MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've taken my F4 750 EVO3 in to Mototechnic and am wondering if anyone has ever dealt with them.

Took her in start of August and they've done an inspection and found several things wrong.
- cracked exchaust
- front wheel bearings
- electrical issues (the bike wasn't starting)
- battery (they said i needed a new one but this was 6 weeks old - if that)
- oil leaks (gaskets are shitty)

The guy who was working on the bike went on holiday a couple of weeks ago and left little notes in the system (i went in to see them today but all I got was "need to speak to Drew")

I was quoted 1200 to fix all of the above but advised them to just do the electrical and gaskets. This is 620 (quoted over the phone)...

How long should it take for a shop to replace gaskets? (from when they wheel it onto the operating table)

What do you all think about pricing vs work that needs to be done?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've had several dealings with them and so far no complaints, even serviced my 1090RR, and if you have seen my 1090RR you would know I wont just let anyone touch it!! Owning an MV can be an expensive hobby, I'm fortunate that I'm in a position to "yes " on nearly anything that goes wrong and whatever she needs she gets.

James

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Well unfortunately they have big overheads,But i have spoken to them a few times via phone and email and they sound like they know the Mv brand pretty well.Still we probably need more info,are they waiting on parts etc etc etc.Your going to have to get the full story.What brand of battery did you put in ,tell them to test it as it is new and you already have warranty on it.If you do not push them then nothing will happen.

Ask the questions.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I have to wait for the guy (Drew) to come back from holidays but I'll post up the stuff. He didn't leave good notes for the others to go off (no price or anything) which made me lose a little bit of confidence.

But a couple of good write ups here is enough for me to feel ok about it all.

Not sure Dons, but that will be one of them, i think. The mechanic was pretty unsure about the whole affair and really wanted to wait for Drew to get back. There wasn't much transparency but i did take some photos... I'll see if i can get them up now or just mms you them.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Unfortunately labour prices is our Countries own worst enemy at the moment Duvall.
There's a bit of work to do, sump gasket is a pain in the arse, so in all honesty I don't think that price is too bad. Save up and get it all done, you need that cracked exhaust done, and you have no choice on front wheel bearings.
It's a pity about the battery, I've revived many a "dead" lead battery with by charger, hell it helped my standard last for maybe 4 years.

Hope to catch up while I'm over there dude.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, Dons. Let me know if you can catch up at the track or just around Melb. They've done an excellent job on the electronics and I'll post up the remainder of the work to be done when i get the quote. They've lowered it further to 500 which is cool but i wanna ride it to get a feel of what's wrong before giving the ok for the rest of it. And see what you think. Maybe there's stuff i can do first and for the harder stuff, give to them.

I'd rather give it a go first otherwise i don't learn

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Labour is 120-130 i think which is standard over here. I'm thinking 400 on labor and 100 on gaskets and parts. I'll post it all up tomorrow

·
Registered
42 Posts
Always had great service from them. Bought the bike from them, servicing & work prices are pretty reasonable. Most of my experience with them has been warranty work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have my bike back! - here's my experience

Now... here's the story... THE BACKGROUND
I call Mototechnic late July and had Adam from Action Towing (this guy is a legend and TOTALLY recommend him for motorcycle moving) take the bike to Mototechnic August 1st. Drew later quoted me 1200 for ALL repairs on the bike (I know, this can fluctuate when you find other things) and gave me a list of items. Out of those items I only asked for the gaskets (oil leaks) and electrical items to be fixed... along with the chain because there was rust on it. He then quoted me 620. I said ok... do it. For the first couple of weeks I called him to see if there was any progress but they hadn't seen to it. I had plenty of time so it didn't phase me at all... I left it. I go and see them on Monday 28th as I had heard nothing from them. I was advised that it was due to be worked on Tuesday 29th. I get a text on Oct 1st advising it was ready and the cost had dropped to 500.

Which brings me to yesterday - pick up bike day
So, I had a friend drop me off to pick up my bike and follow me home. I pay Adrian at Mototechnic $500, scored the attached documentation and rode away... 50m up the road I change lanes and indicate; the indicators stay on. I test the other side, stay on for that side. So I turn around and take it back.

First guys looks at it and then disappears, then Adrian comes out. Has a look and says it's probably the tail tidy (LED lights) and the resisters that are causing that behaviour (he really hated the tailtidy - it's attached). I tell him that it was working perfectly fine for a couple of years since I installed them... NEVER had a problem, even after the bike got shipped to Melb. I pointed to the indicator relay (I've had this problem before) and said last time I had this issue was with the relay. He fiddled around a bit and took the Power relay off. He got another one from the back (wired it up) and plugged it in. Again... the left indicators went on when indicating left and right with right. So he switched the connectors around and HORAAAAY the indicators are behaving as they should. He still blamed the tail tidy though (this is most frustrating) and handed me back the power relay. Then proceeded to charge me $20 for it (I think it still works - maybe changing the connectors around on that would have fixed the problem in the first place?)

So now I'm good to go... apart from the bike smoking (like oil is dripping on something hot under the tank/airbox and a big waft of smoke comes up around the ignition/key) it's running good.

The electrical work done on the bike looks professional and mint.

Now... the second attachment is the work to be done on the bike...

THIS HAS NOW INFLATED TO A WHOPPING 2000 fucking dollars!!!

The reason for the plate holder was due to the fact that it does sit on a 45 degree angle and extend to the end of the rear tyre. I said to him "didn't they change that rule to say you don't need to have that anymore?" and Adrian says that the law still applied but mentioned a technicality for another group.
I'm going to wipe 352.6 off the quote because it just simply does not need to be done. (num plate holder/plate holder/reflector/gasket)
I have a spare sprocket that I can wipe 399 off the bill.
I need to have the front wheel bearings done and sundries... but what do you think, Dons? (and everyone else...)

my mate who was there said Adrian was a bit "stand off ish" and I get that also... I get a lot of "not sure, speak to someone else" type which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The quality of work done is fucking brilliant (with the exception of plugging the power relay around the wrong way - that happens, I guess) I call them, they answer... customer service over the phone is excellent.

I hate the fact that he blamed my tail tidy for the indicators, fixed the work they had done on the power relay, then it worked...

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just re-read the stuff that needs to be done on page 2...

"indicators not flashing (staying on)" ... :cussing:

seriously...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TOP PICS = INVOICE (labelled tax invoice, top right hand corner)
Page 1:
* The table lists the cost of the parts and labour
* The next paragraph is notes taken by them based of conversation over phone
* Next line "fix only wiring and oil leaks" // this is an instruction (the bike still has a leak - there is smoke coming up from bike - noticeable when at lights)
* Notes from shop including observations they've made
Page 2:
* More notes from shop
* Cost of work performed on motorbike

---
Basically saying it's taken 3 hours to swap out 3 gaskets, inspect the bike, and fix the electronics so that it starts
---

NEXT SET OF PICS ARE A QUOTE
Page 1:
* Stuff they think needs doing on the bike
* $2100 estimated to fix the remaining items (that's 900 more than originally quoted - 1400 more when you include what I've already given them)
Page 2:
* Itemized list of stuff they think requires fixing

------
Basically saying it's going to cost 2100 to fix the remaining items they have found needs work
------

THE LAST PIC
is of my 2 bikes, but primarily of my MV with the tail tidy they have an issue with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If the bike is still leaking oil (and it's not just burning off stuff that was from the previous work)
they should fix that free if it's from one of the 3 gaskets they replaced, if it's from another place they missed at the initial diag you should be arguing reduced labor to fix as you shouldn't have to pay to pull the fairings off twice.

They didn't notice the cracked exhaust when they re mounted it? should have rung you and given quote for welding it up before bolting it back on.

The tail tidy bit I would tell them to ignore as it's not a safety issue unless you want to get a blue/pink slip from them. Price is for OEM number plate holder which will obviously be costly
Although you do need a reflector on the back, 1st thing a cop would spot.
You say you have a"sprocket" do you mean the whole kit (chain+sprockets) or just one sprocket as these should be replaced as a set.

Just get them to do the safety issue stuff and they can put a note on their invoice that they have noted other items may not comply with regs but you instructed then not to work on these.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If they are the same as the 1090 I wouldn't recommend getting the MV standard front wheel bearings. Apparently they are a very lightweight bearing. Mine went after 10000k's. MotoTechnica in Artarmon put a new set of generic ones in for me at around $25 each from memory.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've taken the bike back in. They should have fixed this shit the first time...

Unless Dons has changed my wheel bearings, mine have seen 20k+ kms.

I took the bike back in because...
1. the bike makes a funny electronic fizzling sound when turning the key off
2. the fans don't work
3. it's still leaking oil

I asked Drew for a reduction on labour because they should have fixed the leak BEFORE giving me back the bike... the electrical work too.

Effectively I've paid $500 for them to fix a wiring issue which stopped the bike from starting. everything else probably wasn't needed. This is why MV's are an expensive hobby.

I've attached the oil leak mess... this is one of the things I originally took it in for... how they didn't see this is :jsm:

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is so much oil pooling in the bellypan you could swim in it...
If you left the bike idling, it would turn itself off in 10mins once it hits 130 degrees...

I don't think they tested it before handing it back to the customer...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah it's really hard to find a good mechanic, it can turn the joy of owning a bike into a pain in the arse, so if ya find a good one hang on to him.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I finally have the call to get my bike back.
Advised $285 for fixing the original oil leak (this was a $5 part - they may have been nice with this price) which was due to an O-Ring. Makes me wonder if the sump/etc gasket needed doing in the first place??? who knows.
The second part of it was electronics.
They replaced the following
Fan Relay ($15. again, probably nice with the price)
Indicator Relay ($15)
Headlight Relay ($15)

They previously charged $30 for the Powerrelay (pretty sure)... this was to fix the buzzing sound I posted earlier.

The actual job the second time around $410. Drew advised that he me a $125 dollar discount bringing the price down to 285.

SO! ALL UP?
To fix all the electronics and oil leaks and a few extras like sump gaskets etc...

$785 and 4months 11days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's back at Mototechnica AGAIN!

My bike has gone back in again due to oil leaks not fixed.

First it was the seals (#5 - apparently they didn't see this when i first took it in) on the rocket cover.
Drew fixed that and then when i rode it up the road, the bike started smoking again; this was less than 5mins up the road. So i took it back...
Drew then checked them all 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and replaced the seals.
I then rode home and it started smoking again! :banghead:

now, this is what they're telling me... reality could be different but I gota take their word for it.

3 weeks later i take it back 06/02/2016 and was advised by another tech (forget the name) that this time it was where the plug (C) was - "the engine sucked the gasket in." He fixes that, puts the bike back together again and almost drops the gas tank :cussing: - yes, it slipped from his hands, landed on the frames and only just catches it with the help of the tubes connecting the thing to the bike. Anyway, once it is back together again he takes it for a ride.
He comes back and finds ANOTHER LEAK! (where the yellow circle is)
I didn't want to leave it with them so I go to ride it away and discover that now the bike has no power and is cutting out.:mad:

EVERY TIME THEY FIX SOMETHING, THEY BREAK SOMETHING!

It's almost like they aren't putting stuff back together again properly and something else goes wrong...
They haven't charged me the last 2 times which is good cos if they had, i would have completely lost my shit. The effort of them taking the fairings off/on, along with the tank/airbox each time for the last 2 times and not charging me is a big positive in my books. But it does leave me confused a little...

it seems like such a simple exercise if done right but it's turning out to be a nightmare.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts