MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God I wish I'd had a camera. I'm in the tyre shop, me on the bike and the two old boys going at the rear axle nut with a 6ft breaker bar that went out the door and into the street. Laugh, I nearly shat myself!

Anyhoo, got the new tyres on. The old qualifier II's were shot and although they'd been good to me, I did fancy trying these new lightweight wonders.

Riding into work this morning (going very easy on damp roads), they certainly feel a whole lot more nimble... than the squared of remnants I had on before (so not a fair comparison).

I'll share some thoughts once I've finished scrubbing them in.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
nice one.
Yeah, let us know if you can really feel the difference in weight Vs the Q2s.
Also, will they stick the same in hot conditions...Michelins have a tendancy to become slippery when it gets really hot..which is quite paradoxical.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Early report (Still scrubbing in, so they've not been at full pace yet):

Very nimble. I've had great fun zipping on them the last couple couple of days (riding in town). The bike changes (and then perfectly holds) position with the slightest of efforts. They're pretty stable under hard-ish breaking too.

It's surprising to find that the rear's already been all the way over on the right side - much more of a shoulder than the dunlops which wrapped further around the carcass. I'm wondering if that's going to cause a handling issue at what I'd normally consider full lean, or whether the carcass naturally deforms as it goes over to manage that side of things.

Grip-wise they warm quickly, and possibly have a touch more grip when cold than other pure sports tyres (Using qualifier II's as the direct comparison there). Again, having not really pushed them yet I can't vouch for the extremes of performance.. but I'm beginning to think it could be good.

More on this soon

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have my Pilot Pure's at a much lower PSI 30/30 because they felt numb at 33/33.
Careful with these tires as they are much raved about but mine truly didn't come in until I had 700mi on them. Now they are sticky but prior to that they were pretty numb feeling & higher pressures were just even less feeling. Keep in mind this is on a Duc 1098 but sport bikes are sport bikes.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Some S1000 owners swapped to the Pure, one swapped staright back again to Metzelers, he reckoned the front tread pattern (the two lines close to the centre of the tyre) caused the bike to follow road imperfections??

I want some one to tell me these Pures are very good, as paying for racetec interact K3 (street version) at £330 a pair is expensive

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Mike, I also experianced the front tire following road lines on my pures, but only on 1 road! I guess that road is really fucked up. But it wansnt because of the threads towards the middle of the front tire, it only did it when the bike was straight, not when slightly leaned (which is when those threads would have been square with the road) It didnt bug me a bit. The tires grip, handle and heat up like a dream! And at $300 (USD) delivered to my door for the set, I cant complain!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Mike, I also experianced the front tire following road lines on my pures, but only on 1 road! I guess that road is really fucked up. But it wansnt because of the threads towards the middle of the front tire, it only did it when the bike was straight, not when slightly leaned (which is when those threads would have been square with the road) It didnt bug me a bit. The tires grip, handle and heat up like a dream! And at $300 (USD) delivered to my door for the set, I cant complain!
Thanks for that, the bloke I got my Metzelers from had them on his, I think Suzuki 1300 naked, he said the front was skittery, oddly enough one S1000 owner who tried Pures swapped back to Power 2CT and reckoned they suited the bike better..odd when the Pure is it's replacement

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the best grip on the track with 29psi front / 31 psi rear. Great tyres!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've read a few comments and I might be wrong but I am under the impression that :
1. 30/30 is track pressure and just a guide at that
2. road pressures should be higher (34/36) than track pressures (30/30)
3. for serious track use the front is higher than the rear (30/28)

1. A 30 psi front for road use is soft as the tyre won't reach the operating temperature/pressure and will result in instability (the tyre/rubber is rolling around the centre line of the wheel due to loss of tyre wall strength/stability). A higher pressure will solve this.

2. Road pressures are higher as, under normal use, there is less heat generated than on the track. With a greater heat generated the pressure also increases (physics stuff).

3. On the track more power is delivered to the rear tyre (basically harder on the throttle) and a greater heat is generated in the tyre so the cold pressure is less. The increase in heat generated on the front tyre is less (no power, just riding) so the increase is less hence a slightly higher cold pressure.

For both front and rear tyres more heat is generated on the track due to increased speeds for prolonged periods of time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I run 30/30 on the street per Dan Kyle's suggestion but I ride hard. I'm not commuting to work, this is only canyon where I'm riding like it is a track and generally like a [email protected]
All of my friends are also using 30/30.
Pirelli loves 31/30 for the street.
I'm getting an MV with Bridgestone BT-016 and I've heard nothing but great things about them...I'm a little excited to try a new brand. I love the Pirelli but they are so much more $ than the Michellins.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm getting an MV with Bridgestone BT-016 and I've heard nothing but great things about them...
Then someone has been lieing to you! BT16's suck major ass IMHO. The compound is way hard for any canyon riding, and no feedback. I will never and I mean EVER buy BT16's ever again. Only made that mistake once.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok opened the bike up on the roads last night. Not sure...

Those Michy's grip perfectly. Tighten the line mid corner and you'll feel the front tyre dig in, compress the forks and haul the front end around - g-force rules! On one full throttle exit out of a corner, with power rolling on mid-corner, I was surprised to not recieve even a slight twitch from the rear. Hard braking doesn't unsettle the front end whatsoever, they track a perfectly straight line with no weave or movement.

However, they do feel unforgiving over a rough surface, even a bit twitchy (compared to the Dunlop Qualifier II's I ran before). So much so that I've cracked another radiator!!!! I've experienced the same feel with Road Pilot 2's (they tell you what's going on beneaththe wheels) on my ZX12r, they skip along but stay planted. On the MV though it's a more unsettling feeling. Probably to do with the stiff Chassis (perhaps my brain's getting feedback overload!). No major dramas though, and we were pushing along at pace (but not the corner pace I'd have done on the old tyres).

I've also noticed that they didn't seem to hold their line quite so well, requiring adjustments mid corner to keep them in check, again this is different to the Dunlops which just rolled around the corners as if on rails. It almost feels like the Pure's have certain angles where they're in their element, but before and after that they're unsettled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of michelin and their tyres, and these are very good. However, some of my local roads are very badly surfaced and I think it's this that upsets these Pures, as does banding or joins in the surface if the wheel runs along it.

Then again, run them on a well surfaced sweeping corner and they'll glide around. Perhaps they're just wanting a more refined road (and possibly rider) than my rough roads and agressive style can offer.

For now though they stay and I'll see how they settle in, it may be with a couple of hundred miles on they will bed in and adapt.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Ok opened the bike up on the roads last night. Not sure...

Those Michy's grip perfectly. Tighten the line mid corner and you'll feel the front tyre dig in, compress the forks and haul the front end around - g-force rules! On one full throttle exit out of a corner, with power rolling on mid-corner, I was surprised to not recieve even a slight twitch from the rear. Hard braking doesn't unsettle the front end whatsoever, they track a perfectly straight line with no weave or movement.

However, they do feel unforgiving over a rough surface, even a bit twitchy (compared to the Dunlop Qualifier II's I ran before). So much so that I've cracked another radiator!!!! I've experienced the same feel with Road Pilot 2's (they tell you what's going on beneaththe wheels) on my ZX12r, they skip along but stay planted. On the MV though it's a more unsettling feeling. Probably to do with the stiff Chassis (perhaps my brain's getting feedback overload!). No major dramas though, and we were pushing along at pace (but not the corner pace I'd have done on the old tyres).

I've also noticed that they didn't seem to hold their line quite so well, requiring adjustments mid corner to keep them in check, again this is different to the Dunlops which just rolled around the corners as if on rails. It almost feels like the Pure's have certain angles where they're in their element, but before and after that they're unsettled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of michelin and their tyres, and these are very good. However, some of my local roads are very badly surfaced and I think it's this that upsets these Pures, as does banding or joins in the surface if the wheel runs along it.

Then again, run them on a well surfaced sweeping corner and they'll glide around. Perhaps they're just wanting a more refined road (and possibly rider) than my rough roads and agressive style can offer.

For now though they stay and I'll see how they settle in, it may be with a couple of hundred miles on they will bed in and adapt.
Great feedback! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
As emmevi125s rightly pointed out street/road pressure should be higher than track.
Lucky13_uk, your impressions and feedback will vary greatly depending on pressure and type of riding.
I have mounted Pures on the Brute and will run 30/30 at the track. For everyday use however, commute and weekend rides I'll go as high as 36/36. I was actually recommended 38/38 by my very credentialled mechanic. It also does depend on what weight you put on the bike, but I'm not that ginormous, about 90kg, so 95-100 all kitted out + bags. Higher pressures on the road, where tyres don't heat so much and don't spent much time on the edges, will deliver longer life too.
Just my humble opinion.
M

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers for the inpu Mick, I'll have a play. I was thinking of varying pressures to see how they respond, I've read everywhere that they're very sensitive to pressure changes (again, it seems common with all Michelins).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts