good pavement. they made the track traction very consistent even though the pavement condition was all over the place.

Sinnce they have better grip and warm up faster, they are better for street riding in the wet and cold. The only thing is, I think they won't last as long as pilot powers.

Attached are a couple of pictures (after riding them home 40 miles on the street) of the Power Race & Pilot Powers front and rear tires. The top ones with the front rubber all balling are the Pilot Powers (rear tire was smooth over after riding them home 40 miles), and the bottom ones with almost slick like wear (similar to slicks) are the Race. Keep in mind that the picture were taken after 40 miles of street riding, so they have become a little smoother than when they came right out of the track. The Race was after half a day (afternoon) at the track + street, while the Pilot Powers were after a full day + the street ride.

#1 PP front
#2 PP rear
#3 PR front
#4 PR front
#5 PR rear
#6 PR rear

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great pics. I've gone through several sets of PRs on the track and absolutely love them. No problems at all, but I can't imagine they would last very long on the street.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Great write up Kamran. :smoking: It sounds like the old Maestro was showing some of the youngsters how it's done. :king: Judging by the pics of the tyres, you weren't hanging around. :moped: Had you left the chip pan on the heat at home?? :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You're probably on a fairly abrasive surface. Usually they don't ball up quite that much, at least on the tracks I've ridden on. Nice work though.

I put the Michelins on my race bike last year for the first time. The Michelin guy said give them 5 laps to heat up, so I did. I crashed on the 5th lap, right in front of Doug Chandler and Son...

I think they still take a little while to warm up, but when they are warm they stick really great. Not as predictable in a slide as the Dunlops though.

One big plus is these tires last a LONG time. My friend rides a ZX-10R, and he's hard on the throttle and he got 2 full days plus another half day out of his at Road America. He brought along new tires but ended up not needing them.

I did an endurance race on the newer medium hard slicks and it was a bowling ball. There basically WASN'T a time that the ZX-10R wasn't spinning the back wheel.

The sprint tires are really nice though. Stick with soft, medium soft, or medium for sure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
David: I'd be curious as to what pressure he put in your tire when you crashed. "My" guy (!!!) told me to let her rip after a lap or two. He also wanted me to get the feel of them, as they are different than PP's.

You are right though, our track is ver abrassive...very old pavement! They only resurface the drag race section of it.

The PP's balled up a lot. The rear tire looked worse than the front (in the picture) right after the track session, but smooth over during the street ride.

PR, didn't ball up at all. After the track session with PP's, the grooves were almost closed up in my PP's. You could almost peel back the rubber over the grooves!

John: I did get my ass whooped by a young "girl" with nice kohoonas!!! She pit with her friends right next to us. And quite regularly had to reshuffle her kohoonas in her tank top when she was out of the 1-piece suit!!! :humpother

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Thanks...

No, no clearance issues; and I do use a hugger. I rode the bike home 40 miles, on the streets (with only 22 psi for track in the rear) and felt fine. I have since increased the pressure to 28 psi in the rear.

I think the mixed reviews may be due to the incorrect tire pressure as they all vary drastically between the grades of tire e.g. soft/medium/hard. The carcass is quit different between them, so if someone puts in the wrong pressure, they won't perform right.

I had at least 2,000 miles left on my Pilot Powers too. But when you need traction, it is not the amount of rubber left on your tires that is important, it is the number of heat cycle. That's why, I think, my Pilot Powers started to slide under hard cornering on the track. I already had 3 track days + 5,000 street miles on them. I am smooth with my throttle and don't jack-rabbit. So my tires typically last long. On the track, I use the V-twin so the power delivery is also very smooth.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. The grip was as good on bad pavement as it was on good pavement. they made the track traction very consistent even though the pavement condition was all over the place.

Sinnce they have better grip and warm up faster, they are better for street riding in the wet and cold. The only thing is, I think they won't last as long as pilot powers.

Attached are a couple of pictures (after riding them home 40 miles on the street) of the Power Race & Pilot Powers front and rear tires. The top ones with the front rubber all balling are the Pilot Powers (rear tire was smooth over after riding them home 40 miles), and the bottom ones with almost slick like wear (similar to slicks) are the Race. Keep in mind that the picture were taken after 40 miles of street riding, so they have become a little smoother than when they came right out of the track. The Race was after half a day (afternoon) at the track + street, while the Pilot Powers were after a full day + the street ride.

#1 PP front
#2 PP rear
#3 PR front
#4 PR front
#5 PR rear
#6 PR rear
mmmmmmmm... I could get my rear Power on the 1000 to start looking like that, all big grainy patterns, then I fitted my Maxton rear shock and also had him sort the forks, within a week the tyre had cleaned to a nice small grain on both front and rear tyres, and a real plus poimt was when I hit a bump I stayed in the seat!! I'm sorry to say this but the std suspension can be bettered :blah:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
acruhl said:
No pictures then?

Heh.

If you're talking to me, I'm Andy :)

Whatever the recommended pressures are. I think 22 rear like you say, and something like 29 or 30 front?
Sorry Andy...trying to keep all the names straight in my head with all the different handles!

I think her boyfriend(s) would have something to say if I took her picture! :banghead:

I did have a close call, but that was because I got a little carried away and too confident...trying to hit full throttle while still at the apex!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
mikef4uk said:
mmmmmmmm... I could get my rear Power on the 1000 to start looking like that, all big grainy patterns, then I fitted my Maxton rear shock and also had him sort the forks, within a week the tyre had cleaned to a nice small grain on both front and rear tyres, and a real plus poimt was when I hit a bump I stayed in the seat!! I'm sorry to say this but the std suspension can be bettered :blah:
I had my suspension adjusted by the dealer before all the track days on my PP's. Then I had GP suspension re-adjust my suspension before the half PP, half PR track day (the last one).

The GP guy did tell me that I'm a little too light for the stock front fork internals. He did offered to sell me some new ones... :conveyer:

But in either case, the PR were run on the same suspension set up. No doubt things could be improved if I spend more $$$... :conveyer:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
(...)
The GP guy did tell me that I'm a little too light for the stock front fork internals. He did offered to sell me some new ones... :conveyer:
(...)
read it now, but he is right :stickpoke ;) :guitarist :yo:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know, I need a different internals in my front than the stock to handle my light 2% fat-ass! That's on my wish-list...

But, also note that PR tires that I ran, were ran under the "current suspension" without balling. :stickpoke :stickpoke

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just did a search and found kamran's thread on the Power races. I just put a set on on the F4 track bike and was curious about PSI. I ran them on my RS250 and had a couple of battles through the corners with Kamran on his duc and he is correct, the local track asphalt is in tough shape.
I don't remember what I ran for PSI on the RS, not sure it is relevant because it was so light compared to the MV.
I will be using tire warmers and was curious if anybody knows the warm pressure for the front and rear.

Kamran mentioned 22 PSI for the rear but is that warm or cold and idea on the front? I would guess 25-26 but if anybody knows specifics it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod Rossi

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am shopping for track tires now for my GSXR 750 track bike (no street)

I was flopping between the Supercorsa pros or the Pilot race. I think I will go with the pilot race in medium compound so they last a bit!!!
Nice write up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts