MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bizarre twist it appears that arguably THE most gifted real road racer in the world today has apparently lost his BMW ride despite putting them back on the map at this years TT in both the super bike and super stock races.
It seems giving them 3 victories is not enough to insure he has a ride with them again for 2015!!

Instead due to a change of sponsorship his ride could and probably will go to Guy Martin who has yet to secure a single victory at the TT or NW 200.
http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=18181
http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...unlop-without-ride-for-2015-tt-/#.VF1ZVpIgGK0
Brian.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
I don't get it.
But I imagine its all about who's got the biggest wallet, I wonder if the brother love would enjoy this. On another note, if Guy doesn't win on that bike, he might be a bit of an laughing stock in the press, even more than he is now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I heard it had a lot to do with PR, as talented a rider as Dunlop is he's no good in front of camera or at the PR side of life and his attitude is a bit suspect, whereas Guy as we all know has a huge following and I think bmw would love to tap into his like ability and have a character like Guy to promote the brand.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I heard it had a lot to do with PR, as talented a rider as Dunlop is he's no good in front of camera or at the PR side of life and his attitude is a bit suspect, whereas Guy as we all know has a huge following and I think bmw would love to tap into his like ability and have a character like Guy to promote the brand.
Funny that.....every other team just wants to win the ****g TT and tho I like Guy, I would not put money on him winning in 2015

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think Guy could win a TT if it was two laps buthe seems to struggle and drop back In the six lappers .

·
Registered
431 Posts
They have won the TT now I think they need to appease their sponsors, or perhaps it was the sponsors who initiated the move to get rid of Dunlop, either way I won't miss him

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As Michael says ..., he has 11 TT trophies on his mantelpiece at the moment and only 3 of them were won on a BMW.
The man had shut his critics mouths by winning......, and by winning on multiple manufactures bikes and many times his own bikes with out any factory support.

He'll be back at the NW 200..., TT and UGP next year and will win.. no matter what he is on you can count on it.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
http://youtu.be/os6mUa3FdOM

He had only signed with them for 1 year so it's not like he's been dropped, did BMW want to sign him for longer and he wouldn't, or did they know they would be looking for an new team (TAS) to run their UK bike racing effort and in which case not sign him for longer?

Depending on what Hawk racing do maybe he will join them?

As for Guy Martin, he may not have won but he's a regular on the podium so hardly rubbish and everyone likes a trier.

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
They have won the TT now I think they need to appease their sponsors, or perhaps it was the sponsors who initiated the move to get rid of Dunlop, either way I won't miss him
I reckon you could be spot on with your assumption. It appears that brand BMW is more concerned about public image than it is about repeating race victories.

I suppose they've proved that their bike can win out of the box and now they're more interested in improving it's world wide appeal and GM is certainly flavor of the month with TV/media coverage..

I hope GM one day wins a TT medal, but it will have to be on a day where some of the other top riders aren't at their best ( Especially Micheal Dunlop, Bruce Anstey or McGuinness ).

Maybe GM will surprise us all and do next year on the Beemer.. He certainly appears focused and determined in his TV program challenges.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I suppose they've proved that their bike can win out of the box

Either that or it's proved Michael can win out of the caravan ;)

Whether or not the BMW is the best bike is yet to be discovered?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Maybe he'll take on a proper challenge and ride for the Tsingtao MV Team ;)
Although him putting the F3 on the top step wouldn't be out of the question?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I reckon you could be spot on with your assumption. It appears that brand BMW is more concerned about public image than it is about repeating race victories.

You may well be right but I don't understand BMW's tactics. Guy Martin is undoubtedly the house wives favourite but I imagine Micheal Dunlop with his own achievements and tremendous family history has a higher standing with the TT audience/bike buyers. I think most TT fans quite like MD's little non PC moments. And from personal experience MD is far more approachable than GM.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Remember the majority of the top teams in the TT and NW200 are BSB Superbike teams, and so it is BMWs choice to supply and back the TAS BSB team from Hawk Racing which has brought about this change and the TAS team already have their preferred road race riders. In that respect I honour their loyalty to their current riders?

This little drama seems to play out every year with MD, last year he split with Honda and was retiring from the whole thing at one point. Has he won on a Kawasaki yet? If not then that's my tip for next year?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You may well be right but I don't understand BMW's tactics. Guy Martin is undoubtedly the house wives favourite but I imagine Micheal Dunlop with his own achievements and tremendous family history has a higher standing with the TT audience/bike buyers. I think most TT fans quite like MD's little non PC moments. And from personal experience MD is far more approachable than GM.
That is my experience too.

When all is said and done..,Michael through his talent as a Race 'winner' put the BMW back on the map...after how many years???....,it last tasted success at the TT in 1939!!

That success 'he' gave them now puts their bike out there as a viable race winner.
Before that no one gave BMW or Michael a chance on an 'unproven' bike at the TT......if you wanted to win at the TT you had to be on a Honda.

As 11 time TT legend Philip mc Callen has said..."sometimes winning just isn't enough".

It seems to be mainly about PR and politics....you only have to ask 'Hutchy' about that.
He won 5 TT's in a week (the only man in history to do so)...yet in the film 'TT closer to the edge'..(filmed at that time)..it is all about Guy Martin who has won how many?....0

I'm not having a go at GM ..., I really like the guy and think he is a very talented rider., however I think it is only fair that credit goes to where credit is due.
Don't think Michael is too worried anyway as he'll still win even if he has to do it on a Vespa Scooter.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Just a couple things about that, when the film was being made who knew Hutchinson would go on to win 5 out of 5, in hindsight maybe they would have made it about him but in reality making a film following someone beat everyone else doesn't offer much in the way of drama, whereas drama is a pretty safe bet with GM. Fact is people want to see the drama and danger and between him and Conor Cummins they certainly got it?

Secondly the film is about tough men taking on one of the most dangerous challenges and no offence to him but as soon as IH opens his mouth he sounds more like that other TT hero George Formby ;)

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I had a new superbike to promote, say, a model called R1 or something, I know who I'd put on it!

I see Mar-Train have signed Dean Harrison; a two-man team with Michael would be impressive!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts