MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents I need Your help again!
I bought a tail tidy from Alex at GP Racing with the LED turn signals.
Reason is that I broke the CF rear fender and since this is the second of these brittle pieces at my 01 F4, I'm just sick of spending fortunes on it anymore.
Now I got from Alex the advise to use 10 Watt resistors.
So I went to Radioshack and they looked at me and asked what resistance do I need.
He gave me 1 Ohm, 10 Ohm and 50 Ohm 10 Watt resistors.
Well to make the story short.
None of them work !
The light goes on for a few seconds and than off, the front signal stays on.
So does it without a resistor.
Now my question is, what kind of resistor do I need ?

·
Vendor
5,489 Posts
I used to run the Melotti indicators until I switched to Corse which have inbuilt resistors.I still have the resistors at home.When I get home tonight I will let you know whats written on them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
haupti
The ohm value will set the flash rate the wattage rating relates to how much load the resistor can handle the higher the wattage rating the cooler the resistor will run. Question did you wire the resistors in series or parallel, they need to be in parallel. I wouldn't put the 1 ohm in parallel and possibly not the 10 ohm you could short somthing out, when Mitchy gets back back to you with a value try that in parallel.

·
Vendor
5,489 Posts
I got home from work and took a photo of the Melotti resistor and the writing on the resistor doen't mean a lot to me but I hope it helps you mate.

DSC_0017.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,874 Posts
That's the heat shrink rating on the covering of the resistor...

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I have a bunch of extra resistors from the Rizoma signals I have installed and you can have them if you want. If you ran the signals without any resistor you may have burned them out, sorry to say. I did that with a $60 Rizoma. Nothing to do but get a new one.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,874 Posts
Haupti...you have to back calculate the resistance from the original load on the system. How many watts (each side) were the bulbs you are replacing?

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Got a pic of what you have George, it sort of depends on the amount of diodes per indicator, but from what I remember here on the forum, most where between 20 and 30 Ohm.
A bit like these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorbik...esistors-/170904234296?_trksid=p2054897.l5661
Or theses http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-...ign=motor-au&gclid=CNLSjvvUv74CFVgnvQodUGIA-A

Can you warm that heat shrink Mitch and pull it of to check the resistor value?

the installation instructions use wattage values of the oem indicators. One resistor is used for 10Watt systems and 2 resistors for 21 Watt systems. When I installed the Rizomas on my 2007 F4 I used 1 resistor. You cannot hurt the diodes by installing resistors too large. It will just slow down the blinking. How these would work with a different brand is an unknown since my multimeter quit working so I cannot check the resistance. Probably 10 ohms. I have at least 4 if you want them

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,489 Posts
the installation instructions use wattage values of the oem indicators. One resistor is used for 10Watt systems and 2 resistors for 21 Watt systems. When I installed the Rizomas on my 2007 F4 I used 1 resistor. You cannot hurt the diodes by installing resistors too large. It will just slow down the blinking. How these would work with a different brand is an unknown since my multimeter quit working so I cannot check the resistance. Probably 10 ohms. I have at least 4 if you want them
I also used only 1 resistor each side when I ran the Melotti indicators and they worked fine.I have 2 brand new resistors that I didn't use and can post to you,cost of postage only.But that's 2 weeks away seeing I live on the other side of the world.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You all for Your posts and the thoughts behind it.
You are really great guys!
Sorry that I never responded but I was the whole day in my garage trying to fix it.
So now here I'm and guess what I got it working.
I really thought I will loose it today.
But I must say that I learned that diodes do have a polarity.
Once I figured this out I got the license plate light and the turn signals working.
The later ones I got flashing with 10 Watt and 10 Ohm resistors.
The next task was to solder all the cables together and to find a way to install the ceramic square shaped resistors.
With the help of Napa Autoparts I found some clamps and wire splice connectors.
I don't want to tell You what else got broken ruined today because is to cry for.
However I have for tomorrow the license plate to install and to align the Melotti with its turn signals.
A Photo will follow any when.
So thank You once more for Your participation guys!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the result

So here the promised photos.
Yeah, not that great, but what will You do with the limited resources You have.
It will hopefully do it for now and will keep on searching for some metal incased resistors which could be bolted down to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Thank You all for Your posts and the thoughts behind it.
You are really great guys!
Sorry that I never responded but I was the whole day in my garage trying to fix it.
So now here I'm and guess what I got it working.
I really thought I will loose it today.
But I must say that I learned that diodes do have a polarity.
Once I figured this out I got the license plate light and the turn signals working.
The later ones I got flashing with 10 Watt and 10 Ohm resistors.
The next task was to solder all the cables together and to find a way to install the ceramic square shaped resistors.
With the help of Napa Autoparts I found some clamps and wire splice connectors.
I don't want to tell You what else got broken ruined today because is to cry for.
However I have for tomorrow the license plate to install and to align the Melotti with its turn signals.
A Photo will follow any when.
So thank You once more for Your participation guys!
Geez. I did all that typing for nothing. :) glad you didn't blow them up

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well done haupti glad you got it sorted. The Rizoma Action look great on the bike, which please me as I'm waiting delivery of the very same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts