MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking. If you ordered a car, you can choose the exterior and interior colors and wheels you want.

I'd like to propose to MV Agusta that they should create a palette of top colors and lower fairing colors and allow customers to choose the combination of colors they want for their bikes. What this would do is create a "custom" order market which would give MV Agusta a good idea of exactly how many bikes to produce.

They can also take this one step farther by offering different wheels and wheel finishes and even offer another option for special parts. Let's say I want to order a custom design F4S, I'm more likely to spend more money to order special parts since I'm making my custom order as opposed to just walking into a show room and driving out with a bike.

So, in summary, the advantages of custom orders are:
1) Better indicator of parts need for inventory;
2) Dealers can offer a wider array of MV styles (ie: dealer orders)
3) Customer has more choices
4) MV can market they offer customer a unique purchase experience unlike most other motorcycles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it can be pretty practical. Dealers would submit orders a month or two before production and hopefully the bike would arrive the following month. Obviously, the shorter the time from order to arrival the better. But there's a little bit of sadistic excitement ordering a bike and waiting for it to arrive. It does add to the ownership experience as a oppose to just walking in and driving out of the showroom.

It would aslo add a sense of exclusiveness which I suspect MV would like to do and for the customer, it gives them a more unique bike.

But it would also put more responsibilities on dealers to decide what "color" to order as part of inventory. It could probably cause more cross dealer shopping or more dealer cooperation too.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Don't most dealers accomodate this? I guess the one big thing is supply....I tried to get Marchesini's for my Brutale when I bought it, but they were on order to Italy. They never showed up.... I gave up and put the money toward the F4 instead. :)

I would guess a dealer could order some parts with the bike and bring it together on their end instead of waiting for the manufacturer to sort it out.

I could be wrong...I really know very little about the process.....

But there's a little bit of sadistic excitement ordering a bike and waiting for it to arrive.
hmmmm.... not sure if everybody would agree with that! :wtf:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The way I picture it would work is that I'd go to a dealer and decide I don't really like their current inventory of red/silver and red/blacks. I'd go to the spec sheet and pick the following options:
I. Standard Options:
A) Configuration: Monoposto
B) Top level (upper faring, gas tank, small panel, and seat cowl): Orange
C) Lower Level (mid fairing and belly pan): BlacK
D) Wheel: Star wheels Black

II. Special Parts Options:
A) Carbon fiber foot guards
B) Carbon fiber rear hugger
C) RG3 Full Titantium Exhaust
I'd then give the dealer a deposit and they would send the order to MV Agusta. A few weeks later my bike arrives and I have one of the few F4S Pumkins around. wohOO! :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
hahahaha. you seem to forget the corse pipes that were "supposed" to come with the 910R that took forever. you can put an order in and wait an eternity, or just get a basic bike and pay additional for the custom parts. but you can do that already. at least then you wouldn't have to wait forever to be able to ride. remember, they aren't that big. and even though MV owners pay more, no other bike mauf. has this as an option as far as i know. i think MV has it hard enough as it is just meeting demand of their current spec bikes. i think some R's had to be shipped with the star brembos because the lightweights weren't ready yet. :wtf:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Gladio said:
I would have orderd an R if I could have had it with a RED frame.
YOU AND ME BOTH! :mad: Still love the Gladio though :yo:
It would be easy for the factory to custom build, like a red framed R or Matte Black 910, as I would think the parts are already on the shelf, its not like they paint the tanks on the bike. I dont know if you could get radial brakes on a non R or TSS on a regular 1k, but I think it would be easy as far as color/seats go.

Hey Jack, how come we never got our T stickers, but these R-istas get their exhaust?

Yes,I have copyrighted the word "R-istas" and all those who wish to use it must pay royalities :laughing:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
rsduce said:
YOU AND ME BOTH! :mad: Still love the Gladio though :yo:
It would be easy for the factory to custom build, like a red framed R or Matte Black 910, as I would think the parts are already on the shelf, its not like they paint the tanks on the bike. I dont know if you could get radial brakes on a non R or TSS on a regular 1k, but I think it would be easy as far as color/seats go.

Hey Jack, how come we never got our T stickers, but these R-istas get their exhaust?

Yes,I have copyrighted the word "R-istas" and all those who wish to use it must pay royalities :laughing:
Hey, that's right. Those fucking whiners... where's my fook'n exhaust.... :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

I want my fook'n T sticker!!!
:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :eek:nthecan:

:)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
style_one said:
remember, they aren't that big. and even though MV owners pay more, no other bike mauf. has this as an option as far as i know. i think MV has it hard enough as it is just meeting demand of their current spec bikes.
That's the other part of it. MV would not be adding custom orders to their current build process. They would build bikes based on custom orders. So, the dealers use some of it's allocations for show room inventory and some of it's allocation for the rarer orders by customers. It's pretty much how car dealerships operate. The plus for MV Agusta is that it tells them exactly how many bipostos, mono, reds, silvers, black, or whatever to build and want parts they need to order.

The other plus is that I don't think any other bike manufacturer does that and it's adds to the "upscaleness" MV Agusta is looking for. Now, like a Porsche or Ferrari, MV Agusta offers you the ability to create an even more unique motorcycle.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We hijack this thread in the name of the non T sticker Gladio Brotherhood!! :bandit: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
:ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

:cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross:

:nutkick: :toothless

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
That's the other part of it. MV would not be adding custom orders to their current build process. They would build bikes based on custom orders. So, the dealers use some of it's allocations for show room inventory and some of it's allocation for the rarer orders by customers. It's pretty much how car dealerships operate. The plus for MV Agusta is that it tells them exactly how many bipostos, mono, reds, silvers, black, or whatever to build and want parts they need to order.

The other plus is that I don't think any other bike manufacturer does that and it's adds to the "upscaleness" MV Agusta is looking for. Now, like a Porsche or Ferrari, MV Agusta offers you the ability to create an even more unique motorcycle.
Allan, I think the downside is time. In order to get a custom bike you obviously need to commit to it because a dealer doesn't want to be stuck with an orange Brutale (hahaha). So after the order is place how much time for MV to build it and ship it? I know I waited almost 6 months for a pair of marchesinis. Now if the importer was in charge of builds, that might be different. If we're just talking plastics, it's not too difficult. Now suspension, frames... that would have to go to the factory.

Heck, have the dealer install the plastics. Like the special edition kits.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Gladio said:
Allan, I think the downside is time. In order to get a custom bike you obviously need to commit to it because a dealer doesn't want to be stuck with an orange Brutale (hahaha). So after the order is place how much time for MV to build it and ship it? I know I waited almost 6 months for a pair of marchesinis. Now if the importer was in charge of builds, that might be different. If we're just talking plastics, it's not too difficult. Now suspension, frames... that would have to go to the factory.

Heck, have the dealer install the plastics. Like the special edition kits.
Yes, I know some car dealership will not refund deposits if the color combination is too "bizarre". I imagine the same could apply for the MV dealer.

In terms of wait time, it shouldn't really change too much. MV would simply build bikes based on dealer orders -which is probably what they're doing now. It really follow the pattern of car dealership. A dealer order some cars for their own inventory, or a customer can come in and spec a car. I believe both situation come from a dealers inventory.

Here are some extreme car example because the level of customization is amazing:

Maserati:
http://www.maserati.com/jsp/ccMy06_gss/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddjghgihiecefeceegdgimdfmf.0
YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE INTERIOR OPTIONS!!!!

Porche: Click on "Build Your Porsche"
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo/

MV Agusta could also use similar software on their site.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The trouble is that no buyer is going to pay for a bike that they can't be 100% assured is going to arrive on time. And the dealers can't foot the cost until they turn up. I can't imagine ordering my F4-CW (Cat Whisperer limited edition :)) and then waiting an eternity for it to show up with different parts to what I'd spec'd (and we just *know* it will happen with MV), and then have to try and get some kind of customer service out of the factory to put it right.

Yes, it's a great idea, but I fear MV Agusta isn't the company to try it.

Si

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Costomer service out of MV?.....?????? You mean an answer? Like an answer about a blinker that skips a beat. You mean like comunication between the dealer and the company? I`ll buy off the floor thank you. That keeps more (answered comunication) between just me and the dealer thank you very much. A nice idea but you can`t even talk to them directly. Although I have not tried to. I can`t eat that much popcorn waiting for an entire bike let alone a sticker.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey I could have had a red one! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'd love to have a red frame on my F4 :love:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts