MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is the dip-stick to be screwed in completely or just placed onto of the case?
The workshop manual isn't clear. For example, my RVF workshop manual states don't screw the cap in to measure.

Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
Don't screw it in.

F3 Oil Level - Workshop Manual.jpg

F3 Oil Level Check.jpg

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - although the line "unscrew the filler cap" does imply that it was screwed in.
But I'll measure it this way.
Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
The oil cap is screwed in to begin with; therefore you must uncrew the cap initially.

Notice it doesn't tell you to screw the cap in to check oil level when adding, then checking level.

What you infer is based on your experience.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, the manual is singularly confusing with this.

I have had it previously confirmed by Bennetts of Barnsley that you don't screw in, you check with a dip, after I had the same confusion from the manual skimming over it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You just have to make the assumption that the engineer who designed it had some degree of intelligence, because only a moron would design it to be screwed back in to check the level.:)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The handbook for the TV is equally confusing on this.

I take it as unscrew, wipe clean and then dip and check.

Just unscrewing and checking would assume that the level be checked with the dip-stick screwed home with any subsequent checks needing the dip-stick be screwed home each time and then unscrewed again to check. Seems too counter intuitive to do it that way to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. Wish the handbook was more definitive.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well I just went n checked mine after reading this as it just had a service last week. So, unscrewed, wiped, dipped and it's bang on max (while holding the bike upright).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You just have to make the assumption that the engineer who designed it had some degree of intelligence, because only a moron would design it to be screwed back in to check the level.:)
You've seen how many screws, of different size and length it takes to hold the fairing on, yes?
:D

·
Registered
895 Posts
You've seen how many screws, of different size and length it takes to hold the fairing on, yes?
:D
Touche'

I think the guy that organised the fasteners was the same guy who designed the "rearview" mirrors, hopefully he had nothing to do with the engine.:stopp:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeed. The mirrors are great comedy value. :)

Headlights become spirals

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Touche'

I think the guy that organised the fasteners was the same guy who designed the "rearview" mirrors, hopefully he had nothing to do with the engine.:stopp:
I suspect in their youth this same person was responsible for the Ducati Indiana, built by Cagiva, to need 5 keys. That is, 5 different styles, shapes and sizes. :jsm:
A large Ducati ignition key, one for the seat, another for the locking gas cap, as well as one each for the locking steering head and helmet lock.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
This guy must have gotten the sack before they designed the TV as the mirrors aren't too bad for an Italian bike IMHO. Could be a touch wider but then that would increase the overall width of the bike so I accept a partial view of my elbows...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd read that the other way. It suggests to me that the correct reading is from the screwed in position.
The manual says with the bike upright, unscrew the filler cap, and read the oil level from the dipstick, as it was from the fully screwed in postition. It doesn't tell you to unscrew, wipe, dip, check level.

My previous bike was a Triumph Street Triple, that had to be checked by screwing in the dipstick, but at least the manual was explicit:

1. Start the engine and run at idle for approximately five minutes.
2. Stop the engine, then wait for at least three minutes for the oil to settle.
3. Remove the dipstick, wipe the blade clean and screw fully home.
4. Remove the dipstick.
5. The oil level is indicated by lines on the dipstick. When full, the indicated oil level must be level with the upper marking on the dipstick.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So...one thing that we can agree on is that MV need a technical writer who has some understanding of mechanics and primary language is English but is fluent in Italian (as opposed to primary Italian & fluent in English - after over seeing quite a few technical releases this is a big difference )

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
R-6 Yammy...this ain't no Jap bike...

People working on these machines are assumed to have some level of mechanical prowess...although that is disproven almost every day.

I would assume, then, that you would do as the manual says is section 6.1 and just "remove" and "place back" the plug ... without ever turning it to unscrew, or screw???!!

As Boomer says on the NFL Channel: C'Mon man!:ahhh::smoking:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
So does this mean then the Brutale 3 cylinder 800cc engine is different to all the other 3 cylinder 800cc engines? ;)

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1471389133.811985.jpg

And if you own a Stradale 800 then it appears your not supposed to check it at all because there is no maintenance manual for the bike? Checked through the USB stick that came with the paperwork and User manual but aside from containing manuals for just about every other model, past and present, there is no PDF manuals for the bike that the the USB stick came with? Tried using the apps online updater but unsurprisingly it didn't work :D

It is a nice chrome finished metal 2GB USB stick rather than the 500MB cheap plastic one that came with my Brutale 800 so I guess that's one plus side to it :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Silentservice, I was referring to the manual for my Triumph Street Triple, pretty sure that ain't a jap bike. I'm not getting pedantic about whether the manual tells me to remove with or without screwing, just pointing out that some bikes are designed for the dipstick level marks to be accurate when screwed in, others when rested on the top of the threads.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts