MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have bought the Metal Fuel Connectors to avoid problems in the future :)

However to get the Plastic Female connector from the tank gives a problem, I can not reach with normal tools.

Does somebody has tips or a suggestions. :yo:

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James,

Looks like a expensive tool......However does the job. And it is just the information that I need.

But at your faq you said mostly the male is failing, I am just wondering what todo :)

I will look for this tool at my local automotive store.

And thanks in uppercase!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
simple small nose vice grips. the tricky part will be the hose clamps if you don't have the tool. alot of people just remove them and replace them with screw type hose clamps.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
heno42666 said:
can this job be done with the tank complete but obviously removed from bike.
yes. i did it.

looking at the photos, and from what i remember, looks like a modified 6-pt socket would be a nice tool to make for this job. i'm thinking you could basically cut away about 1/4 of the socket on two sides so that it'll fit around the slide clip on the fuel connector.

btw, this was the easy part of the switch on my 1kS motor!

getting the barbed end into the fuel hose was the hard part. (fuel hose on 1kS & R motors is different than on 750 motors)

alex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Job done...With the tool suggested by James and the tool was 6 Euro's!

They went off very easy, was afraid for that part because it was loctited!!

Tommorow going for new "normal" clamps and teflon tape and put it back together.

Just one thing to ask, is it correct that the female does not go in that far untill the bottom plate? I think it should not be a problem because of the teflon tape but just to be sure?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The female side doesn't go all the way to the bottom in my experience. It should be fine. Cutting a socket away like an O2 sensor tool would be difficult to get right I think? Needle nose are easy enough but maybe if someone makes this socket themselves they can pass it around :)

The factory uses a loctite that is a substitute for teflon tape, I think it's called PST but may have a number too?

·
Registered
522 Posts
What size socket is it?I can try at work and see if they can machine one for me.I would be happy to mail it out,once the job is done shouldn't need it again anyway.My parts should be here in a few weeks then if somebody want's it ill pass it on.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
james - not sure how hard it would be to get in there. it may need a to be a thin wall socket too - it's a tight fit between the fitting and the side of that fuel tank plate. personally, i tried to use a crow's foot and found that damn near impossible. just not enough room. resorted to the same tool as you showed in your photos.

910rwantobe - i think i have an extra female connector. i'll check the size tonight when i get home, unless someone here beats me too it.

alex

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
JamesC or anyone else know if the female side has been known to failed?

I've just changed the male side to a metal unit but left the original plastic ones.

I will change this part when I do a fuel filter change at the same time.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
the socket is 19mm.

here's a photo with the fitting in a 19mm socket. the fitting is upside-down. i think if a section of the socket were cut out, between the red lines i've drawn in the photo, then it would fit over the fitting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Push in the slide lock on the part that says crc. then push that tiny lock pin down on the top to it is under the slide assembly. then release the crc slide and it will slide all the way out. be carefull becouse there is that tiny lock pin with a spring under it and it will go boinging into never never land. there is also a spring under the crc push part so watch that also. then you can put your socket over the assembly as there is no obstructions.

garett

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a pro at taking apart the fittings with the fiasco I just went thru with the metal fittings from omega. I thought I was in the clear with the problem after I replaced the orings with ducatti ones but low and behold tonite the hose in the fuel tank decides to come undone as I was going to ride home after work. I guess I should count myself lucky that it didnt come undone while I was riding.

garett

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@minime, you only have to take of the tank.

@all, was at my local automotive store for the teflon tape they said to me that this is not petrol resistance. So better save then sorry take the loctite solution.

Just for your information.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I wouldn't count on the teflon in and of itself but make sure the threading is tight metal to metal.

It only takes a few mins with the needle nose and it avoids a lot of complication IMO.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
minime said:
JamesC or anyone else know if the female side has been known to failed?
My only failure in 53000km is the female side. Mechanic was working on it while it was still under warranty and it broke!

I think it is best to use only metal to metal. To me it is risky to put the metal MALE side into the plastic female side. My opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts