MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd hazard a guess its a 2017. I've been looking for one for a few weeks and just missed a couple of 2015's. One in Perth sold for $7,000 and one in Queensland for not a great deal more.
I've got a couple of bikes at the moment so I'm in no hurry. I'd rather wait for the right bike to come along than buy in haste, repent at leisure, as the old saying goes. As a Brutale owner in the past I know that prices can very enormously and as great as I think they are, MV's can be difficult to sell or trade in Australia, we're such a small market.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geoff, firstly let me apologise for not dropping in on my way back from Margs. All I can say in my defence was that I was pushed for time to return the hire car in Perth and #1 daughter insisted on a 15 minute stop at Credaro Winery to show us the venue of her wedding next March. Needless to say, with wife and daughter in tow, outnumbered 2 to 1 with no support from the future son in law, 15 minutes turned into 2+ hours of looking, talking and wine tasting, (the girls not me), and then I was pretty well F%$ed with regards to dropping by your place.
Obviously I'm still in the market for a TV and have just made the difficult decision to advertise my Kawasaki ZRX1200R in order to free up some garage space and pacify the Minister for War and Finance.
I'm sure you won't give your bike away! I won't be handing the keys to my Kwaka away for a banana and handful of peanuts either. I just made the point that prices do seem to vary by quite a bit and finding the right buyer isn't always easy but as a previous and current MV owner I'm sure you're aware of that.
When I sold my low mileage, immaculate (subjective I realise) Brutale I'd already been told by the BMW dealer that they didn't take MV's in any shape or form as trade ins and the Triumph/MV dealer tried to pull my pants down by offering me something in the order of $4.5k as a trade against a brand new Triumph Tiger. Yes, I was pretty cranky but held out until a work buddy saw it in the bike shed one day and fell in love with it.
Appreciate you sending me your contact details and I won't discount flying back over at some point to look at your bike assuming it hasn't sold but right now my preference is to buy a bike on the East Coast because of shipping costs. I have ridden the Nullarbor before but I think I'm over that experience now!
Good Luck with the sale,
Cheers, Clive

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I think the issue here Clive is profit and convenience.

A bike shop wouldn't trade my Guzzi, although they all gathered around it admiringly, as it was primo. I have heard lots of anecdotes about bike shops offering three-fifths of bugger orl for bikes that were clearly a good investment. That's their jobs, some of them are jerks, but most are just running a business. Some sales staff don't even know much about the brands they sell let alone something as glamorous as an MV. As long as you know where you stand, all's fair in wine tasting and the motor trade.

I might be able to help, but the TVs down here that I mentioned previously may be more than your budget. I know that two of them aren't advertised, and I don't think the other is either. The latter is a new Lusso demo, so it would be about $20. Don't quote me. I think, the other two could be bought for a good price with a bit of luck and diplomacy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Your comments reflect my experiences in the main although there are exceptions. I'm all in favour of dealerships turning a profit on used bikes, that's what pays the wages and makes the world go around, but sometimes they try and take the piss big time. In the case of my Brutale, as I walked away the salesman sidled up to me and said "I think my Manager was trying to low ball you" to which I replied with a hint of sarcasm "really?". And as for the BMW dealer not taking MV's as trades because in his words, "they're too much of a risk when we have to provide a statutory used bike warranty", true to his word I've shopped there for 10 years and never seen one in his showroom.
With regards to a TV, I'm happy to look at all options tbh. I haven't set a budget as such but the days when I walked out of a showroom with the keys to a new vehicle of any description are long gone. The new bike smell soon goes but the hit in the wallet lasts far longer! I'm also a serial bike swapper and only last night I thought through what I've owned/ridden in the last 5 years. MV Brutale, Honda Africa Twin, BMW 1150GSA, BMW K1300R, BMW R1200R, BMW 1200GSA, BMW R9t and a Kawasaki ZRX1200R. Don't think I missed any! The observant will notice that there is a bit of a pattern. Oh, and I'm restoring a 71 BSA B50 SS Goldstar but at current rate of progress I'll be 80 before that's rideable!
If you have any leads please message me the details.
Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts